Snow Plow build - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 PM   post #1 of 9
Batta
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 68368
Default Snow Plow build

I am hoping to get some of your opinions on a snow plow project I am planning. The materials I have are somewhat questionable as far as the durability. I am planning on using an end out of a kerosene/ heating oil tank that I drug out of my basement for the blade. My main question for everyone is do you think this has a chance of holding up at all? This will be for my craftsman lawn tractor so where not talking much pushing power. I don't know the exact thickness of the metal but it's not very heavy however after I cut it out I stood on it to see how flimsy it acted and it seemed to do very well. By the way I weigh in at about 270lbs. What do you guys think of this idea or has something like this been done already.

Thanks in advance.
Batta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM   post #2 of 9
dmorrill22
Sears Fan

MTF Member # 38986
Garage
Default Re: Snow Plow build

I'm not nearly concerned about the thickness of the blade skin as I am about the tractor you plan on putting behind it. If you have a "lawn tractor", it probably won't last long plowing. The rear ends are not usually durable enough to plow snow with. Get a garden tractor - you will have no regrets!

That being said - an oil tank makes a great blade - the curve is right, and the skin is thick enough. You may need to cut out some support ribs to weld on though. I am using angle iron as support ribs for my plow build. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress!

1966 Colt 2712 (Restoration in progress)

1969 Sears SS12 (Soon to be a dedicated grader!)
- Homemade snow plow (in progress)
- GM 3-wire alternator
- Duromax 16hp Repower
- Custom headlights

1972 Sears SS15 (Work in progress)
dmorrill22 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 AM   post #3 of 9
Batta
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 68368

A garden tractor is on the wish list but for now I just have to deal with what I have. I'm glad to hear that my plan should work as far as the plow. I will post pics as I get time to work on it.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM   post #4 of 9
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

The "skin" for the plow dont need to be that thick,its the "ribs" welded to the skin that take most of the abuse..if your using a typical 250+ gallon oil tank,those are about 3/16" thick,and are a good choice for the blade ---I have made a few plows from them,one I used sections of old car rims for the "ribs" to reinforce it,and put angle iron across the top to stiffen it up more..

Your lawn tractor will work OK as long as you dont use it like a truck--stay within its limitations and you'll be OK--no ramming snowbanks at full speed,or you'll probably bend up the chassis just behind the front tires..weight in the tires,wheel weights and chains are a must to get any kind of satisfaction though,even on a larger garden tractor..
Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM   post #5 of 9
Batta
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 68368

I have some chains planned as well for the tractor. And possibly fluid filling the tires, I have been doing some reading on here about that as well. I would like to see some pics of different types of the support ribs that have been used if anyone has any handy. That would help me figure out what the best route would be with the materials I have on hand.

Thanks for the input
Old 12-20-2011, 07:50 PM   post #6 of 9
spanico
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 26105

I had an older Murray 42" lawn tractor that I modded up a blade for from an old well tank, with tire chains it lasted many winters, now the same set-up is mounted to a 1969 Sears SS12, still plowing along. Although I use my FEL on a Massey 205 more often for snow. The most important aspect is the mounting points of the plow and traction of chains. Make sure you mount to the strongest part of the pressed metal frame. My original tire chains were homemade, not hard to make at all, two long sections and short cross chains every 10 inches or so, I used some strong wire ties at first then some release links later.
spanico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM   post #7 of 9
dmorrill22
Sears Fan

MTF Member # 38986
Garage

spanico. do you have pics of your setup on your sears?

- GM 3-wire alternator
- Duromax 16hp Repower
- Custom headlights

Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM   post #8 of 9
dmorrill22
Sears Fan

MTF Member # 38986
Garage

Any updates?

- GM 3-wire alternator
- Duromax 16hp Repower
- Custom headlights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM   post #9 of 9
hairyapple
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 49515
Default Re: Snow Chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanico View Post
I had an older Murray 42" lawn tractor that I modded up a blade for from an old well tank, with tire chains it lasted many winters, now the same set-up is mounted to a 1969 Sears SS12, still plowing along. Although I use my FEL on a Massey 205 more often for snow. The most important aspect is the mounting points of the plow and traction of chains. Make sure you mount to the strongest part of the pressed metal frame. My original tire chains were homemade, not hard to make at all, two long sections and short cross chains every 10 inches or so, I used some strong wire ties at first then some release links later.
Ditto I have made several sets of tire chains for my Gravely Ls 3 for the standard tires and 1 for the GRW's all out of old chain sets originally meant to be used on a car. These seem to be pretty easy to find, mine all came out of the scrap metal dumpster at our local transfer station. These are usually made out of hardened steel and I found I could only work them with an acetylene torch.
hairyapple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.