Sprayer Set Up - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM   post #1 of 22
JoeS
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21204
Default Sprayer Set Up

I'm setting up my new Fimco 25 gallon pull behind sprayer. I'll be starting with 24D on dandilions first. I'm looking for advise on speed & mixing. I'm thinking of what RPM to be at in low gear for the right coverage & ounces/ gallon in mixing. I have a coverage listing that came with it but it's a little vague.
2009 JD 2305, I-match, Redlandhill 3 pt draw bar http://redlandhill.com/, JD LVB25363 extended weight bracket w/ 7 suitcase weights, JD umbrella, 200CX loader w/49 bucket & hooks, Markham toothbar, hydro fan & filter guards, Fimco 25 gallon trailer sprayer, custom tool box, BB2048 boxblade, RL2072 landscape rake, JD ballast box, JD 647 tiller, 62C MMM, 48 TSC 900lb lawn roller, LX4 rear rotary mower, TSC trailer wagon, JD SB1148 rear snow blower, JD 48 disk, JD 175lb fertilizer spreader
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 PM   post #2 of 22
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37
Default Re: Sprayer Set Up

I run in low at 2000RPM with forward pedal down when I use the 2305. Most of the time I use my 110 with a gear trans. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 02:37 PM   post #3 of 22
Shack
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 7021

that's my method as well, 2000 rpm, low gear, foot to the floor. I mix at one ounce per gallon, but that's labeled rate for what I use. You really have to dig through the label of what you have and determine the rate. Do Not mix higher than the labeled rate, it won't kill the weeds any faster.
12" landpride turn plow,
40 Gallon Fimco sprayer,
KK carry all,
King Kutter XB box blade,
King Kutter XB middlebuster/subsoiler,
King Kutter cultivator
Hesston 5 ft soil pulverizer
Shack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM   post #4 of 22
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

you will want to go about 2-3 mph in most cases, so measure off 100' and time yourself.

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 03:01 PM   post #5 of 22
JoeS
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21204

That's exactly the speed question I was looking for. Mix rate as well. Thanks guys. I'm going to wire in a plug in on the rear of the tractor as the wires it came with are too short to reach the battery. I'll post some pics when I get it done
2009 JD 2305, I-match, Redlandhill 3 pt draw bar http://redlandhill.com/, JD LVB25363 extended weight bracket w/ 7 suitcase weights, JD umbrella, 200CX loader w/49 bucket & hooks, Markham toothbar, hydro fan & filter guards, Fimco 25 gallon trailer sprayer, custom tool box, BB2048 boxblade, RL2072 landscape rake, JD ballast box, JD 647 tiller, 62C MMM, 48 TSC 900lb lawn roller, LX4 rear rotary mower, TSC trailer wagon, JD SB1148 rear snow blower, JD 48 disk, JD 175lb fertilizer spreader
Old 04-15-2012, 03:07 PM   post #6 of 22
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

the speed does vary based on your application rate and how fast the sprayer puts it out. but 2 mph is a good middle ground to adjust from.

on my x500 i set my throttle about half way and go foot to the floor. i have a 15 gallon sprayer, and it takes about 20 mins to empty using the boom or under 15 mins with the wand.

also, wear a mask and googles when spraying 2,4-d and DON'T do it unless the wind is calm. that stuff gets in your eyes and it can blind you.

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM   post #7 of 22
JoeS
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21204

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
the speed does vary based on your application rate and how fast the sprayer puts it out. but 2 mph is a good middle ground to adjust from.

on my x500 i set my throttle about half way and go foot to the floor. i have a 15 gallon sprayer, and it takes about 20 mins to empty using the boom or under 15 mins with the wand.

also, wear a mask and googles when spraying 2,4-d and DON'T do it unless the wind is calm. that stuff gets in your eyes and it can blind you.
Good advise
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 AM   post #8 of 22
Mechanos1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 48345

I use a 0.5% solution for 2,4-D which works out to be 1.5oz per 2gallons. For my 30 gallon spray tank, that's 22.5oz. I run at a comfortable speed for any manuevering that I need to do and adjust the bypass valve on the sprayer to the the coverage I want at that travel speed.
Mechanos1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM   post #9 of 22
c5rulz
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 8460

Play around with the sprayer with WATER ONLY to figure out how fast it goes through product. That way any mistakes don't matter. A driveway or a road work great for checking coverage.

I used to use the 2 4 -D available in the tractor supply places due to it be very inexpensive. Now I greatly prefer a triple acting compound that contains two different isomers of 2 4 - D along with Dicamba. The small price increase is worth it. Of the triple acting, MecAmine D is good and better than Tri-Mec.
A surfactant such as Li-700 also helps on the waxy type weeds such as creeping charlie and violets.

