FORD 601 Diesel Fuel In Oil - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
rob24chevy
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70865
Help FORD 601 Diesel Fuel In Oil

Hi guys just got a 601 Workmaster from my boss and knew it had some problems ! was trying to find why it was missing on a cylinder and smoking so bad, but after running for a few sec, it started to pour fuel and oil out of the breather on the side of the valve cover. Tractor has sitt for a long time. He had just bought it at an auction.It did run ok when it cranked up just a little more diesel smoke than there should be . Could a bad injector cause this or is my problem more likley in the inj. pump?
rob24chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566
Default Re: FORD 601 Diesel Fuel In Oil

If my memory serves me, I believe that the return lines that take the excess fuel from the injectors back to the fuel tank passes through the valve cover on that model, and they've been known to leak. That is most likely the cause for the fuel coming out the breather. It's a quick and easy check to pull the valve cover to see. If that is the source of the leak, then it's probably missing on whatever cylinder's injector is closest to the leak in the return line too, as that injector probably doesn't have enough pressure behind it because of the leak.
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304
2014 Kubota BX25D w/50" snow blower

You know you might be a Nouveau Redneck if...
1. You use the cup holder on your tractor to hold your cosmopolitan instead of a beer
2. You're "Santa on a tractor" Christmas yard decoration is actually a high tech digital hologram.
3. Your deer camp cuisine is better than most 3 star restaurants.
Nouveau Redneck is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

The miss and smoke are not related to a fuel leak- that indicates another problem with the engine. Either you have a bad injector, or a bad cylinder with excessive blow by which will not fire properly (smoke in exhaust and miss) and blow by, which will push oil from the breather if bad enough. You could also have a tight valve on that cylinder, which would lower its compression.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
ssweet9c1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 47419

dumb question, but with the fuel shut off, when you crank over the starter do all cylinders sound even? If one cranks way faster than the others, you know you have a problem.. If all crank over at what seems to be the same speed, then it probably isn't something bad..
Jonathan
ssweet9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

That's a very easy,(and effective) way to quickly diagnose the condition of an engine.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
rob24chevy
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70865

It was in the injector pump guys ! Cost me 145$ to have it completly overhauled!thanx for all replies and comments.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
jdemaris
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21690

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob24chevy View Post
It was in the injector pump guys ! Cost me 145$ to have it completly overhauled!thanx for all replies and comments.
It's a very common problem in that Stanadyne/Roosamaster pump. Plastic dampener inside the pump falls apart, plugs the regualtor the the fuel exit, internal pressure exceeds feed pressure - and the fuel forces its way out the driveshaft and into crankcase. Will also make the engine skip, smoke, and keep dying.

For $145, you got off cheap. I assume you did not have a regular pump shop do the work. It's a 1-2 hour job on the bench and takes $50 in parts - but pump shops tend to charge $300-$700 for the work.
Tractors: IH B275 (2), Case VAC,/VAC-14(2), Case DC (3) Ford 641, Shaw R12, MF35, Ferg TO35, Bolens Ridemaster, AC HD4/ HD6 dozer, Oliver HG dozer, Oliver OC46 crawler, Deere 300B TLB/ 1010 crawler, Ford 4000 TLB, Pettibone TLB, IH 3414 TLB
Garden tractors (over 100 ).
Chainsaws: Remington Mall (2), Sthil S10, 040, 041G, 045 Super, 051, 041 Super; Dolmar/Makita DCS510 and DCS6401, Echo(3), EFCO/Deere CS56 (3), Poulan Pro (4), Husqvarna 455, Hoe, Lombard 2 man, Homelites (over 20).
jdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
rob24chevy
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70865

You are correct jdemaris. There is a gentleman here in in my town that is semi-retired that builds all types of injector pumps and probably the best in North Carolina !Thats his standard price and $10 a piece for the injectors! VERY good at what he does! It looked and worked just like new when i got it back! Another question on this tractor , does anyone know anything about the glow plug system on this tractor?Only way to get it started the first time is to give it a very small sniff of start fluid , and im an auto mechanic and DO NOT like to use this stuff at all ! After the first inital start it cranks fine ! It looks like an old push button type activator switch on my right hand side ,oppsite the key but its broke ! Any info would b helpful guys thanks in advance !
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566

I'm not an expert on that model, and I'm just going on what I've read others post over the years, but I don't think that the 601/801 diesels had true glow plugs. I'm pretty sure that they had an intake manifold heater that dumped some fuel into the manifold and used an electrical heating element to set the fuel on fire inside the manifold to warm it up. I don't know if it was a standard feature on the 601/801 diesels, or if it was an option. I think that you're supposed to turn the key to the "On" position and then you push and hold the manifold heater button for about 30 seconds or so before you crank the starter. According to the New Holland parts web site, the push button energized a relay that in turn switched on a higher current to the manifold heater. The relay looks similar to the starter relay/solenoid but it's located behind the dashboard instead of down by the starter.
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304

1. You use the cup holder on your tractor to hold your cosmopolitan instead of a beer
2. You're "Santa on a tractor" Christmas yard decoration is actually a high tech digital hologram.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
rob24chevy
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70865

Sounds right redneck, cause it has what looks like 2 heaters in the intake manifold but where was the button located ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566

I'm not sure. I think that on some it might have been part of the key switch, and with others it was a separate push-button switch, but I'm not sure exactly which years/models had which. mine's got a gas engine. Can you see behind the dash well enough to see the relay? If so, follow the thinner set of wires from the relay and one end should be grounded and the other end should go to wherever the switch is that controls it.
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.