GS6500 Belly mount grader? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-27-2006, 12:05 AM   post #1 of 14
Leon
Eclectic HillBilly

MTF Member # 2159
Default GS6500 Belly mount grader?

This is my first post here. I have read a lot of good stuff.

I want to make a belly mount grader for my tractor. I have a brush bumper on it.

I was thinking I could mount it to the mount for a dozer blade or the scoop mount. The brackets that bolt to the tractor. Who thinks that would work? I have tried to open the owners manuals from the sears site. It only opens one page.

I wonder witch mount would work best? If I could see pics it would help. I would like to leave the bumper on.

Where could I find pics and part numbers for these parts?

In the end I want to have a johnny bucket on my sleeve hitch and mid mounted grader blade. I want to have a load of gravel dumped in the fall. Then I want to fill in some spots in the drive and make a few trails through the woods.

Another reason I want a mid mount is I have some rough land. A mid mount blade by my way of thinking. Could hang at deck level and smooth out some of those spots before I hit the mower deck.

Thanks for any help, general ideas or tails of real life success or failure with this kind of thing.

I had also thought of drilling two more holes in the sleeve hitch to mount the grader. But I do need more weight on the front end while I use the box blade.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2006, 12:33 AM   post #2 of 14
Splicer

MTF Member # 1134
Default Re: GS6500 Belly mount grader?

I'm confused...you say the box blade is on front? They go on the rear...you can leave the brush guard on and still use the dozer blade...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush Guard Installation 009.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	9959  
Splicer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2006, 08:45 AM   post #3 of 14
Leon
Eclectic HillBilly

MTF Member # 2159

I have a box blade on the rear now. I want to put a johnny bucket junior in the rear when I get my gravel. Then mount a smaller blade where the mower deck goes.

Some of the turns through the woods will be kind of tight.

http://www.johnnyproducts.com/images...icts/SHLUP.JPG

This bucket

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attach...achmentid=7213

and a blade like this.

Me and my friends can build the a frame and find a blade. I just want to find parts numbers for mounting brackets.

The brackets for your dozer blade should work. Do you still have your manual and does it have a part number for the brackets?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:00 AM   post #4 of 14
Splicer

MTF Member # 1134

The dozer blade model # is 486.244122...you can go to sears.com and look up all the parts to see if they are suitable for your project.

I still don't see why a bucket would be mounted on the rear tho??? Seems thats why they are called a FEL (front end loader)...
Splicer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2006, 04:45 PM   post #5 of 14
Leon
Eclectic HillBilly

MTF Member # 2159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
I still don't see why a bucket would be mounted on the rear tho??? Seems thats why they are called a FEL (front end loader)...
I want to put the bucket on the back. When I cut the trails through the trees. I want to take out as few trees as possible. The trails have to be wheelchair and electric scooter friendly. Under 5% grade. I may have to put in a hair pin curve or two. I think if my bucket is on the rear. It will follow the path of the box blade. Then I won't have an when I start moveing gravel.

I have started to cut the trails now but I will not have the Johnny bucket and the gravel till September. My vacation is in september too.

It seems as if the best options to attach the blade will be to make another bracket that would use the same bolt holes as the bumper bracket. Longer bolts and bolt them to the inside. Then use the brackets for the dozer blade to mount a lift lever.

I am thinking now after looking it over. I will have to mount the blade farther back from the front wheels. I don't want the Dirt to pile up to close to the pto pully and steering gear.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:01 PM   post #6 of 14
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

I think that this is gonna be a mostly self engineered project. I don't know much about the mounts and such for Craftsman tractors, but it sounds like you have already started looking at some design issues and wisely so. It sounds like staying clear of the front steering gear and PTO are good decisions. You might want to make a mock up in corragated cardboard of your mounts and linkages to see what is gonna work. Just make sure that what you set up is good leverage wise, so you don't have to exert 300 pound of pull on your lift to raise a 100 pound blade. That's about all the help I can offer which I realize isn't much, but I wish you good luck on this. Sounds like you are doing this for a good cause.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2006, 05:51 PM   post #7 of 14
Mith_J
Eccentric Englishman

MTF Member # 801

I am not familiar with your tractor in particualr, but i'm guessing that there is some sort or mount on the front of the mower deck to the chassis. maybe connect 2 arms back from these mounts on the chassis to the blade, than have some sort of lever to lift the blade.
Have you taken a look at other mid blade designs?
If you post a picture of the underside of your tractor near the front area where the axle is then it might be easier to pinpoint a place where the blade could attach, then lift the blade with the mower deck lift lever?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:10 AM   post #8 of 14
Leon
Eclectic HillBilly

MTF Member # 2159

The more I looked at the front I found more and more things that I would have to work around.

