Ford 4610 MkIII tractor - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 PM   post #1 of 8
Ken Harris
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70103
Default Ford 4610 MkIII tractor

Hello,
I'm giving a neighbour a hand with his Ford tractor and would appreciate any help with the following.
The tractor developed what appears to be an electrical problem when trying to start it. The battery is OK, lights work etc but when the key is turned to the start position - nothing!
While the tractor is a fair age now it has only one owner, very low hours and kept in shed so is in pretty good shape overall.
I can start the tractor by 'jumping" the connections directly on the starter motor solenoid so have ruled out a problem there.
I think that it may be the switch or the wiring/connectors between the switch and the starter motor.
To abtain access to the switch and wiring, I have started to dismantle the hood but have run into difficulty removing the rear section over the fuel tank as it is fitted around the steering column.
I haven't been able to remove the steering wheel (probably never been off in 30 years) and there is a bracket which supports the gear selector mechanism which is a close fit over the cover which I may also have to remove.
I am not confident about disconnecting the gear linkages above the transmission housing as it may be tricky to reconnect them correctly?
If anyone has any experience or suggestions it would be much appreciated.
I don't have access to a shop manual for this tractor which makes it a bit difficult too.
I have a reasonable amount of experience working on these smaller tractors but mainly with Massey Ferguson's.
Thanks for any help offered,
Ken
Ken Harris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 AM   post #2 of 8
Tx Jim
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 53811
Default Re: Ford 4610 MkIII tractor

First check the neutral start switch located between the 2 shift levers in trans cover.
Tx Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 AM   post #3 of 8
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566

After the neutral switch, check the starter relay (solenoid).
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304
2014 Kubota BX25D w/50" snow blower

You know you might be a Nouveau Redneck if...
1. You use the cup holder on your tractor to hold your cosmopolitan instead of a beer
2. Your "Santa on a tractor" Christmas yard decoration is actually a high tech digital hologram.
3. Your deer camp cuisine is better than most 3 star restaurants.
Nouveau Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM   post #4 of 8
ssweet9c1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 47419

I bet it's neutral safety switch... Unplug it for testing purposes but do not leave it that way (for safetly purposes)
Jonathan
ssweet9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 AM   post #5 of 8
Ken Harris
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
First check the neutral start switch located between the 2 shift levers in trans cover.
Thanks for the suggestions about checking the neutral switch. I have previously checked that and from my observations the power wire from the start switch runs via the neutral switch to the starter solenoid. With the plug in the wiring loop disconnected I can measure a closed circuit in neutral and an open ciruit when the selector is moved into gear so it appears that the switch would be OK. I presume that it has to be a closed ciruit to allow starting.
Also as I have been able to 'bypass' the key start by shorting between the power wire connector and the positive terminal, both on the solenoid it would indicate that the solenoid and starter are both working fine.
Any ideas about how to finish removing or at least lifting the rear part of the hood over the fuel tank to get access to the wiring and key switch below?
Is it safe to disconnect the gear linkages above the transmission housing and the selectors?
Thanks again,
Ken
Ken Harris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 AM   post #6 of 8
Tx Jim
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 53811

Just because you have continuity when neutral start switch is in closed position does not indicate 100% that the required voltage/amps is flowing through the NS switch. I recommend checking switch with volt meter or test light.
Tx Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 PM   post #7 of 8
Rolex
MTF Member

MTF Member # 68951

I'm with Jim I always use a test light, at my place I had trouble with the native marsupials putting their teeth through the plastic coating then the wires inside corrode, when I use a voltmeter it will show a voltage but the wire will not carry a current, a test light will show this.

I have made a test box with three globes ranging from 5w to 55w for load testing wires and switches, it also has a beeper to test for dead shorts.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM   post #8 of 8
Durham Farms
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 70272

I have the very same tractor, and also had problems like this when we first got it (used):

1) Check all connections thorougly. Even through you have voltage, you may not have enough power. If my battery is low, I have 12.6 volts, but it still won't start.

2) No need to pull the cover, shifter, etc. You can remove the proof meter and access most everything.
Durham Farms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.