How to level deck on a 281016BE RER - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 PM   post #1 of 6
trex
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 72971
Default How to level deck on a 281016BE RER

My neighbor gave me his dad's Snapper 1997 281016BE RER. After airing up the tires,a good washing, trickle charging the 4 year old wet cell battery and cleaning the carburetor it quickly fired right up. What a great sound for a free mower!
Have replaced the oil dipstick tube grommet,carb needle,carb gaskets,oil change,new head gasket,spark plug,drive belt,fuel line,fuel shut-off,fuel filter,deck rollers,touching up the"00"grease, and axle boots.
Have never owned a riding mower or have had a Snapper. After pouring through your forum it was a cinch to change the boots. Took about an hour. Cleaning it first helped a bunch.
Thank you all who have contributed to this forum,it made it easier for a new Snapper owner to perform the work and get it right the first time!
Downloaded the Snapper owners manual and performed all of the adjustments.This mower had never been greased! The original paint was still on the fittings. Have leveled the deck side to side but am having problems leveling it front rear. My question is-does the deck need to be in the lowest position for the front to rear adjustment? Have been trying to level it in the #5 position which is the position I use. Any thoughts? Should it be on the lowest position?
Having a mower that you can stand up makes it a cinch to work on.Have to remember to close the fuel cap and take the battery out. This was a new one.
Thank you all very much for this dedicated forum. Tim
trex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM   post #2 of 6
dc 3mech
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 35535
Default Re: How to level deck on a 281016BE RER

Congratulations: welcome to Snappers,You are already ahead of lots of owners,as you ordered the Owners manual. Now get the parts list and ask someone to send the Service manual,as Snapper,no longer lists it.You lucked out by having an easy boot change,many of us have a grim struggle removing the driver's R/H wheel hub.
dc 3mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM   post #3 of 6
dc 3mech

MTF Member # 35535

I couldn't see whether Snapper specified a deck position for leveling,they said to check tire pressure. See page 16 fig. 4.11 for the leveling.it refers to the hanger chains at the rear of the deck.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM   post #4 of 6
trex
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 72971

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc 3mech View Post
I couldn't see whether Snapper specified a deck position for leveling,they said to check tire pressure. See page 16 fig. 4.11 for the leveling.it refers to the hanger chains at the rear of the deck.
Had to visit the local Snapper dealer and they let me talk to the Snapper Pro. He said this question comes up periodically and the front to rear adj. is performed with the deck in its lowest position after the side to side adj. is done. He also said that air pressure is key and that it should be done before deck is leveled and before grass is cut. He also said that he finds that if you keep the rear 1/8 higher than the front instead of 1/8 lower for the 28" you will get a better cut.
Was trying to level front to rear with the height on #5 and and was always 1/4 inch off. When the deck was dropped to its lowest position the measurements were spot on. Got lucky on this one!
One more thing I learned is that when you overfill the chain case it will come out next to the rubber wheel and make a nice mess that takes about an hour to clean up. Had to use a suction gun to un-fill it.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:09 PM   post #5 of 6
dc 3mech

MTF Member # 35535

Yes,Snapper says "never use more than 2 ounces of grease in the chain case" Any that leaks out the bottom is caught by the boots,but at the top it comes out behind the "clutch hub",and makes a mess.Glad you got it leveled,They call for different adjustments to stop "streaking" or other problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM   post #6 of 6
trex
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 72971

Found that the right rear arm [that connects to the hanger chain] weld was broken. Removed the deck-disassembled it and had one of our techs weld it.
Purchased the front end bushing kit and found the two lower spindle bushings were completely worn but did not damage the spindle. Replaced all bushings and it feels like a completely different mower. As a first time Snapper owner these mowers are a pleasure to work on and designed very well. Thank you all for your info and support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.