Tuff Torq Fluid Change - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM   post #1 of 15
John151
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 71778
Default Tuff Torq Fluid Change (K71B)

As a tractor newb, and a preventative maintenance advocate, I have been reading dozens of posts on fluid changes on the tuff torqs. However, all I have accomplished so far is to get myself totally confused.

Is this a simple and safe task? Some posts led me to believe I have to pull the entire unit, and some posts have lead to to believe that the unit could be damaged if air is left in the system.

How often does the fluid need to be changed? I don't know the entire history of my machine (other than it appears to have been well taken care of), but if the tractor runs great, do I need to even worry about this?

What fluid should be used? I have read posts about 10W30 motor oil, 5W50 synthetic motor oil, Amsoil hydrolo fluid, JD high and low viscosity fluids. That is quite a variety of fluids.
1979 Snapper 5/23 Snow Blower
2012 National Walking Sprinkler - A5-2 with optional mud wheels
1999 K9 fertilizer spreader (border collie, black lab mix)

Last edited by John151; 04-23-2012 at 10:30 PM.
John151 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM   post #2 of 15
wizzo
MTF Tractor Nut

MTF Member # 32657
Default Re: Tuff Torq Fluid Change

Most of the sealed Tuff Torq models it is best to remove the trans and turn it upside down to drain the fluid. TT usually suggests 5W50 synthetic oil about every 200 hours.
  • 48" Front Blade, Wheel Weights & Suitcase Weights
  • 30" Mechanical Tiller
1994 John Deere 14SB
2000 John Deere JX75

Stihl KM 90R Kombi System
2005 Lawn Boy 10684 Insight Mower
wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM   post #3 of 15
Hardscrabble
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4174

I have a JD X485. I changed mine every 50 hours. Probably overkill but I am very big on fresh fluids in equipment. I used the factory recommended JD Low Viscosity transmission fluid.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 PM   post #4 of 15
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

Your suppose to use Low Viscosity Hy-Gard here’s what the outside of the container Looks Like http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...ils/oils.page? at the Bottom of the Page They do have it In 1 quart Containers You Need 3.4 quarts
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 PM   post #5 of 15
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Here's the scoop from Tuff Torq on recommended replacement lubricants for various TT transmissions. I used the Castrol Syntec 5w50 when I rebuilt my K46.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=113369

But yes as Sarge said you should use the HyGard, which coincides with the chart for the K71B

Last edited by Jim_WV; 04-23-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Jim_WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 PM   post #6 of 15
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_WV View Post
Here's the scoop from Tuff Torq on recommended replacement lubricants for various TT transmissions. I used the Castrol Syntec 5w50 when I rebuilt my K46.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=113369

But yes as Sarge said you should use the HyGard, which coincides with the chart for the K71B
Thanks Jim I always forget about that chart for the substitutes
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 AM   post #7 of 15
John151
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 71778

Thanks guys!

I am still not clear on the high vs. low vis JD oil. J20C - high vis, J20D = low vis? Is the difference between these just outside temps? If I am only cutting grass in the summer (no snow attachment just yet), wouldn't I want high vis?

Also, how easy and safe is the fluid to change? Is this on par with changing the engine oil? Or is there more to this.
1979 Snapper 5/23 Snow Blower
2012 National Walking Sprinkler - A5-2 with optional mud wheels
1999 K9 fertilizer spreader (border collie, black lab mix)

Last edited by John151; 04-24-2012 at 09:48 AM.
John151 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 AM   post #8 of 15
KCFLY
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 48034

When I changed the fluid in my gt235 it was a fairly painless process. I contacted TuffTorq directly for any guidance/suggestions on my fluid change. They are very helpful. There was no need to pull the transmission. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

2000 JD GT235 w/48C, PowerFlo, & front dethatcher
42" blade, and 42" snowthrower
2 105 lb. cast wheel weights
KCFLY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 04:36 PM   post #9 of 15
sjlee
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33716
Default Re: Tuff Torq Fluid Change (K71B)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John151 View Post
Is this a simple and safe task? Some posts led me to believe I have to pull the entire unit, and some posts have lead to to believe that the unit could be damaged if air is left in the system.

How often does the fluid need to be changed? I don't know the entire history of my machine (other than it appears to have been well taken care of), but if the tractor runs great, do I need to even worry about this?

What fluid should be used? I have read posts about 10W30 motor oil, 5W50 synthetic motor oil, Amsoil hydrolo fluid, JD high and low viscosity fluids. That is quite a variety of fluids.
It all depends on what transaxle the tractor has. If the unit is sealed (like the K46), JD doesn't recommend any maintenance on it. In order to change the oil on it, you have to drop the transaxle. Tuff Torq recommends using 5W-50 synthetic on the K46 if you do change the oil. IIRC, they recommend changing the oil at 50 hrs then every 200 hrs.