This year I am switching to Lesco Momentum FX-2 but that is not available to the public.

John Deer GT235 48" with powerflow bagger

Husqvarna 562XPG w/ 20" Tech Lite bar
Husqvarna 550XPG
Husqvarna 346 XP Ported
Husqvarna 372XPG
Husqvarna 288XP Lite ported
Dolmar 7900
Echo CS300T
Stihl 028 super, rebuilt and ported
Echo PPT-266 pole saw
Speeco 28 ton splitter
Silvey 510
Oregon 511AX
Tecomec for rakers
Stihl straight shaft trimmer W/ cutting blades
c5rulz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM   post #10 of 22
Shack

MTF Member # 7021

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5rulz View Post
Play around with the sprayer with WATER ONLY to figure out how fast it goes through product. That way any mistakes don't matter. A driveway or a road work great for checking coverage.

I used to use the 2 4 -D available in the tractor supply places due to it be very inexpensive. Now I greatly prefer a triple acting compound that contains two different isomers of 2 4 - D along with Dicamba. The small price increase is worth it. Of the triple acting, MecAmine D is good and better than Tri-Mec.
A surfactant such as Li-700 also helps on the waxy type weeds such as creeping charlie and violets.

This year I am switching to Lesco Momentum FX-2 but that is not available to the public.
I've had very good results with Speedzone. let me know how the Momentum works. I use Barricade and Dimension, to keep the use of speedzone down. I've tried Solitaire, but it's a BEAR to mix as it's pellatized, but it does kill just about every weed I've encountered, including mature crabgrass.
12" landpride turn plow,
40 Gallon Fimco sprayer,
KK carry all,
King Kutter cultivator
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM   post #11 of 22
c5rulz
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 8460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
I've had very good results with Speedzone. let me know how the Momentum works. I use Barricade and Dimension, to keep the use of speedzone down. I've tried Solitaire, but it's a BEAR to mix as it's pellatized, but it does kill just about every weed I've encountered, including mature crabgrass.
I used Solitaire last year for spot treatment of crabgrass that got by the pre-emergent control with good results. The only drawback was @ $100/pound it is mighty pricey. Mixing 1 1/2 gallons in a hand sprayer only used two tablespoons. I thought the pelletized product mixed and measured very easy?

I am not familiar with Speedzone. I see the active ingredients are different than most three way products.

John Deer GT235 48" with powerflow bagger

Husqvarna 562XPG w/ 20" Tech Lite bar
Husqvarna 550XPG
Husqvarna 346 XP Ported
Husqvarna 372XPG
Husqvarna 288XP Lite ported
Dolmar 7900
Echo CS300T
Stihl 028 super, rebuilt and ported
Echo PPT-266 pole saw
Speeco 28 ton splitter
Silvey 510
Oregon 511AX
Tecomec for rakers
Stihl straight shaft trimmer W/ cutting blades
c5rulz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM   post #12 of 22
Shack

MTF Member # 7021

maybe my trouble with mixing the solitaire was the water? I put it in a quart jar with a pint of water and mixed until the pellets were dissolved, then mixed into the spot sprayer, not really too bad I guess, just not as simple as liquids. 5 gallon Stihl sprayer for me. The only thing I have 1 gallon sprayers for is insecticide and roundup. I have enough sprayers that I don't have to worry about what was in this sprayer last...

speedzone is a bit pricey compared to other 3 ways, but it is a beast for knocking down tough stuff like thistle or wood sorrel.
12" landpride turn plow,
40 Gallon Fimco sprayer,
KK carry all,
King Kutter cultivator
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM   post #13 of 22
mkoreen
Prefers the color GREEN

MTF Member # 10559

You guys ever hear or use Quinclorac? I just got 2 pounds to control the post emergerence of crabgrass here.. I believe it is sold commercially as Drive?

Was pricey at $60/# but I'll try it when the wind quits blowin!

Also what do you guys spray any tank mix fertilizer? I tried the mixes at tractor supply and they dont seem to have any effect at all.

Thats why this year I went with Scotts Turfbuilder and the broadcast spreader.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:05 PM   post #14 of 22
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

This is what I use and this is my second season with it.http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=181328
slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM   post #15 of 22
Shack

MTF Member # 7021

I've not tried Drive, but I may this year if I run out of MSMA, which I probably will as I only have a half a jug left. As for liquid fert, I've been debating making the switch this year because of the atronomical pricing on granular. I have been using Lesco for about 5 years now and really like their products because I can fine tune a little better than with the Scott's stuff, and it's cheaper.
12" landpride turn plow,
40 Gallon Fimco sprayer,
KK carry all,
King Kutter cultivator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.