New Owner Ford Jubilee NAA - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 AM   post #1 of 35
Scott Johnson
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 39905
Default New Owner Ford Jubilee NAA

Hello Everyone,
Lurked in the background for a long time. Love this site!!! You can find info on just about anything that has 4 wheels!!! Bought a 1954 Ford Jubilee for $1400. I thiink I did well. A couple of questions to the more qualified. It is still 6 volt and looks to be pretty original. After it's started, upon idle, it sounds pretty good. Upon driving on an incline or in a higher gear, it doesn't have the power it should have, almost seems like it's flooding out, it will almost die if you don't clutch it. It sit for 2 years with about a gallon of gas in it. I intended on draining the gas and replacing it, but between idling and finding a spot to load it on the trailer, I ran all the old gas thru it. When I put fresh gas in, didn't seem to really improve performance. Looking for some guidance on what to look at first. It doesn't smoke at all during idling, but under load, etc, uphill, does start smoking somewhat, can't really tell if it is white or grey, black?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5H85X55J13Lf3M13F7c5f2598feadd98518d8.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	216290   Click image for larger version

Name:	5Nb5E65X63Ka3m43N8c5feb3221fb5ad21423.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	216291  
Scott Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 AM   post #2 of 35
Dollar Bill
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 59601
Default Re: New Owner Ford Jubilee NAA

Might be time for a tune up - Here's some NAPA part numbers for you:

Condenser: FD75X (Premium)

Rotor: FD-108

Distributor Cap: FD-128

Points hold down screws #8-32 X 3/16 - Ford auto parts counter p/n 355047-S7 They have built-in lock washer. (#8-32 X 0.19)

Spark Plugs: AL-437 or champion H12

Borg Warner - Available at OíReillyís

Condenser: G141
Rotor: D194
Cap: C144 or C144P

Plugs and points are gapped at .025

Standing in front of tractor looking toward rear, engine turns CW. Distributor turns CW.

Distributor is installed with the oiler toward the timing cover - behind the oil filler/breather tube so itís out of the way.

The firing order is 1-2-4-3 with one being at the front or closet to the radiator.

Timing 7 degrees BTDC.

I recommend you set full advance to 29-31 degrees at 2000 RPM and don't worry about the idle setting.

You may later find your problem is fuel related but it's probably a good idea to bring the electrics up to spec before delving into the fuel.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:13 AM   post #3 of 35
JohnW
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1445
Garage

and your new to you tractor.

Give it a good tune up, but DO NOT mess with the carb or fuel system other than to clean out the sediment bowl. No need to get into that if it is not needed and besides most running/power issues are electrical anyway. Service the oil and filters and while tuning it up do a compression check to get an idea of the internal condition of the engine. The compression numbers can tell you a lot and if you need help post them here.

Use whatever brand engine oil you want in it nothing special required and regular unleaded fuel is perfectly fine to run in it, no need for any kind of lead additive. The lift system will use 134D oil and the tranny and differential will use 90wt oil or you can use the 134D in all 3 compartments in case the seals leak between them.

Ask any and all questions you have and more importantly ENJOY your tractor.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 AM   post #4 of 35
Scott Johnson
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 39905

Guys,
Thanks to both of you for you replies. I was thinking tackling the carb, fuel area first, but you guys both recommend the same thing, that's where I will start. Probably be the first of the week before I can give an update.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 PM   post #5 of 35
sugarmaker
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 74411

Scott,
Congrats on the new Ford! Nice looking tractor at a reasonable price. And it Runs too I have one to and am also new to this site. Hope to share some Jubilee stories with you.
Regards,
Chris

www.mapleandhoney.com
1950 WD Allis-Chalmers (Was Dads)
1953 Ford Jubilee
1971 Cub 147R and implements
Cub 127
Cub 73
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 AM   post #6 of 35
Scott Johnson
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 39905

OK,
Got a chance to work with the tractor a little bit today. One thing I had forgot to mention orginally was it had already had new plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, points, everything looks new. Stopped at NAPA and bought all this again, removed the plugs, plug 3 was what I would call sooted, 4 was wet and sooted, 2 and 1 were both sooted. They still look new with the exception of the soot. I removed each one and cleaned each one with sand paper, checked the gap, they were all .28, and removed the distributor cap, again, it all looks new, but I did take some sand paper to what I assume is the rotor, sorry but not real mechanically inclined. It did allow me to get it started, although not what you would expect. Tested it on incline and it did seem to do a little better so after parking it, I let it run while I worked on some other stuff around the building. It still sounds like it's not firing on all cylinders, and it finally died just sitting at a little above idling RPM's.
I guess I could replace the above listed, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the soot would signify. Also, this evening, when I tried to start it again, it wouldn't start, so I removed the plugs again. Number 4 was clean as a whistle, with a little gas on it, plugs 3,2,1 were all sooted and dry. Again this allowed me to get it started, but it died on me before I was able to return from the hilly incline where I've been testing it. Ran out of time, so I thought I would post this much. I'm a little leary of turning the distributor to set the timing, something I've not done before, but I don't think I can make it much worse, since it's so hard to start and not usable so far. Suggestions appreciated along with patience!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 AM   post #7 of 35
Dollar Bill
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 59601

Soot indicates a carbon fouled plug - It could be from too rich of a mixture or spark that is too weak. A fouled plug will not deliver the proper spark as electrical energy will take the path of least resistance which would be the carbon rather than jumping the gap between the electrodes (that's why it's missing). Seeing that you have some cylinders that aren't sooting up, we can rule out carb problems for the time being and concentrate on proper spark.

