Honda Harmony 2013 Question - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
anthdan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69376
Default Honda Harmony 2013 Question

If I start my 2013 and then it stalls I hear a load buzzing and have to disconnect the battery or the battery will drain. After a couple minutes I can reconnect the battery - if I don't wait long enough it sparks and starts to turn over. Thinking I may need to replace the solenoid.

Thoughts?
anthdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
oifla
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 60332
Default Re: Honda Harmony 2013 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthdan View Post
If I start my 2013 and then it stalls I hear a load buzzing and have to disconnect the battery or the battery will drain. After a couple minutes I can reconnect the battery - if I don't wait long enough it sparks and starts to turn over. Thinking I may need to replace the solenoid.

Thoughts?
it could be the solenoid but i'm thinking there's something else at play - have tried running it on a different battery?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
anthdan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69376

Yes. I am on my second battery. It started this spring and initially the buzzing only lasted a few seconds or more before it stopped. By the end of the summer it would not stop until the battery was drained or I disconnected the battery. Hoping it is something I can fix myself instead of being gauged by a dealer.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
oifla
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 60332

Quote:
Yes. I am on my second battery. It started this spring and initially the buzzing only lasted a few seconds or more before it stopped. By the end of the summer it would not stop until the battery was drained or I disconnected the battery. Hoping it is something I can fix myself instead of being gauged by a dealer.
i don't think its the solenoid (or solely the solenoid). have you checked to make sure it is charging while running? it doesn't sound like it is.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
anthdan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69376

The battery does charge. What I meant was

Yes. I am on my second battery. It started this spring and initially the buzzing only lasted a few seconds or more before it stopped. By the end of the summer it would not stop BUZZING until the battery was drained or I disconnected the battery. Hoping it is something I can fix myself instead of being gauged by a dealer.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
flash5153
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Im not sure what a honda 2013 is,,,but when it stalls,,,are you shutting the key off and still having this problem?
I had a tractor with similar problems and even with the key off,,i Had to disconnect the battery. That was until I figured out what the problem was. And I still don't understand how..but I oiled the ignition and give it a work out with the key,,,and it never done it again.
I believe it was stuck,,putting power to solenoid,,then the starter,,enough to make a hmmming noise but not enough to turn it over. And was heating things up.
flash5153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
anthdan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69376

A Honda 2013 is a lawn tractor. Yes, I am turning the key off and removing the key - still buzzes. I think I will replace both the ignition switch and solenoid - both less than $20.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
A Honda 2013 is a lawn tractor. Yes, I am turning the key off and removing the key - still buzzes. I think I will replace both the ignition switch and solenoid - both less than $20.

Thanks
Before you replace anything,,,disconnect battery and try spraying some oil in ignition and move the key back and forth till it feels completely free. Then blow some air through it. Also remove plug/wires on it and clean the posts with a wire brush.

I really do not think the solenoid is the culprit. But it is possible. More likely a bad wire on it.Check the ground wires going to the small post on it. See if they/it is grounding out ,,between it and the ignition. Maybe on the frame somewhere.
The problem is in these areas somewhere??? Just need to find it.
Good Luck.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
anthdan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69376

I will check the ignition switch. After mowing the switch turns the engine off perfectly. Turning the key off does not stop turning over the engine when starting. Can turn it off and Remove the key and the engine still is turning over.

Also, the buzzing appears to be coming from the starter.

Last edited by anthdan; 01-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
I will check the ignition switch. After mowing the switch turns the engine off perfectly. Turning the key off does not stop turning over the engine when starting. Can turn it off and Remove the key and the engine still is turning over.

Also, the buzzing appears to be coming from the starter.
I think the Ignition is bad!! You could be getting feedback through the charging system to the ignition,,,but it does sound like it.
Does it do the same thing every time ,,like you say,,,or is it random???
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
anthdan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69376

It happens everytime I start it. If it starts and then stalls - always buzzing until I disconnect the battery. If it doesn't start right away and I turn the key off it continues to turn over. If it starts and doesn't stall the key turns the engine off when I am done mowing.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

Does your solenoid have 1 small post or two??

How about some pictures of the wiring ,ignition and solenoid.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
anthdan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69376

The tractor is behind stuff in the garage and I can't get to it to take pictures. Here is the wiring diagram

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ho...ESS/parts.html
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
John Matthews
MTF Member

MTF Member # 52292

Hi Anthdan,

You're probably on the right track with the solenoid. In any case they are cheap and fairly easy to replace. Some contact cleaner in the ignition switch couldn't hurt either, I haven't used oil on electrical items mostly because I have the right stuff but that may work too.

All that being said what makes you think you'll be "gauged" (gouged?) by taking your tractor to a dealer? I'm a little biased since I am a Honda dealer but this is exactly the kind of thing you really should consider contacting a dealer about if for no other reason than they have access to service bulletins affecting your machine. If you think your local dealer is overcharging for their service you can do the work yourself. At my shop we're happy to provide parts and advice to DIY customers, if you get a bad feeling from one dealer just get on the phone and contact someone else....

In my shop we charge $70/hr with a 15 minute minimum. If you did bring it in here and it was a solenoid you would probably be charged 1/2 hr ($35) + parts. Contrast that with burning up your wiring harness by trying to save a few bucks, or running it when you know something is wrong.

If I had this machine I would definitely fix it before running again in spring. I've had several customers that ignored electrical issues or tried "fixing" them who ended up basically with scrap because the cost of new wiring harnesses or repairing damaged ones was more than the tractor was worth.

Just in case the moderators are looking at this I want to be clear I'm not advertising my business, just trying to provide a professional viewpoint on this type of issue. Most independent OPE dealers are hard working family businesses that respect their customers and charge a fair rate. We understand people don't want to spend more money than they have to, but have also seen a lot of perfectly good equipment ruined by improper servicing.

JMHO,

John Matthews
Heartbeat Power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
anthdan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69376

Thanks John. I can't get the tractor to the dealer myself and one wants $50 and the other $85 for pickup and delivery. Sorry, I implied a stereotype refering to being gouged by dealers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.