Stumped - Blades Not Engaging - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM   post #1 of 8
txaggie929
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71584
Default Stumped - Blades Not Engaging

Hey all,

Bought an Ariens EZR 1742 a couple weeks ago, and just got around to servicing it 2 days ago. Didn't know much about it, but much to my surprise it has a Kawasaki FH541V engine installed instead of the Briggs.

Anyways, I made about 3 laps around my yard with it, then got off to move something out of the way - left it running and blades engaged. Yeah, I know not safe, but no children or animals or body parts were in danger lol.

Got back on, engine still running just fine and moving, but then started to notice that blades were no longer engaged.

Shut the mower down. Started mower back up, pulled PTO and can hear a loud click, like the clutch is engaging, but blades still not spinning. Even shut the mower down and only put the key to the aux position (electric power but not running) while sitting on the seat, and can hear PTO make an audible click noise when pulling up or pushing down. Got underneath, blades turn freely and turns the drive belt as well.

In summary, the mower still runs & drives perfectly, but blades won't engage despite the fact that I can hear the PTO engaging and all belts are in tact. That being said, anybody have any ideas if I'm doing something wrong or a possible cause? Seems that if the PTO is engaging, and blades turn freely by hand, that everything should work. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
txaggie929 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM   post #2 of 8
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807
Default Re: Stumped - Blades Not Engaging

make sure your brake is released, most machiens shut off the PTO when the brake is applied. i'm thinking you hear a relay but not the actual PTO engaging, so it is probably a safety that is preventing it from working. if an electric PTO clicks, it should be locked and start to rotate.

also have you checked to see if maybe a belt broke/jumped off?

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM   post #3 of 8
txaggie929
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71584

Yes, brake is released - if the brake is engaged and you attempt to move the handles, it shuts down the engine. The unit runs and drives just fine.

There are no broken belts. I have physically got down and turned the blades by hand. Both blades rotate when turning just one by hand, which then turns the pulley/belt that goes to the engine.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM   post #4 of 8
no2498
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 64738

odd you can turn them easy
most all blades have a brake on them

john
no2498 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM   post #5 of 8
txaggie929
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71584

I believe I need should rephrase the "click" noise with the PTO switch. It's more of a louder metallic "clank" like the discs are locking together when I pull the switch.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM   post #6 of 8
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

is the PTO pulley turning when you spin them? if it is not and belt is slipping on the pulley, then either the belt is stretched too much or your tensioner is disconnected/broke.

if the pulley is turning when you turn the blades by hand, try turning the switch ON, ENGINE OFF, and engage the PTO. try turning the blades by hand again, at this point it should not be possible to turn them without them slipping on the belt. if they still turn easy, your PTO is not locking in. try taking the belt off the PTO, have someone sit on the machine with it running and you look under at the PTO while they engage/disengage it. it should spin at engine RPM, if not, it is bad or not engaging due to a safety. check the brake and the reverse switches, they commonly shut out the PTO when engaged, and one of the switches may just be dirty/stuck.

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 PM   post #7 of 8
txaggie929
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71584

I will check all that out tonight when I get home. It's gotta be something simple that I'm overlooking seeing as how it went from working just fine to not at all. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM   post #8 of 8
txaggie929
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71584

Well, turns out I'm a complete idiot...I somehow missed seeing that the clutch shaft belt broke and I wasn't at the right position and right lighting to see it prior to posting my question.

Now I gotta find a 47" belt tomorrow. Should be a pretty easy fix after I get the deck outta the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.