Since the tractor has been sitting for a couple of years, there's a lot of unknowns that must be verified to get the engine running properly. Rather than throw a whole bunch of troubleshooting steps at you, let's take it one step at a time lest you get wrapped around the axle.

First thing to do is put in the new Autolite 437 spark plugs that are gapped to .025 - You cannot clean spark plugs with sand paper. The ones you removed are contaminated with invisible fuel deposits resulting from flooding the engine while trying to start it. If they aren't AL-437's or Champion H-12, throw them away. If they are, clean them with carb or brake cleaner and keep them for spares.

Next, verify the points are set to .025 on each lobe of the distributor shaft.

Is the battery fully charged and does the charging system work? Weak battery will give you a weak spark.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 AM   post #8 of 35
Scott Johnson
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 39905

Dollar Bill,
Thanks so much for the reply. I bought new plugs from NAPA, they are the H12's, should I not use them and get the Autolite's? Also, the battery is weak at best, it's has a 2008 date on it. I've kept in on charge while I not tinkering with the tractor, but I know it's weak, verified by the previous owner. Those two issues I will resolve this morning, the setting of the points I'll probably need some baby sitting on that one. Again, thanks a bunch!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:04 PM   post #9 of 35
Dollar Bill
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 59601

I've always used the AL-437's because they come so highly recommended - I'm sure the Champions are just as good.

Setting the points is relatively easy; use the fan to turn the engine over until one of four lobes inside the distributor spread the points open the farthest. Use a clean feeler gauge to measure the distance between the contact points - The proper setting is .025" If they don't measure up, loosen the screw that will allow you to move the points frame open or closed to get the correct adjustment. You should see a hole in the points plate that coincides with a slot in the points frame to insert a screwdriver in order to manipulate the points opening. Check the point gap on all four lobes of the distributor shaft as you indicated some spark plugs read differently than others - Just trying to rule out a worn distributor.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:38 PM   post #10 of 35
Scott Johnson
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 39905

Hello all,
I bought a new 640 cold cranking amp battery, new H12 Champion plugs, set the plug gap at .25, and it fired right up. Went up my triall hill, pulled like a champ, even at a low idle, crawled so to speak. Only other item that may have been having a negative effect was, I hate to even say it, a couple of the wires weren't seated real good in the cap on the distributor, not sure how much that would affect the whole running, starting process, but I know I've got a sweet running machine right now. I didn't get a chance to run it very long, only about five minutes, but I wanted to drive it to work I was so happy!!! Haven't messed with the point setting yet, as I ran out of time, but the way it started, have to believe they are OK. Off on Monday, going to hook a Bush Hog to it and see how she does!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:26 AM   post #11 of 35
Dollar Bill
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 59601

Glad to hear it! Thanks for posting back and letting us know of your success!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM   post #12 of 35
Scott Johnson
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 39905

Update on new tractor purchase. I finally got around to getting a PTO shaft cut to fit my NAA and bushhog. It's a 6 foot King Kutter. Couple more questions for the more mechanically inclined. First, after getting it going I attempted to start bushhogging, it almost immediately died once it was under load and give me the same symptoms before I put new plugs and a battery on. Would not restart. Once I got home today, I cleaned the plugs with brake cleaner, all look very sooted again, this after no more than 15 minutes on the new plugs. It fired right up, got it back to the building and parked it.
What's confusing to me is how well it fires up with clean plugs and what's causing them to soot up so fast? Also, when I raised the RPM level to activate the 3 point system, I did notice some black smoke from the exhaust. My second concern, my bushhog is 6 foot, is this too big for this tractor and would this cause it to stall and not restart? I haven't done anything with the timing because it starts so quickly. Thanks for the replies. Love this site!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 AM   post #13 of 35
Kirk-NJ
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 9444

I would suggest getting a manual from the stickies/manual section or elsewhere. Check your compression. These old tractors will run on three cylinders but if you put a load on them will die. the six foot brushug is a little big, 5' would be better. You can still use it but when raised will lighten the front considerably and make it harder to steer. You will quickly learn how to steer with your brakes. An ORC should be used when brushogging'

Kirk
Kirk-NJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 AM   post #14 of 35
Dollar Bill
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 59601

Black sooty plugs indicate the mixture is too rich or you choke isn't going back to neutral. Initial adjustment of the MAIN MIXTURE screw is 1-1/2 turns away from the seat and screws in for LEAN, out for RICH.

A six foot hog will give it a work out in tall grass but it shouldn't stall the tractor just by engaging the PTO. The carb mixture is likely the culprit.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 AM   post #15 of 35
thenubsterman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 63713

Scott,

These old tractors are the best way to learn when your not mechanically inclined, because they are very basic when it comes to ignition. Plus it only takes basic hand tools to do most of the chores on these ol' girls.
thenubsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.