Snapper interlock module testing? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-06-2012, 07:09 PM   post #1 of 9
mikeginob
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61448
Default Snapper interlock module testing?

Any know how to test a snapper interlock module like part #7063064 or 28606? My model is a 331518KVE.
mikeginob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM   post #2 of 9
tomw0
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 34922
Default Re: Snapper interlock module testing?

I figured out a wiring diagram by following the colored wires, and figured out what the little black thingy was... But. Not what was inside. The symptom(s) of a failing interlock that I am aware of is intermittent miss, and/or 'stuttering' as you are mowing at full throttle. Sometimes the mower would quit completely, and then restart as if nothing were wrong. If it fails fully, you won't be able to start the mower.
To test if the interlock is causing miss or stalling, replace or disconnect it. I don't know of another test you can perform, as it is a 'solid state' latch, that stays latched until one of the inputs is disconnected or grounded. If your symptoms are the engine coming to a stop, after starting and running for a while, then replace it to see if that is the cause. As the rules of the site state, details on how to disconnect it are not given. You must know what you are doing to find it, and then do anything with it.
tom
tomw0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM   post #3 of 9
dc 3mech
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 35535

I have never seen a schematic or diagram for an "interlock module" and might suggest substituting a known good or new module.It works by grounding out the ignition when the switches are not in the proper positions.
dc 3mech is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM   post #4 of 9
dc 3mech

MTF Member # 35535

The 7063064is a replacement module for B&S engines,and for the modules on "series 14 and earlier" mowers with B&S engines,and includes the plug and wiring.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:57 PM   post #5 of 9
G-1
Senior Tinkerer

MTF Member # 43157

In case you don't have a wiring diagram, the sears site has one:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...dMod=331518KVE

I see the module is $42.60 there...maybe less expensive elsewhere?

But, before you buy a module you probably should do some testing. The interlock module only has 4 wires and one is ground. It should not be difficult to see what is not working. Once you find out what is wrong, you may be able to duplicate the function with a simple relay for a lot less than a new module.

Gerald
G-1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM   post #6 of 9
mikeginob
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61448

Thanks for the replies! I guessed I should have stated what the mower was doing also. I am using recoil start to crank it right now. After starting the mower, I release the parking brake the mower will die. I got the wiring diagram for it from partstree.com and thought it must be the pedal switch but the NO and NC contacts seem to work properly depending on the pedal position. I checked the deck switch and it seems to work OK also. I couldn't find a seat switch but I did find where the yellow and brown wire that connect to the seat switch and they were connected together. Not sure if some of these mowers had seat switches or previous owner bypassed it or what. I did a resistance check on the interlock module as I was running out of things to check by checking all the combinations of terminals. On mine the blue wire and green wire have zero resistance. All of the other combinations I tried were open circuits. I may have a wire some where that is grounding it out I suppose. I will have to wait until next weekend to due further troubleshooting so I thought I would see if you guys had ever seen this before and what the cause might be..... Again everything works properly other than when you take your foot off the brake it dies.

-Mike
mikeginob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 PM   post #7 of 9
G-1
Senior Tinkerer

MTF Member # 43157

Mike, it looks like the pedal switch is not connected to the seat sw. when the pedal is depressed. I presume this is so the recoil start can be used with no one in the seat. As soon as you get it started and then let the pedal up, the seat sw. comes into play. It is designed so that the circuit through the seat sw. is opened if the seat is occupied. And it looks like if the sw. is missing, the circuit is closed and that puts ground on the ignition (magneto).

So, you need to resolve the seat sw. function and go from there.

Gerald
G-1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM   post #8 of 9
dc 3mech

MTF Member # 35535

The forum is pretty touchy about talking about "safety systems" even for trouble shooting.I think the "seat switch" would be a good bet,since a PO has obviously done something to it.I believe I read somewhere that the seat switch connector can't be dis-connected to take the switch out of the system,its spring loaded,or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM   post #9 of 9
tomw0
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 34922

Take my wandering thoughts with a grain of salt as my Snapper is about 20 years old, series 8, I think, and has very little in common with the diagram at SearsPartsDirect. The module in mine, if memory works at all, is cylindrical, resembling a turn signal flasher.
The machine also is bereft of seat switches. FWIW, I think seat switches cannot be jumpered because they provide ground to the starter solenoid, or ground to the ignition, depending. You won't get cranking, or you won't get fire, take your pick, if you try to remove them from the circuit without doing more 'wiring'.
tom
tomw0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.