PVC pipe for diesel fuel tank? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Mike Dodd
MTF Member

MTF Member # 66808
Default PVC pipe for diesel fuel tank?

Yesterday we bought two 300-gallon plastic-in-metal-frame tanks that originally held glycol aircraft de-icing fluid. We plan to use these to store diesel fuel for our BX-2360 and a diesel generator.

The tanks have low side outlets with PVC ball valves and 2" pipe-thread fittings. I would like to plumb these two tanks together with 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings, terminating in a tee and reducer to 1/2" pipe nipple. A vinyl tube will be clamped on the 1/2" nipple, and the other end of the tube will have a similar 1/2" nipple, a ball valve, and a short nipple, to serve as a filler spout for a gravity-feed system.

Are there any problems with using PVC for diesel fuel? A Google search turned up everything from "no problem" to "only a fool would do this."

Thanks for any definitive information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Tanks 2012-06-07.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	216771  
Woods 44" PTO tiller
King Kutter 4' PTO finishing mower
CountyLine 60" rear blade
King Kutter 60" landscape rake
CountyLine Middle buster
CountyLine Boom pole
Row shaper
Quick-attach pallet forks
3PH trailer hitch
Mike Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
JFordBronco
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26902
Default Re: PVC pipe for diesel fuel tank?

err on the side of caution of "only a fool would do this." : ) I have no other advice on this subject....sorry

MF 1532 with FL100 5' FEL SOLD
5' Big Bee bush-hog SOLD
6' Rhino finishing mower SOLD
6' County Line/King Kutter box blade
12" Everything Attachments Single Bottom Plow
5' Howse disc(DLHT16822B) SOLD
5' Everything Attachments Garden Bedder
Everything Attachments Trailer Mover
Everything Attachments Potato Plow

Thanks Wifey for buying it for me
JFordBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
kennyd
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 50540

I think it will be fine...but do you really need 600 gallons of fuel?

I think I read somewhere also that they used some non-standard threads on these tanks so check that carefully as well.
FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks,I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.

John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Also check out www.greentractortalk.com
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Water boy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 24976

I have the exact same container, I am going to use it as sprayer for fertilizer. Why don't you take the PVC in question and put it in a small container of diesel fuel for a month or so to see if it has any adverse effects. Also, I would use sch 80, because it is thicker.

WB
Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Curly69
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45653

Just a question? I used to use the semi-clear white ones for water in my garden and trees and such and used to get green algae growing on the inside. I was told to use a solid colored one to eliminate the algae.
I have noticed even some on here who have made their own rain water collection systems use a solid color. Just a thought.
Pittsburgh/Taylor-Way Tiller
EMCO Auger 9" bit
5' Pittsburgh Scrape Blade
48" Cultivator / Hiller
Homelite Super XL 25 yrs+ and still humming
Homelite XL 25 yrs+ and humming away
Echo weedeater SRM251E
TroyBilt Log Splitter
Curly69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
UrbanTractor
Likes Vintage JDs

MTF Member # 38663

Diesel stores well compared to gasoline, but it would take a LOOOONG time to get through 600 gallons with the BX. Hopefully you are using the generator a lot, too?

One suggestion is to avoid tying the two tanks together. That way if you develop contamination in one tank, you may still have good fuel in the other.

Also, it's usually a good idea to have the pick-up line a few inches above the bottom of the tank, to help avoid draining contaminants that usually accumulate at the bottom of the tank over time. These look like they drain at the very bottom of the tanks. So it might also be smart, to install some kind of pre-filter/separator in the filling line so that you don't have to rely on the tractor or generator filtering system.

1966 JD 110 Round Fender Integral Sleeve Hitch, Model 42 Blade, Model 36 Snowthrower, Model 36 MMM, 1964 Model 80 Cart

1972 JD 140 H3 Model 54/48" 4-Way Blade, Model 43 Blade, Model 48 MMM, 542 PTO, 3-Point-Hitch, Heavy-Hitch, Model 15 Cart, Johnson Model 12 FEL (in progress), MTF Dec. 2013 Machine of the Month
UrbanTractor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
John@Reliable
Banned!

MTF Member # 37003

I work with oil tanks a lot, and I wouldn't use vinyl tubing as a equalizer. Either hard piped with swing joints, or 1/2" soft copper line along with ball valves and flare fittings with a little extra line to allow for any settling. I also would top feed the supply line with a dip tube about 2" off bottom from one tank, as the equalizer will let the tanks both be at the same level. Also try to keep the tanks out of the sun as it will cause sludge due to *condensation, so a treatment program is really a good idea too.
* Many tanks are available today that are plastic, but they are covered to protect them from the elements.
John@Reliable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
chaosracing
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 56116

600 Gallons is alot of fuel for that BX and a generator. I only go thru about 100 gallons a year with my B. And thats using it alot. Also there is a problem with those tanks. If you are going to store outside, they could gel up (unless you put additive in them) plus it will grow algea inside of them. As for plumbing onto them, standard pipe thread connections will work on them, but I know alot came thru with quick disconnect fittings as well. But like mentioned before, you have to worry about the sludge build up on the bottom. I use a 30 gal drum for my fuel and I use a standard drum pump to get it out. After about 5 years, the bottom is black (its a white/clear drum) Next time before I fill it up, I am going to agitate the drum with a little fuel in it and try to get out what I can.
Homebuilt Yard Vac
Trying to make a few attachments for it
chaosracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Upper5Percent
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dodd View Post
Yesterday we bought two 300-gallon plastic-in-metal-frame tanks that originally held glycol aircraft de-icing fluid. We plan to use these to store diesel fuel for our BX-2360 and a diesel generator.