I am going to drill two holes in the sleeve hitch and mount it there. I hae started a cardboard mock up. That will let me know if it will fit.

The basic a frame will be 36 inches total. From the hitch 18 inches then a bend to taper in to center.

The frame only has a 12 inch clearance. I will have to go with a 4 or 5 inch blade.

Lifting with the mower deck lifter sounds like a good idea. If I can keep the weight down. I think it will be close to the weight of the mower deck. My blade will not need to be 1/2 inch thick.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 AM   post #9 of 14
Patrick B
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 5115

Splicer, Your blade looks different than mine. Mine has 2 levers, one for lifting/lowering (right) and one for swivel (left). I would like to put on a brush guard but sears rep said I couldn't have dozer blade and brush guard at same time. I hope you know better because that would be great!

Patrick
Newbie 6500
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 12:42 PM   post #10 of 14
GruvThang
MTF Member

Location: Just off the Appalachian Trail in Northern Virginia
MTF Member # 2813

Leon,

I have read this thread a couple of times and think I understand. you want a grader/dozer blade and a bucket on the same machine but do not want to have it be the 11 feet long (guestimation from a measurement on my GT5000 with landscape rake) that the "out of the box" solution is.

If the above is correct, here is what little knowledge I can share with you.

1. Our GTs are not known for their cornering to begin with, add the weight of a JBJr full of gravel to the back and steering will be non-existant, especially on uphill grades, no matter what you put under it.

2. Putting the JBJr off of the sleeve hitch, it will not follow the belly grader in a tight turn. (Once again guestimation you would be 1/2 to 2/3 off the "graded path" at the tightest turn.)

I suggest that if you are going to get the JBJr, put it on the front, keep the box blade on the back and ammend the trail design. That would nullify the steering and track issues. I am not sure if you can keep the bumper on with the JBJr on front I am not sure if that would still be an issue or not. If that is not feasible, I would rent a skid steer.

Although the prospect of following your build of a mid mount-blade is appitizing, I fear the overall end result will be much less than you expect. You could build one for me if you want!

Like I said it is just my $.02.
GruvThang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 PM   post #11 of 14
Dan Lovell
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1486

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvThang
Leon,

I have read this thread a couple of times and think I understand. you want a grader/dozer blade and a bucket on the same machine but do not want to have it be the 11 feet long (guestimation from a measurement on my GT5000 with landscape rake) that the "out of the box" solution is.

If the above is correct, here is what little knowledge I can share with you.

1. Our GTs are not known for their cornering to begin with, add the weight of a JBJr full of gravel to the back and steering will be non-existant, especially on uphill grades, no matter what you put under it.

2. Putting the JBJr off of the sleeve hitch, it will not follow the belly grader in a tight turn. (Once again guestimation you would be 1/2 to 2/3 off the "graded path" at the tightest turn.)

I suggest that if you are going to get the JBJr, put it on the front, keep the box blade on the back and ammend the trail design. That would nullify the steering and track issues. I am not sure if you can keep the bumper on with the JBJr on front I am not sure if that would still be an issue or not. If that is not feasible, I would rent a skid steer.

Although the prospect of following your build of a mid mount-blade is appitizing, I fear the overall end result will be much less than you expect. You could build one for me if you want!

Like I said it is just my $.02.
With the JBJR why would you want a bumper, by the way I don't think Splicer is with us anymore.

Dan
Dan Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 PM   post #12 of 14
GruvThang
MTF Member

Location: Just off the Appalachian Trail in Northern Virginia
MTF Member # 2813

From the previous posts, it seemed that Leon wanted to keep the bumper on. However, I just noticed the dates and doubt he will be reading this anyway.
GruvThang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2007, 11:07 PM   post #13 of 14
Leon
Eclectic HillBilly

MTF Member # 2159

Well it worked out that the tractor don't a lot of clearance for a belly blade. The box scraper does a pretty good job and the ground packs down hard enough that it doesn't really need gravel.

I do still need to get some weight of the front though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 06:16 PM   post #14 of 14
craftsmanlover
MTF Member

MTF Member # 5193

Thats a good idea.
craftsmanlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.