Front mount blade for 8n??? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 PM   post #1 of 46
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748
Default Front mount blade for 8n???

I am thinking about trying to mount this. Has anyone done it??

I am only using this for snow so it does not need to heavy duty. And I am going to use a Gravely GT snow blade. lol
It will need to be widened and frame modified to mount ,,,and work with the 3 point lift. A cable on each side up to the front,,arms on lift tighten cables(though pulleys and lift the blade,,, in the front)

I just slid the blade under tractor and took a peak. There is little to nowhere to mount any brackets. The hitch in the back would work for strength in pushing,,and the front bumper would work to attach pulleys/cables for lifting.
But I need something in the middle to hold blade frame up off ground,,would really have little tension on it. I don't see much to grab onto with a bracket.

If I'm going to keep this tractor,,I need to find a use for it!!!

The way it looks I will be able to modify the hand angle handle ,,,to be able to reach it from seat,,,so I can angle blade.

I got to admit though,,it looks awful small in front of the 8n.
flash5153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 07:02 PM   post #2 of 46
GB in MN
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 38891
Default Re: Front mount blade for 8n???

Hi Flash5153, should be no problem mounting a blade Ford actually made a front blade for the N series tractors, I have a home built one but don't have any pictures there should be some on the forum that do though. Here's a link to the front blade I in stalled on my Earthmaster last year and it works good.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=165162
48 Earthmaster Model C
60 Sears Suburban DB
66 Sears Suburban 10 "S2"
48 Ford 8N
58 Ford 641
63 Oliver 770
04 Sears GT5000
75 Sears ST 16 S4
75 Sears SB 18 S5
74 Sears SS16 S6
GB in MN is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 04:17 AM   post #3 of 46
Kirk-NJ

MTF Member # 9444

Here is a couple of photos of my 641 with an ARPS snowplow on it. Maybe it will give you some ideas. This systems frame is secured under the rear axle and the front brackets that are secured to the front axle are long and help guide the frame and keep it from moving sideways when pushing snow when the blade is angled.

Kirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak Easyshare-Kirk's computer 111.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	190058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak Easyshare-Kirk's computer 187.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	190060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak Easyshare-Kirk's computer 300.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	190061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak Easyshare-Kirk's computer 1828.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	190062  

Kirk-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 PM   post #4 of 46
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

I got started on this today. I should have it done by tomorrow night.

Running the cable is going to be next. Since the lift arms are out way beyond the PTO and rear end. I need to make a pivot point/pulley ,for cable , that is matching,,so it will clear all that.

This is not heavy duty,for snow only,, but I have much more bracing to do.

I will be able to angle the blade from the drivers seat.

Trying to put bracing off of the front bumper without drilling holes in bumper is going to be tough. But I think I have it figured out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	103_0266.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	190728   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0267.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	190729   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0268.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	190730   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0269.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	190731  

Name:	103_0270.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	190732  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 PM   post #5 of 46
tradar
1946 2n, 316JD

MTF Member # 8530

I have plans to do a build but I am going to use a electric wench on the front to lift, and leave the back blade on.. I need the bumper, Or I will have to make a bracket,,,
Old 12-30-2011, 07:51 PM   post #6 of 46
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

I spent the major part of the day working on this. And I'm still not done.

It's more difficult figuring the best way for the cables than I thought.And then getting it done. I really think I would have been better off using a electric winch,,but too late for that.

I have over $100 into hardware (cables,pulleys,binders) and a few pieces of steel I needed. Not counting,steel I had,,,, and ,,,wow,,I have allot of time into it. Cutting ,welding,drilling

I forgot what I paid for the snow blade I modified. lol Might have been better off just buying one made for it.

It does raise up and down nice and I can tilt the blade from drivers seat. I just hope it works proper,,,,and no unseen flaws.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 PM   post #7 of 46
tradar
1946 2n, 316JD

MTF Member # 8530

Great Job I would love to see a pic of it..
Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 PM   post #8 of 46
tradar
1946 2n, 316JD

MTF Member # 8530

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash5153 View Post
i spent the major part of the day working on this. And i'm still not done.

It's more difficult figuring the best way for the cables than i thought.and then getting it done. I really think i would have been better off using a electric winch,,but too late for that.

I have over $100 into hardware (cables,pulleys,binders) and a few pieces of steel i needed. Not counting,steel i had,,,, and ,,,wow,,i have allot of time into it. Cutting ,welding,drilling

i forgot what i paid for the snow blade i modified. Lol might have been better off just buying one made for it.

It does raise up and down nice and i can tilt the blade from drivers seat. I just hope it works proper,,,,and no unseen flaws.
dude, if it works well.... Make a package and sell the pulley and bracket kit.. I'l buy one...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:57 AM   post #9 of 46
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

I already said this once,,but I think I will be done by tomorrow night.. lol

I will post lots of pictures no matter if it is a great thing or something else.
And believe me, I will put it to the test.

