Good little tiller find- Worth it??? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
yellowcat
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 70302
Default Good little tiller find- Worth it???

I found a 90 year guy selling off some things today and he let this little Craftsman tiller go for $35. He said it was running fine last he put it in storage about 8 years ago. I took it home and checked the spark plug..it looked fine and getting plenty of spark. Needed some gas but all I had handy was 16:1 ratio and I thought..well..I will just try it to see if I can get it running...even though I see on the label it calls for 24:1...but I don't think that little difference would hurt.

I put some gas in and tried to crank it but no go yet. I hear it wants to run a little with some starter fluid..maybe 3 seconds then dies...I am sure it might need new pump diaphragm or maybe a good cleaning in the carb? It is a walbro carb. Anyone know a carb kit price for these? Any ever do any work on this particular model? I tried pulling off the carb but is has a heck of a setup holding it. The way the nuts are holding it down..is no room to fit a socket over it..not a box end wrench....strange they made it this way...Im trying to find an open end wrench to fit it...Im pretty sure it metric? What was these things going for when sold new ? Can anyone tell the date when this thing was made by my photos?

yellowcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
yellowcat
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 70302
Default Re: Good little tiller find- Worth it???

I tried doing a parts lookup on seardirect website but they show only parts for tiller frame...no engiine or carb parts there. The schematic was so bad also I can barely see it. What company made this engine for Craftsman? Anyone know a site with a decent parts list for engine, carb..etc?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
yellowcat
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 70302

Took a few more photos so maybe someone can help me find out if this was a Tecumseh TC series and if so which one. I went to one website place that sold parts for these engines and they wanted $49 for a carb kit. I nearly flipped. This must be a typo? If not where can get cheaper..heck..last carb kit I got for a 2cycle was $7. This one has a Walbro carb but where on the carb are the numbers to identify which? Only numbers I found so far was inside one of the diaphram covers- J01.

Can the numbers on the engine also tell the date the engine it was made ...not too familiar with this 2cycle Tecumseh if that what it really is.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Oo-v-oO
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 32338
Garage

It sure looks like a Tecumseh TC series, but the number on the blower shroud doesn't really match the format in the Tecumseh TC series Technician's Handbook.

Here is some more info that indicates it is a Tecumseh: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ou...al-needed.html

Aha - using the 200.651001 Sears number, that does cross over to a TC200-2109C Tecumseh.

So.. date is the 142nd day of 1996, I think?
Oo-v-oO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
yellowcat
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 70302

I found a few more numbers on the carb after some cleaner dissolved some of the paint- WTA 9. Also across from this number I see E6. Would this cross to a K20-WTA?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
Oo-v-oO
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 32338
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo-v-oO View Post
Aha - using the 200.651001 Sears number, that does cross over to a TC200-2109C Tecumseh.
Correction - make that TC200-2019C.

Either Fat Finger Syndrome or a touch of dyslexia.

I'll hunt around for some carb info tonight, if nobody else comes up with more info before then.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

When you get that running, make sure there's enough grease in the gearbox. I just repaired one for one of my neighbor's, lack of grease killed the brass worm gear. Had the part from Sears in less than a week. It is made by Briggs & Stratton now.
rscurtis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
mikeinri
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 62115

Looks great. Graphics look to be 1990s if I had to guess.
Mike
mikeinri is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Oo-v-oO
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 32338
Garage

Best price I could find for the kit was $42 and change:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Par...319/2351858/PL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
yellowcat
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 70302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo-v-oO View Post
Best price I could find for the kit was $42 and change:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Par...319/2351858/PL
That is the price I was talking about that made me flip. No way this little kit can cost that much.........Has to be a error or maybe for 6 repair kits. I found some other places today selling them from $7-$9. I tried getting the little tiller running today with the same old carb with just a good cleaning as the kit will take a week to get in. I tried cranking ti but it just wont turn over..I noticed the air cleaner box filling up with gas after it sits a few minutes. I thought I cleaned the old diaphrams good enough and soft enough to get her to fire up but I guess they hard or something. Also something still letting gas through the needle and seat. By the way..does this walbro has a little rubber seat or it just a machined hole all byitself for the needle to fit in. I did not see any rubber seat in there when I took it apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.