Finally built my mid mount grader blade - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 02-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
TractorBob
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40681
Default Finally built my mid mount grader blade

I read swdias thread and asked some questions and finally made my blade happen! It's not finished yet but this was the fitting and it fits perfect! I couldn't resist and had to go try it down in the town yard sand pile just down the road from me and it works AWESOME!! for the tips and help swdias and poncho62.

I took an old 48" craftsman dozer blade cut it down to height, turned the push bar around to be the drawbar and pivot. I welded a piece of channel to the front of the drawbar with side tabs to bolt it to the frame for the lift pivot point(seen in pics above). I used a piece of chain I had laying around to hang the blade with. I got the chain length right the first shot. I may also fab up some bars on each end of the blade to put weights on for some down pressure and to help dig hard packed dirt and soil.

My attachment for the blade is still in the process of laying out but heres a pic to get an idea. I am going to weld all the U shaped pieces on as teeth to scarify the ground. The points of the teeth will be about 3/4" below the blade to give some digging depth in tough, rocky NH dirt. I am going to weld 4 tabs to the top of the scarifier to through bolt it to the main grader blade. I want it to be easily removed when its not needed for finish work.

Now I need to take it back off and finish grinding down the messy welds trim the lifting chain to the right size and make a handle for the lock that holds the blade from pivoting. Then most importantly make it blue!!

Next I'm thinking a 3 pt hitch. But we'll see if I'm able to do that. If I do do that, then I may have to talk to skyrydr2.

65 Sears Suburban 8 HP w/ 10 HP repower (The Old Tractor)
72 Ford LGT125 (The Hydro)
74 Ford LGT100 (The Ford)
Johnson FEL
48" Dozer
48" Mid grader
50" Mower
42" snowthrower
86 F350 1 tn PU 4x4
03 Dodge Durango 4x4
"There is a sickness worse than alcohol and dope, it is the tractor debt, and there is no cure in sight."
TractorBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
skyrydr2
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32073
Default Re: Finally built my mid mount grader blade

Awsome job Bob! 3 point hitch is easy as long as you have a hydro trans to attach to the axle
'58 Ford 1841 Industrial(for the big jobs)
skyrydr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
poncho62
National Mower Guy

MTF Member # 19374

Looks good...I need to stiffen up the blade on mine a little
Ford LGT125
M-F 10
John Deere STX38

Ontario Rodders
poncho62 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
TractorBob
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40681

Poncho, It was easier to make than I thought. I had to use my neighbors torch and was going cut the db down the center to build it the way you and swdias did with the separate triangular drawbar but he convinced me to leave the drawbar solid for strength reasons so I did. It is very solid and has no flex to it what so ever.

Sky, Your hitch build pops up every time I do a search for ideas. I have been looking at different ideas on the 3 pts and haven't really found one on a lgt 100 other than a sleeve hitch. I have a 4 spd trans and it is quite different from your hydro tractors. Here's a pic of my rear. What part of MA are you in? I'm originally from 20mins south of boston.

65 Sears Suburban 8 HP w/ 10 HP repower (The Old Tractor)
72 Ford LGT125 (The Hydro)
74 Ford LGT100 (The Ford)
Johnson FEL
48" Dozer
48" Mid grader
50" Mower
42" snowthrower
86 F350 1 tn PU 4x4
03 Dodge Durango 4x4
"There is a sickness worse than alcohol and dope, it is the tractor debt, and there is no cure in sight."

Last edited by TractorBob; 02-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.
TractorBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
skyrydr2
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32073

North central Ma. Right off rt2 litterally .
As far as all the brackets, they are universal and should work on your rig as well. Not sure about the lower arms though ? I have to finish my LGT125 soon, as spring is coming and I would like it finished and painted . All that is left is the pto shaft setup.
'58 Ford 1841 Industrial(for the big jobs)
skyrydr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.