I have LITTLE concern about the function of the lift and angling blade, that is all great. And have good support for pushing straight back,,,,but this is a small stance frame.Pushing on a angle??? Hmmmm??

Its skinny frame plow,,,so from side to side there is a issue. I have it supported since my pics above and can push with all I have,and my body weight on the plow(sideways) and see the front wheels flex . Seems to be enough but who knows??
Old 12-31-2011, 02:01 AM   post #10 of 46
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradar View Post
dude, if it works well.... Make a package and sell the pulley and bracket kit.. I'l buy one...
LOL. I"ll keep this in mind,,but lets make sure the prototype works first.

I'm not sure I could put everything I done into words and make sense to anyone. But pictures say allot.lol
Old 12-31-2011, 04:29 AM   post #11 of 46
Kirk-NJ

MTF Member # 9444

here's a photo of my 4000 last year. This was just a temp hook up until I got the correct piece for it. Maybe it will help on how to raise the plow. I used the drawbar and a couple of angles and a pulley. The cable runs to a piece of angle secure to the 3pt lower arms with a couple of J bolts. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
I also had another snowplow,which I'm going to sell, that has a frame/cable system. It has a meyers 6' blade on it. It has a roller bar in the rear off the drawbar to aid with lifting.
I can post some photos for all who might need some ideas. IF I can figure out how to get the photos on my camera and into my new computer.
One thing I don't see on your snowplow is a way to stop the snow from moving the blade to one side. The way it looks now is ok to push snow straight but not on an angle. Maybe I'm missing something. Is there some kind of bracket or brace?

Kirk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kodak Easyshare-Kirk's computer 095.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	190921  
Kirk-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 06:35 AM   post #12 of 46
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

My one concern is how the lighter weight GT blade will hold up being pushed by the N. The 8Ns did not have a ton of HP, but its still a solid full size tractor.

I had a Dearborn blade on my 8N when I got it. the frame was bolted solid to the axle tubes, and went foward and hung from the center axle pivit. All load was sent to the rear axle tubes, and the front just held it up. This was a big solid blade, like a pickup plow, only a tick narrower. Just plowing snow banks and stuff it took some solid wallops. And that was with a 2x4" channel steel frame. So test lightly at first to see how it goes.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 11:25 AM   post #13 of 46
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk-NJ View Post
here's a photo of my 4000 last year. This was just a temp hook up until I got the correct piece for it. Maybe it will help on how to raise the plow. I used the drawbar and a couple of angles and a pulley. The cable runs to a piece of angle secure to the 3pt lower arms with a couple of J bolts. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
I also had another snowplow,which I'm going to sell, that has a frame/cable system. It has a meyers 6' blade on it. It has a roller bar in the rear off the drawbar to aid with lifting.
I can post some photos for all who might need some ideas. IF I can figure out how to get the photos on my camera and into my new computer.
One thing I don't see on your snowplow is a way to stop the snow from moving the blade to one side. The way it looks now is ok to push snow straight but not on an angle. Maybe I'm missing something. Is there some kind of bracket or brace?

Kirk
I already have the blade mounted and cables now. They do look alike in a way. (read my last post) lol I do have braces for the side to side,,,since the pictures I posted.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM   post #14 of 46
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingersoll444 View Post
My one concern is how the lighter weight GT blade will hold up being pushed by the N. The 8Ns did not have a ton of HP, but its still a solid full size tractor.

I had a Dearborn blade on my 8N when I got it. the frame was bolted solid to the axle tubes, and went foward and hung from the center axle pivit. All load was sent to the rear axle tubes, and the front just held it up. This was a big solid blade, like a pickup plow, only a tick narrower. Just plowing snow banks and stuff it took some solid wallops. And that was with a 2x4" channel steel frame. So test lightly at first to see how it goes.
I agree with all of that. I really don't know if it will hold up. But I don't plan on getting too crazy with it.

I am widening this blade too,,a little on each side. And with it being supported by frame in the center only. It might be too much for it.

I guess if it breaks or bends ,,I can fix it as a non angling blade with allot of support. Can't do that if I want it angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 02:17 PM   post #15 of 46
dmorrill22
Sears Fan

MTF Member # 38986
Garage

Just curious - is there any reason you didn't buy a cheap plow blade off craigslist and adapt it?

1966 Colt 2712 (Restoration in progress)

1969 Sears SS12 (Soon to be a dedicated grader!)
- Homemade snow plow (in progress)
- GM 3-wire alternator
- Duromax 16hp Repower
- Custom headlights

1972 Sears SS15 (Work in progress)
dmorrill22 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.