Toro GT2100? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-26-2006, 08:11 PM   post #1 of 6
FULLTHROTTLE
Got Low Range????

MTF Member # 1888
Default Toro GT2100?

I saw this at HD. They have several. The tractors have 23hp Kohler engines, variable belt drive, high/low range and are listed at $2100. Does anyone have any expierence with these? My Troy Bilt has variable belt drive with high and low range but I don't know how it works. Looking at maybe purchasing one as a backup. Anyone know anything about these, please reply. This is the greatest fourm I've ever surfed. Keep up the great work and past the word.
FULLTHROTTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 09:12 PM   post #2 of 6
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51
Default Re: Toro GT2100?

The Toro's at Home Depot are made by MTD under license. If you make a close side by side look, the Toro and your Troy-Bilt (also an MTD product) are pretty much the same under the paint.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2006, 09:12 AM   post #3 of 6
FULLTHROTTLE
Got Low Range????

MTF Member # 1888

Thanks for the reply bontie joe. I am hoping for more info. on the variable drive high/low range trans. and the fact that this GT is only $2100. The variable drive with high and low range looks like a great compromise in that it has a similar foot pedal drive as hydrastatic with an actual transmission with high/low range. The CC 1554 at HD is belt drive, does not have High/low range, and list for $2999. The complaint I read on this forum was that with a tiller, the belt drive slips. If it had high/low range and in low range, the belt would not slip. Now, if it only had differential lock.
Tony
Old 04-27-2006, 02:52 PM   post #4 of 6
jbgtb
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1199

Fullthrottle, I've got the hi-lo vari drive trans in my Troy Bilt GT. I'm at 135 hrs with no problems. There are a few things that I like about it: 1. If anything is going to give, it will probably be a twenty dollar belt rather than an expensive hydro pump. 2. Unlike many hydros, I get a choice of infinitley variable speeds in both hi and lo ranges. Lo is VERY low, good for pulling. 3. It operates similar to a hydro with the exception that in order to change direction, I have to shift into reverse before depressing the pedal. I have yet to have a belt slip, although I am going to adjust the belt soon due to a little bit of increased pedal travel. From what I can tell, the 2100 Toro is a clone of mine, with different sheet metal. No complaints so far. Mine has a 21 hp Briggs that is smooth a strong. The 46" deck cuts very nicely. All in all, its a fairly stout machine. Its rear axles are 1" in diameter, with 3/4" up front on a thick cast iron pivot bar. Several grease zerks to lube things up. MTD certainly is not on the cutting edge of garden tractor technology, but for the price, they offer a pretty decent product. I would advise you to go out and see if you can actually get some test drives in. You'll thank yourself in the end. Good luck.
jbgtb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2006, 09:33 PM   post #5 of 6
FULLTHROTTLE
Got Low Range????

MTF Member # 1888

jbgtb,
Sounds like you and I have similar Troy Bilts. I have a 2000 model 809 that has 150 hrs on it all mowing. It has held up well, but I'm ready to purchase a backup. I have a tiller for it but have not used it yet. The only problems I have had was the engine started running erradicaly and I took the carburator off and found the bowl to be half full of grit or rust. Figure it must have come from some bad gas. After cleaning the carb. and replacing the fuel filter she runs like new. I have my owners manual and will be glad to send you a copy of the section on changing the drive belts if you like. It may be similar to yours and would show you how to adjust your belts. I have not had to so yet and it still pulls strong.
Later,
FULLTHROTTLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2006, 10:18 PM   post #6 of 6
jbgtb
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1199

Thanks for the offer on the manual. Ironically, I spent the better part of last weekend looking for the manual on my machine (2004 Horse). I have manuals for just about everything I own in one place, so it was pretty frustrating to have misplaced it. I ended up on the MTD site and was able to download an exact copy of the original. Belt adjustment and replacement doesn't seem to be that scary of a project. If I get in over my head, I'll get back to you. Thanks.
jbgtb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.