The tanks have low side outlets with PVC ball valves and 2" pipe-thread fittings. I would like to plumb these two tanks together with 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings, terminating in a tee and reducer to 1/2" pipe nipple. A vinyl tube will be clamped on the 1/2" nipple, and the other end of the tube will have a similar 1/2" nipple, a ball valve, and a short nipple, to serve as a filler spout for a gravity-feed system.

Are there any problems with using PVC for diesel fuel? A Google search turned up everything from "no problem" to "only a fool would do this."

Thanks for any definitive information.
If this is an OLDER diesel set generator...you may want to read this...
http://www.stowerscat.com/pdf.asp?id=130

Long Term Storage Considerations
•Generally diesel fuel is consumed 90-120 days after refining.
•Generally accepted shelf life of diesel fuel ≤ 12 months.
Fuel stored >12months after receipt by the end user is classified as long term storage fuel by ASTM D975 and increases probability of quality failure.
•Although ULSD is a more stable fuel, long term stored fuel must be monitored.

Last edited by Upper5Percent; 06-09-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Upper5Percent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
evo803
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39797

Unless you are a doomsday prepper or getting the fuel is a real PITA I would not consider doing this. Way to many risks for very little reward.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
Mike Dodd
MTF Member

MTF Member # 66808

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo803 View Post
Unless you are a doomsday prepper or getting the fuel is a real PITA I would not consider doing this. Way to many risks for very little reward.
In fact, one of the factors for setting up the fuel storage is emergency preparedness. A solar power system is another factor, as is a manual deep-well water pump.

We want the diesel generator available to supply power when the grid is down and the solar system can't meet the power demand.

We've decided to keep only one tank, so we'll be storing a maximum of 250-300 gallons.

I called the local fuel distributor, and he doesn't see any problem filling a plastic tank with PVC fittings. He'll check further and call me back.

Question: Can/should I store just 100-150 gallons of fuel for normal tractor/generator use, and add more only if it looks like society is about to collapse? I know about adding anti-microbe solution.

We'd like to have some backup fuel. No sense in having the tractor and generator if there won't be any fuel for 'em after a couple of months.

Question: The Yanmar diesel generator is new, so there shouldn't be any problem with low-sulfur fuel. However, the oil distributor mentioned high-sulfur fuel. Which should I get?

Thanks again for the insights.
Woods 44" PTO tiller
King Kutter 4' PTO finishing mower
CountyLine 60" rear blade
King Kutter 60" landscape rake
CountyLine Middle buster
CountyLine Boom pole
Row shaper
Quick-attach pallet forks
3PH trailer hitch
Mike Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
Team_Green
Banned!

MTF Member # 7124

Paint your tank black to slow down the growth of mold. Try and put the tank on the north side of a building or make a "shelter" for it to keep direct sun light off it. try to use the fuel often. If you have a diesel pick up use the fuel in the truck once in a while to "rotate" the fuel supply..
Team_Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
7sleeper
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33172

Instead of high sulphur diesel fuel I would add 2 stroke oil to the diesel at ~1:200. That should be more than sufficient for any lubrication of inside parts.

Can't find the link at the moment where the testing was done.

edit: found it

http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/cop...-version-3.pdf
7sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
evo803
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dodd View Post
In fact, one of the factors for setting up the fuel storage is emergency preparedness. A solar power system is another factor, as is a manual deep-well water pump.

We want the diesel generator available to supply power when the grid is down and the solar system can't meet the power demand.

We've decided to keep only one tank, so we'll be storing a maximum of 250-300 gallons.

I called the local fuel distributor, and he doesn't see any problem filling a plastic tank with PVC fittings. He'll check further and call me back.

Question: Can/should I store just 100-150 gallons of fuel for normal tractor/generator use, and add more only if it looks like society is about to collapse? I know about adding anti-microbe solution.

We'd like to have some backup fuel. No sense in having the tractor and generator if there won't be any fuel for 'em after a couple of months.

Question: The Yanmar diesel generator is new, so there shouldn't be any problem with low-sulfur fuel. However, the oil distributor mentioned high-sulfur fuel. Which should I get?

Thanks again for the insights.
I would try an figure out what an emergency supply amount is roughly.

What is the longest time you have been without power and how much fuel did the generator use ? The longest time one winter for me was 11 days @ 12 gallons per day. Also figure in oil & filter for change every 100 hrs.

If the answer is a 7 days then I would add that figure to how much fuel your tractor would use running 10hrs day for the same period, I am figuring on storm cleanup etc. If you have a diesel truck add an amount for going out of the area or state to pick up food and water etc. The total of those should be a good place to start.

The second tank you should use for clean water , in case your ground well becomes contaminated.

As for storage I would build a small shed that housed both tanks. I personaly would not want anyone seeing and knowing of my fuel/water supply. In times of emergency groups of people can get pack mentality quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Team_Green
Banned!

MTF Member # 7124

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo803 View Post

The second tank you should use for clean water , in case your ground well becomes contaminated.

As for storage I would build a small shed that housed both tanks. I personaly would not want anyone seeing and knowing of my fuel/water supply. In times of emergency groups of people can get pack mentality quickly.
All very good advise..
Team_Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.