Front Wheel Weights - finally - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM   post #1 of 43
yamato72
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 14161
Garage
Default Front Wheel Weights - finally

Christmas came early, I finally acquired a set of wheel weights, for the front in this case.

These are so expensive these days it's insane! These will go on my 18G for plowing this winter. I have a line on a set of weights for the rear wheels, should have them after the holiday.

You guys may have seen this picture before, I don't know whose it is, but my eventual goal for my 816 is something like this:

The grader blade will take a while, but the additional front wheel weights stacked on the weight bracket poses a different problem. These are going for about $100 a pair on ebay, so I've thought about coming up with a rack that mounts in a similar fashion but just has a bar for suitcase weights. Since I don't have the metalworking equipment that would mean paying somebody so maybe that wouldn't be any cheaper....

Eventually I'd like factory weights at all four corners for both of my tractors, just need to be patient.

I do have a question, do you guys take any precautions to protect the paint on the wheels when you bolt yours on?
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 12:19 PM   post #2 of 43
arcam8123
Gravelyyard.com

MTF Member # 1157
Default Re: Front Wheel Weights - finally

It can be done. I have a full set for my riders. I refused to pay more than $50 a pair and I've succeded.

It did take over 5 years..........
arcam8123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 12:29 PM   post #3 of 43
popcorn popper
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40534

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato72 View Post
Eventually I'd like factory weights at all four corners for both of my tractors, just need to be patient.

I do have a question, do you guys take any precautions to protect the paint on the wheels when you bolt yours on?
All four corners.

Regarding protecting the paint on the wheels... keep them clean, pull them off at least once a year to inspect, grease wheel bearings, and touch up.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-12-08_20-50-48_687.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	188692  
popcorn popper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 12:29 PM   post #4 of 43
Canary Al

MTF Member # 51761

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcam8123 View Post
It can be done. I have a full set for my riders. I refused to pay more than $50 a pair and I've succeded.

It did take over 5 years..........
Not very encouraging for a guy with his eye on this as well. Is it my imagination or has the cost of acquisition of Gravely anything and everything gone up in the last 2 years? About three years ago I agreed to get my sister's 8122 "going again", and got bitten by the bug.
Canary Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 12:38 PM   post #5 of 43
yamato72

MTF Member # 14161
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary Al View Post
Not very encouraging for a guy with his eye on this as well. Is it my imagination or has the cost of acquisition of Gravely anything and everything gone up in the last 2 years? About three years ago I agreed to get my sister's 8122 "going again", and got bitten by the bug.
This set came from ebay, the same seller has two more sets listed right now. The kicker is the shipping. He charged $36 and sent them in a medium flat-rate box, which is only $10.95. Seems excessive.

Mr. Popper, tell me more about those tires, with all the extra wheels I have I have thought about a set of lugs for when I play with the tiller. If you like those quad tires for plowing, I'd like to know more about them as my driveway gets pretty scraped up by the chains.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 PM   post #6 of 43
tracktortag

MTF Member # 36044

You'll also be able to use them on the rears when you pick up your 408.

I would'nt mind having a set of fronts, along with another set of rears.

As for protecting the wheels with weights installed, I apply duct tape to the inner sides of the weights before I install them. The duct tape creates a protective surface between the weights, and wheels. It works well for me.

Just out of curiosity, have you had any thought of looking at the tractor for sale ("Nice Paint Job" thread) near you? I've been thinking that it could be a good tractor in somewhere in the $400's as long as it does'nt need much more than paint.
tracktortag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 PM   post #7 of 43
yamato72

MTF Member # 14161
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracktortag View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you had any thought of looking at the tractor for sale ("Nice Paint Job" thread) near you? I've been thinking that it could be a good tractor in somewhere in the $400's as long as it does'nt need much more than paint.

I have a feeling that could be a pretty good buy, but I can't touch another rider until I get my 816 finished.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:18 PM   post #8 of 43
popcorn popper
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40534

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato72 View Post
Mr. Popper, tell me more about those tires, with all the extra wheels I have I have thought about a set of lugs for when I play with the tiller. If you like those quad tires for plowing, I'd like to know more about them as my driveway gets pretty scraped up by the chains.

You can buy them here.

Here's a video of them in action using the rear tiller... no chains needed. Be aware that they are 25 inch tires and come close to the rear seat pan of the older tractors. They have plenty of clearance with the new style seat pan.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=191157

I have them on a couple different tractors. They are hard on the turf... not for mowing grass unless you want your yard to look like a quad race track.

Tom

Last edited by popcorn popper; 12-16-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM   post #9 of 43
arcam8123
Gravelyyard.com

MTF Member # 1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary Al View Post
Not very encouraging for a guy with his eye on this as well.

Is it my imagination or has the cost of acquisition of Gravely anything and everything gone up in the last 2 years? .
Yes it is, the cost has gone down. Three years ago the average eBay price for a set of front wheel weights were around $150 and the most I ever saw a set sell for was around $235! Weight racks went for $200 to $250. Wheel spacers were around $100. You could drop $150 on a quick hitch. Heck, I sold a sulky on ebay for $205! It started at $9.95.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:56 PM   post #10 of 43
yamato72

MTF Member # 14161
Garage

Looking at pictures of tractors with them installed, it looks like "nubs-in" is the correct way?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:46 PM   post #11 of 43
Mike.ASC

MTF Member # 39049

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn popper View Post
All four corners.

Regarding protecting the paint on the wheels... keep them clean, pull them off at least once a year to inspect, grease wheel bearings, and touch up.

Tom
Greetings Tom . Pardon my ignorance , are those gravely wheel weights on that rear weight rack or just some random round weights with holes in the middle ...?

Mike
Mike.ASC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 PM   post #12 of 43
popcorn popper
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.ASC View Post
Greetings Tom . Pardon my ignorance , are those gravely wheel weights on that rear weight rack or just some random round weights with holes in the middle ...?

Mike
It is a stock Gravely front rack and weights... bolted to the rear hitch. You use the same weight rack brackets, just bolt them to the plate on the opposite sides.

I guess it's actually incorrect to call it a "front weight rack" because it works on both ends of the tractor.

Tom
Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 PM   post #13 of 43
arcam8123
Gravelyyard.com

MTF Member # 1157

Yes, that weight rack would fit the front, rear draw bar and the rear sleeve hitch. The small round weights would fit the front of a 400, 800, 8000, or G, the rear of a 408, the weight rack and some of the Pro models. It is very versatile and high demand. Big bucks too.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 PM   post #14 of 43
RedRider8179KT
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 55519

Ah wheel weights. I've spent a small fortune on wheel weights this year, two sets of rear weights and three sets of front weights. Still need four more sets of front weights to fill up my weight rack. Maybe next year...
RedRider8179KT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 05:13 PM   post #15 of 43
PA RedRider
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32057

Beware about shipping those 15# Gravely front weights as a set in a USPS flat rate box. A fellow I agreed to buy a set from had them bust through the box and were lost in the mail. Only thing I received was a clear bag with a busted up empty box inside. He was gracious enough to send me a second set.

----
Looking for a home for:
- Fan belt for a 6.6/7.6
- Seat pan support brackets for a G-series
- Axle bearing retainers for a G-series
- Tapered axle wheel hubs
- 5665 2-wheeler
- Case 155 w/attachments

Looking for:
- Side shields for a rotary cultivator
- Steering brake kit for a 5000 series
- G-series lift assist kit
PA RedRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.