Gear Lubricant For Stihl Trimmers - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Lubrication and Filters The slick stuff we all use

Old 05-09-2006, 07:23 PM   post #1 of 8
Termy
Banned

MTF Member # 1224
Default Gear Lubricant For Stihl Trimmers

Well, I went on a 6 mile bike ride to go to my authorised Stihl dealer to buy some proprietary Gear Grease for my trimmers gearbox. I thought now was a good time do this considering I bought this trimmer back in 2004 and have not added any grease to it! When I cleaned off the area and removed the gearbox plug, to my surprise there was still plenty of grease inside! I was like WOW, that is the sign of a very well built unit!

That means it may be 2 more years before I need to add any grease! I am very impressed with my Stihl Trimmer and I think its going to last a very long time! How many others out there are pulling your trimmers and hedge trimmers out to add grease to your gearboxes?
Termy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 02:32 AM   post #2 of 8
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82
Default Re: Gear Lubricant For Stihl Trimmers

I had a Ryobi hedge trimmer attachment for my weed eater. 3 years ago I was using it and it stopped. Funny how stuff only breaks while it's in use... anyway I took it apart and it was filled with grease and little pieces of sharp metal. On the opposite side, the rototiller/cultivator gets the crap beat out of it and it's still going after six years of service.

I couldn't afford a Sthil trimmer so I got a B&D HvDty electrical unit. POS! The vibration shakes the extension cord out of the handle mounted plug... I have to Dk-Tp it in so it will run more than 30 seconds at a time. I should have saved up my can and bottle deposit money and bought that Stihl afterall!
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 08:03 AM   post #3 of 8
glenn27
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 703

My trimmer and my gas-powered hedge trimmer both have a "plug", on the control/gear head---maybe once a year, in the spring when I change air filters, etc, I give it a little shot of "white lithium" grease.....I picked up a tube of this stuff somewhere one time, and if you take the cap off, it screws right into the hole the gear plug came out of-squeeze one time, unscrew the tube, put metal plug back in...good to go!

Sometimes you just have to laugh..To keep from going insane!!

Jimmy Buffett
glenn27 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 PM   post #4 of 8
Termy
Banned

MTF Member # 1224

Ya, My Stihl is exactly the same way as yours. I think Stihl did this for two reasons. #1. They wanted you to buy their proprietary expensive tube of grease. The other good reason they went without a grease zert is because if you had one down there I would be willing to bet grass and dirt would end up getting into the gearbox. So those are the two biggest reasons why I think they had no grease zert on there. It costs $8.00 for a tube of that stuff. Thank goodness my trimmer does not burn grease down there like an engine burns oil!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:47 PM   post #5 of 8
Dan Lovell
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1486

Getting off the subject I have a Stihl chain saw and couldn't be happier with it. Dan
Dan Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM   post #6 of 8
Termy
Banned

MTF Member # 1224

There will be no OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding man, glad to hear that you love your Stihl Chainsaw. They make only the best don't they?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:41 PM   post #7 of 8
vrocco1
Golden Dad!

MTF Member # 125

My Stihl trimmer is the best machine I've ever owned. I use the Stihl oil and grease just to see if it will last 7 years like my echo trimmer did.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 PM   post #8 of 8
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Siding with the "off topic-ers", I have a Stihl 026 PRO saw and love it. Light AND powerful and no smoke!
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.