tiller sizing for kioti - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 PM   post #1 of 11
Buck-Man
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69773
Default tiller sizing for kioti

Hey guys im looking at getting a king kutter tiller for my kioti DK35SE HST which has a 61.6" width 38H.P. and 27H.P. @ PTO.
king kutter said the 60" will work but only has a 58" cutting width and said I can probably get away with the 72",
You guys have any input on this.
Thanks
Dan
Buck-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 07:46 PM   post #2 of 11
Cat385B

MTF Member # 22567
Garage
Default Re: tiller sizing for kioti

The 72" tiller requires a minimum of 35 hp according to their specs. The 8 hp your short might make a difference in how well it operates.

Tillers come in many widths. There are 62" tillers, and several brands that have models in a 66" width.

Last edited by Cat385B; 02-21-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Cat385B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM   post #3 of 11
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45

I run a 60" tiller behind my 2305 (18hp at PTO). I can push it fast enough to bog down the tractor, but normally the speed I run in order to get enough revolutions through the soil to make it really finely tilled, the speed is such that I have no problems. Only exception is if the soil is really moist etc...

i would guess that for 50% more HP, having 20% more width should be no problem. But, you probably will experience some bogging down, and will have to slow down a bit...

I guess it's a question of how much tilling you plan on doing... if you want to till 2 acres, and you don't want to take all day, then yes - you need to go smaller.

if you are tilling a 100'x50' garden, the difference in speed is not significant to worry about.
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM   post #4 of 11
Djdoxie
MTF Member

MTF Member # 56337

I run a 60" on my CT235 (Kioti CK 27) 19.5 HP and have no problems running it. You shouldn't have any problem with a 72". I could see a major HP issue trying to run a counter rotating tiller, spinning the tiller and pulling at same time but a forward rotating tiller helps itself along a little bit.
Djdoxie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 PM   post #5 of 11
DK35vince
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 5095

You should be fine with the 72".
I run a 72" King Kutter tiller on my Kioti DK 35 with no problem.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM   post #6 of 11
jbrumberg
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 66952

You should have no difficulties running a 72" tiller. I think that the KK tillers are very conservative in their advertised PTO HP operational guidelines. If your engine starts to bog down raise the tiller slightly during operation, and go deeper on the next pass. I have always been curious of the differences between reverse and forward operating tillers and I have seen far too many "expert(?) battles" about which one is superior in operation. Djdoxie raises an interesting question as to the possible power requirements between the two types of tillers. My 60" tiller is foward rotating, and I have no complaints.
2005 NH TC29DA with 14LA and HD QA 60" bucket, weighted R-1's, FOPS, CCM M-160 (58") Tiller, Tebben MD 60" Rotary Cutter, Woods LR 108 (96") Landscape Rake, FEL cutting edge and tooth bar, Woods GB60 (60") Box Blade, Wallenstein BXM32

1995 John Deere 455 Diesel with 48" mower, MC 519 Cart with Power Flow Blower
jbrumberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 AM   post #7 of 11
TUDOR
9000+ Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 28463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck-Man View Post
Hey guys im looking at getting a king kutter tiller for my kioti DK35SE HST which has a 61.6" width 38H.P. and 27H.P. @ PTO.
king kutter said the 60" will work but only has a 58" cutting width and said I can probably get away with the 72",
You guys have any input on this.
Thanks
Dan
I don't know why a 72" tiller won't work for your tractor. My 16 hp gas powered GT had absolutely no problem with a 48" tiller. I figure you have twice the PTO horsepower that that tractor has available.

On the forward/reverse rotation question, the only concern that I have is with the reverse rotation. What happens if the tiller picks up a large rock? Can it get jammed between the housing and the tines? I know that my forward rotation tiller will kick a 6" rock out behind the tiller, and lift the tiller out of the ground in the process.

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys.
TUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM   post #8 of 11
Buck-Man
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69773

the 60" is 1500.00 the 72" is 1750.00 so is the extra 250.00 worth it when I also need a seeder/spreader.
guess Ill see when I get there which one i score.
Thanks to all for your input.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 AM   post #9 of 11
Buck-Man
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69773

Well guys I headed down south and I grabbed the 60" king kutter II from Ruarl King Thursday night right before they closed.
Got to the farm and opened the crate and attached it to the tractor . Had plenty of lube.
I tilled like a mad man Friday. I cleaned underneath when I was done and found the manual taped to the rear gate. It said grease zerk not filled at shipping . OH man
so I pumped it full of grease hopefully I didnt damage it already.
Also I adjusted the slip clutch as best I thought per PTO manual .It seemed to do its job most of the day tilling on and off, until I was tilling some heavier soil and it made that brrrppppp noise and I saw tines not moving but pto was spinning clutch got red than smoked a bit. I stopped tilling for awhile to cool and moved from that area went to another spot and Ive I hit a rock and just bounced over it no BBrrrppp sound/slippage ,and another spot in woods clearing hit some small roots no brrrppp/ or slipage .tiller just bounced and tractor bogged bad. So I backed off a 1/4 turn on bolts and still no slipage when I hit some garbage again. Did I mess something up ? The slip clutch seemed to be workin like its says until It smoked it in heavier soil.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 AM   post #10 of 11
TUDOR
9000+ Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 28463

Cooked the discs. Don't let it get that hot! The discs can weld themselve to the plates, then no more slipping, just disintegration. When it sounds off, shut it down, otherwise it's the same as riding the clutch in a car. The power is going somewhere, either into chewing the ground, or directly into heat.

Take it apart and inspect the plates and discs, then start from scratch for readjusting if everything is okay.

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys.
TUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 AM   post #11 of 11
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45

you have to constantly pay attention.. the slip clutch is not a "worry free" item. All it does is save you from constantly changing out shear pins. normally, you shouldnt be slipping the clutch for more than a second or two.... if you're not paying attention to whats going on with the tiller, you're bound to break something sooner or later....
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.