Cub Cadet LT1050 not turning over - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 PM   post #1 of 13
mpaynes
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 72099
Default Cub Cadet LT1050 not turning over

I have a 2007 Cub Cadet LT1050 riding mower that won't turn over when starting. The motor will make about a half-turn before stopping, yet will eventually turn over and start right up after many attempts (often killing the battery in the process). this has been an ongoing problem with my old battery and a new one I just put in, and have attempted jump starting with no change. When it eventually starts, it will start quicker the next attempts that day, but will again have problems after sitting for a week or two. I suspect the starter is bad, but have seen mention of starting solenoid and ignition switch. Any ideas?

thanks,
Mark
mpaynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 03:07 PM   post #2 of 13
deeretek
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40561
Default Re: Cub Cadet LT1050 not turning over

Does it have a Briggs engine or kohler?My guess is 1 of 2 things.Either the starter is bad or the valves need to be adjusted.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:29 PM   post #3 of 13
mpaynes
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 72099

It has a Kohler "Courage 23" engine
Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 PM   post #4 of 13
rcbe
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 439

Just out of curiosity, have you been using a garden hose or a power washer to wash the tractor?
rcbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM   post #5 of 13
mpaynes
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 72099

Not anytime this year, but the mower is outside in the weather. Also, I had it in the shop this spring, where they may have done some clean up. Why?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 AM   post #6 of 13
rcbe
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaynes View Post
Not anytime this year, but the mower is outside in the weather. Also, I had it in the shop this spring, where they may have done some clean up. Why?
Lawn and garden powered eqpt - particularly tractors - are not designed/built to withstand outside storage or significant soakings. The moisture will start corrosion inside switches and at elect connections. In time, the machine will develop various functional problems related to such... sometimes difficult to troubleshoot/repair.

Ever see those new machines lined up outside the BB stores ? Personally, would never buy one because of above.

Best to store machine inside or under appropriate cover; clean unit after each use with compressed air or leaf blower (lose the garden hose and/or power washer).. use wet soapy rag sparingly to clean anything stuck to sheet metal.
If yer not sure about what yer dealer does to clean yer serviced machine, would just ask him to avoid the soaking routine...
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM   post #7 of 13
mpaynes
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 72099

A new starter for the Kohler Courage 23 can run between $105 (online) and $170 (local dealer). Any suggestions before I invest in a new starter?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM   post #8 of 13
akretowicz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33237

Adjust your valves. .003.004 should do the trick. had the same thing happen to mine. Adjusted the valves, and it turned over perfectly. If possible, try hard to keep it out of the weather if you can. A day, or even a few isn't too bad. Not long term, though.

1957 Roto Rugg 24-A

1973 John Deere 110

2000 Huskee 21 HP GT
The home of 'Ugly John"
akretowicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 AM   post #9 of 13
markwb
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19085

It sounds as if there is a poor electrical connection, or corrosion somewhere in starting circuit. Try a large shank screw driver at the start solenoid, bridge the two large power terminals.... see if the starter turns the engine over with out hesitation. Check all large battery cables, +12v supply cable to starter, ground cable at chassis..etc
1997 Lawn Boy Silver Series Model 10227
PreciseFit 42" Lawn Sweeper
Echo SRM-2100 Trimmer/Brush Cutter
"My Other Vehicle Is a Nuclear Submarine"
markwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM   post #10 of 13
lexus114
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20821

My 06 with the Courage 20hp V-twin has done this very same thing since new. I just kinda live with it. Thought the compression had something to do with it.
lexus114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 PM   post #11 of 13
rcbe
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 439

OP - before you go spending big bucks, pull the battery - disconnect ground post first - then using sandpaper or emory cloth, clean ALL connection surfaces (both faces) to bright metal at each connection in the start circuit, including where battery ground connects to frame and start/solenoid posts. Disassemble and re-assemble connections as needed. Don't depend on a quick visual - some types of corrosion aren't easily visible.
Take battery to shop that can LOAD test same - replace if needed. If machine still starts poorly as described, adjust valves. If still trouble, pull starter, take to shop for bench test.

But.. as long as tractor is stored outside and water is used in copious amounts to wash same, you prolly will continue to be involved with similar problems on that tractor... MHO.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 AM   post #12 of 13
lonnyb
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29641

Check the selenoid, have the battery load tested, as others have said, we had a LT1042 last weekend that would not start, turned out the selenoid ws bad and the battery had no cranking amps left, would hold a full charge 12volts but no cranking amps.
Less than a $100 and its back to cutting grass once again.
lonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 AM   post #13 of 13
austinado16
Proud Wheel Horse Owner

MTF Member # 58755

This is a valve adjustment issue. Get on YouTube and you'll see a guy who has a repair shop posting a video on this exact subject. The starters on these engines are very weak, hence the need for compression release......as well as correct valve timing due to valve adjustment.

I purchased a 1045 a few months ago that was doing this, and didn't know about the valve adjustment issue (or other problems with these single cylinder Kohlers). Did all the starter, battery, and electrical, and ground wire test recommended above, even purchased a new starter because I thought that's all it could possibly be. When the engine did the same thing with the new starter, I was not happy.

Suddenly it dawned on me; what if the thing was taking in air, but not exhausting it. I pulled the valve cover and found the exhaust rocker arm and it's bolt just laying in the bottom of the head. The bolt had vibrated out. Installed the bolt, set the valve clearances and whatdya know, fired right up.
austinado16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.