JD 500 Series Halogen Headlight Upgrade - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM   post #1 of 7
USNR
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 47
MTF Member # 72412
Smile JD 500 Series Halogen Headlight Upgrade

I was thinking about upgraded my standard headlights with halogen; has anyone done this upgrade? Spoke to my neighbor that works at local JD dealership and he shared with me that he has seen damage to the headlight housing due to the halogen getting to hot?

It's only $51.00 upgrade if they are safe I would sure love the extra light...

Here is a link to the upgrade...

http://www.shopgreendealer.com/halogenheadlightkit.aspx
USNR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM   post #2 of 7
snakemed
X530 w/44blower & 48blade
 
snakemed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW 'burbs, Minnesota
Posts: 749
MTF Member # 67985
Talking Re: JD 500 Series Halogen Headlight Upgrade

USNR, howdy!

Be careful, you don't want to melt your headlight housing with too much heat (using the wrong upgrade part).

Others have achieved good results by upgrading only the bulb (push and twist to install) in the housing and for minimal cost. I bought halogen bulbs for a previous X300 for around $14 and used them for snowblowing during the winter - when it was colder and therefore with little risk of melting anything.

The same bulbs I bought will fit the X500. Search for the thread on the forum, or wait for someone else to provide the part number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNR View Post
I was thinking about upgraded my standard headlights with halogen; has anyone done this upgrade? Spoke to my neighbor that works at local JD dealership and he shared with me that he has seen damage to the headlight housing due to the halogen getting to hot?

It's only $51.00 upgrade if they are safe I would sure love the extra light...

Here is a link to the upgrade...

http://www.shopgreendealer.com/halogenheadlightkit.aspx
snakemed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 PM   post #3 of 7
USNR
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 47
MTF Member # 72412
Default Re: JD 500 Series Halogen Headlight Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemed View Post
USNR, howdy!

Be careful, you don't want to melt your headlight housing with too much heat (using the wrong upgrade part).

Others have achieved good results by upgrading only the bulb (push and twist to install) in the housing and for minimal cost. I bought halogen bulbs for a previous X300 for around $14 and used them for snowblowing during the winter - when it was colder and therefore with little risk of melting anything.

The same bulbs I bought will fit the X500. Search for the thread on the forum, or wait for someone else to provide the part number.

Thanks...
USNR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 12:57 PM   post #4 of 7
snakemed
X530 w/44blower & 48blade
 
snakemed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW 'burbs, Minnesota
Posts: 749
MTF Member # 67985
Whew SOURCE: P796 halogen bulb, 1156-type

I ordered my bulbs from here:
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5906/...bulb-1156-type
snakemed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:25 PM   post #5 of 7
USNR
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 47
MTF Member # 72412
Default Re: SOURCE: P796 halogen bulb, 1156-type

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemed View Post

Have you any trouble with heat when using the bulb for a prolonged period of time?
USNR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM   post #6 of 7
snakemed
X530 w/44blower & 48blade
 
snakemed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW 'burbs, Minnesota
Posts: 749
MTF Member # 67985
Default Re: SOURCE: P796 halogen bulb, 1156-type

I haven't noticed any heat problem, but I only use the headlights very sparingly during the non-winter, snow-removal months. I.E., with rare exception, I only use them for an hour or so when I am blowing snow during the winter, so I can't answer your question directly...

I think my use reflects what most have done, so no one has summer-time experience with running the lights for hours at a time to comment upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNR View Post
Have you any trouble with heat when using the bulb for a prolonged period of time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemed View Post
snakemed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 PM   post #7 of 7
USNR
MTF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 47
MTF Member # 72412
Default Re: SOURCE: P796 halogen bulb, 1156-type

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemed View Post
I haven't noticed any heat problem, but I only use the headlights very sparingly during the non-winter, snow-removal months. I.E., with rare exception, I only use them for an hour or so when I am blowing snow during the winter, so I can't answer your question directly...

I think my use reflects what most have done, so no one has summer-time experience with running the lights for hours at a time to comment upon.
Thanks...
USNR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Compact Tractor Reviews Tractor Reviews Snowblowers Lawn Mower Forum
My Tractor Forum Snow Thrower Power Equipment Forum
Combine Forum Snowblower Forum ATV and UTV Reviews