For models that have a serviceable transmission, the operator's manual usually has instructions for changing the transmission oil as well as the recommended oil. I think JD recommends changing the oil at 50 hrs, then every 250 hrs.

It would probably be a good idea to pick up the operator's manual for your tractor to see what JD recommends. They offer free access to many manuals online, but I don't think they offer it for yours.

Preventative maintenance is always better than repair. You don't want to wait until the transmission starts giving you problems before you decide to change the oil.

Current
2002 John Deere LT150 Hydro
Kohler Command CV15S 15 HP single
38" deck, material collection system, G6 Gator blades

Previous
1987 John Deere 130
Kawasaki FC290V 9HP Single
30" deck, Tri-Cycler Mulching Kit
sjlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 05:09 PM   post #10 of 15
CenTex Guy
MTF Member

MTF Member # 66716

When I bought my x485 it need fluids. I called the service manager at my JD house, about the low viscosity fluid (I had been reading on this marvelous forum about it). He stated that the low vis fluid was more for the norther states i.e. colder climate weather and that here in cen tex should have any trouble running regular hydraulic fluid.
CenTex Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 PM   post #11 of 15
mikgran
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 61817

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee View Post
It all depends on what transaxle the tractor has. If the unit is sealed (like the K46), JD doesn't recommend any maintenance on it. In order to change the oil on it, you have to drop the transaxle. Tuff Torq recommends using 5W-50 synthetic on the K46 if you do change the oil. IIRC, they recommend changing the oil at 50 hrs then every 200 hrs.

For models that have a serviceable transmission, the operator's manual usually has instructions for changing the transmission oil as well as the recommended oil. I think JD recommends changing the oil at 50 hrs, then every 250 hrs.

It would probably be a good idea to pick up the operator's manual for your tractor to see what JD recommends. They offer free access to many manuals online, but I don't think they offer it for yours.

Preventative maintenance is always better than repair. You don't want to wait until the transmission starts giving you problems before you decide to change the oil.
Thank you for highlighting the really irritating part for owners of sealed transaxles.. Tuff Torq tells you the service intervals for keeping the transaxle in the best possible operating condition. JD has the transaxles built to not be serviced, gambling that the owner will not have problems before the warranty expires. The transaxle is slightly cheaper to buy when it`s spec`d out with no drain and fill capabilities, and very profitable when they replace it due to failure caused by worn out , burned fluid. By waiting until the warranty expires, you have exposed to the inner parts to a lot of wear from worn out, dirty oil.

So do you follow Tuff Torq`s guidelines and risk voiding the warranty, or do you follow JD`s guidlines and pretty much guarantee that the transaxle will have a much shorter lifespan than it could have.
mikgran is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM   post #12 of 15
sjlee
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33716

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikgran View Post
Thank you for highlighting the really irritating part for owners of sealed transaxles.. Tuff Torq tells you the service intervals for keeping the transaxle in the best possible operating condition. JD has the transaxles built to not be serviced, gambling that the owner will not have problems before the warranty expires. The transaxle is slightly cheaper to buy when it`s spec`d out with no drain and fill capabilities, and very profitable when they replace it due to failure caused by worn out , burned fluid. By waiting until the warranty expires, you have exposed to the inner parts to a lot of wear from worn out, dirty oil.

So do you follow Tuff Torq`s guidelines and risk voiding the warranty, or do you follow JD`s guidlines and pretty much guarantee that the transaxle will have a much shorter lifespan than it could have.
If it were me, I would not touch the transaxle until after the warranty ran out. If you overwork the K46 (hilly terrain, plowing snow, etc.), you could still have a problem even if you change the oil.

The warranty on a 100 series tractor is 2 yrs/120 hrs. If you're using it for what it was designed for (i.e. light-duty work), I would think that the original oil should be able to last at least that long.

Current

Previous
1987 John Deere 130
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM   post #13 of 15
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

If I'm reading the OP first post correctly, this is a K71B tranny in a used machine, so the K46 info, warranty and sealed transmissions information would not apply .
Jim_WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 PM   post #14 of 15
mikestoy
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 38920

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee View Post

It would probably be a good idea to pick up the operator's manual for your tractor to see what JD recommends. .
Good advice.
Also don't forget check the type of filters along with choosing the oil.

Other Toys:
2003 Candy Red Honda Goldwing Touring Cycle ......SWEET
2009 18' Lund w/200 hp Boat
2012 Black Lexus RX 350

Married for 47 years.
1 adopted son, married and lives in Charlotte N.C.
mikestoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM   post #15 of 15
sjlee
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_WV View Post
If I'm reading the OP first post correctly, this is a K71B tranny in a used machine, so the K46 info, warranty and sealed transmissions information would not apply .
Right. The only reason I mentioned those things is because the OP seemed to think that some of the things he's read about the K46 apply to his transmission.

Current

Previous
1987 John Deere 130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.