Power king and Economy tractor history - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Power King & Economy Tractors Power King, Power Queen, Jim Dandy Tractor Brands

Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 PM   post #1 of 36
Aksarben96
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 30969
Default Power king and Economy tractor history

I tried the search for this but came up with 550 threads , can someone point me to the right thread if this has been answered before .
I d like to know when and where they started ,
what models they made,
what attachments they made ,
if they are still in business?
Troy-bilt Pony Tiller
1995Toro 824 powershift w/cab, John Deere 14sbs sp
1993 Snapper 5hp mulch convert. sp.
Nebraska Winter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvqF768uDxM
Nebraska Green http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeNt_3a6OT8
Hail http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U79qL5fofQ
Aksarben96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 10:07 PM   post #2 of 36
jas11964
Still plays with tractors

MTF Member # 8340
Default Re: Power king and Economy tractor history

Oh, where do we start? 1946 was the first year. Serial number 101 which still resides in Wisconsin where these tractors were built. It's difficult to give a real accurate history because 1) the company was lousy at record keeping and 2) a lot of the records were destroyed. No, I don't know how and that's just going by what Iw as told. The models varied throughout the years but were basically the same. Same basic tractors, just different model designations. They started with the basic Economy tractor. That was it. Made around 22 that year I think. The Jim Dandy came along in the 50s. It was the smaller tractor and the bigger tractor was known as the Power King. Those were the model designation up through the early 70s. Around the mid 70s they came up with the number designations that everyone likes to apply to the earlier years. 1614, 2418, 1612, etc. These numbers were mearly the tire size first (16, 24...) and the horse power second (14, 16, 18...). The company changed the name of the tractors from Economy to Power King when the numbering system came to be. They thought the name Economy made them sound cheap. This number system stayed with the tractor line until they closed up shop around 1996. Attachments ranged anywhere from mower decks to hi lifts to backhoes to hay rakes and anything in between.

Jeff

http://picasaweb.google.com/jas11964
1983 Power King 2414
1981 Power King 1614 w/FEL
1973 Economy 14hp

1977 Satoh Beaver
1954 Pond
1972 Wheelhorse Raider 14
1977 Wheelhorse B100 8 Speed
1961 Wagner Little Giant

1942 Speedex Model B
2003 Wheelhorse Classic 315-8
jas11964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 PM   post #3 of 36
met828
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35689
Garage

i dont know if its been answered but they were first made in 1946 in Wisconsin by engineering products i know the city but cant remember how its spelt. They were made under many different names started as economy tractor also the small ones at the time were called jim dandy, then in the 60s i think they came out with power king, they were some country squire models as well. They made a lot of attachments mowers,tillers,snow blowers, front blades,rear blades,log splitters,buzz saw,rakes,cab for winter time, planters and farrows,plows (that should been a give away after the whole list),front loaders,back hoe attachments. the list could go on and on but i think i got most of them. Sadly the are not in business anymore mission manufacturing owns the right to make there parts now i think the last one rolled out in 1996 in the 80s the switched to fiberglass models which were not the quality of the steel bodies that they started with. I think i got most of what you asked covered if I missed something or if I got something wrong someone else will chime in. They were great lil machines could pull the ears off a brass billy goat or move a mountain lil orange giants they were.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:17 PM   post #4 of 36
bmxkid313

MTF Member # 62422
Garage

just a head up... the more you learn the less you know, this is because like stated before they kept bad records and they used inventory as they had it so they could have a older style that is actually newer than a new style that came out before the other one. (i could be wrong, as i said the more you learn... the less you know) the city is waukesha Wisconsin
'66 simplicity broadmoor
312-8 wheel horse
'52 tiger 883
'76 cub cadet 124
'40s speedex
'68 toro 5

Why did the Deere cross the road? To hide in the grass.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bmxkid313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 PM   post #5 of 36
Aksarben96

MTF Member # 30969

Thank You met828 and bmxkid313 for the information . I have seen a few of these machines from time to time ,most have had a mower or a 3ph single plow or a snow plow usually those seemed to have been homebuilt or just the general impression like the plows on Farmall's rugged and simple , I have never seen one with a cab or loader or backhoe , those must have been very rare ? I guess that would have been due to price more than anything else .
Troy-bilt Pony Tiller
Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 PM   post #6 of 36
bmxkid313

MTF Member # 62422
Garage

go on google and search them there are many fels but they are rare for how many power kings their actually are. they are very simple and some things can appear to be homemade but that what made these tractors great. backhoes were called terramites and not very many of them that i know about, i personally think that they were poorly designed and its one of the attachments that would appear to be homemade if you didn't know they made them. username has a king with a cab. i posted some pics for you below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81+bucket+5.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	182780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Email Power King Pic.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	182781   Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	182782  
'66 simplicity broadmoor
312-8 wheel horse
'52 tiger 883
'76 cub cadet 124
'40s speedex
'68 toro 5

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Old 11-12-2011, 10:51 PM   post #7 of 36
Aksarben96

MTF Member # 30969

Thank You BmxKid for the Photo's
Troy-bilt Pony Tiller
Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 PM   post #8 of 36
bmxkid313

MTF Member # 62422
Garage

No problem. I always save intresting pics of power kings or attachments or just anything that looks good, never know when you might need a referance.
'66 simplicity broadmoor
312-8 wheel horse
'52 tiger 883
'76 cub cadet 124
'40s speedex
'68 toro 5

Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 AM   post #9 of 36
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

This letter was sent to me from one of the Engineers....

Like any company that lasted from 1946 to the early 1990s there are lots of twists and turns that happened. Engineering Products Co., Inc. was the official corporate name of the company that produced your tractor. We basically assembled the tractors from parts that we purchased - we didn't make engines or hydraulic cylinders or electrical switches or transmissions, we bought them. We had castings made and had various shops do the machining. Everything came into our plant and we assembled them. In all those years the sales process changed - Factory Direct to the Customer, thru dealers, thru distributors and sometimes a combination of these. The entire tractor line and the various models had a number of changes that also at times crossed over. Your "Country Squire Tractor" was produced at a time when an individual (who later became the in-house Sales Manager) was employed to work out of his house, in Muskego, WI, and sell tractors factory direct to customers via mail order. When your tractor came down the line it simply was given a different Name Plate and next serial number stamped onto it. In another time a tractor might have been a "Country Squire model" of an Economy Tractor because of the particular combination of front and rear tire sizes that it had been ordered with.

Kbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM   post #10 of 36
Aksarben96

MTF Member # 30969

If the goal is to have a platform that allows maximum versatility like the Gravely system did why didn't this mfg grow and survive ?

Did economics of having all those other suppliers making all the attachments and parts for them finally cause them to be over priced ?
Was it a case that buyers wanted a flashy molded shape over utility and function ?
Was it a case they were to slow to innovate and make improvements to the basic machine ?
Troy-bilt Pony Tiller
Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 AM   post #11 of 36
bmxkid313

MTF Member # 62422
Garage

It could have been any number of reasons but I think one of the main reasons was when they switched to the plastics, the tractors had a lot of problems. If it was gear drive I think it had a 5 clutch system, or maybe it was 3, I don't remember. These clucthes had tons of problems and costed big bucks to fix. That was the big problem with the plastics, I remember seeing something about the time I joined that pointed out a few other problems but I don't remember what they are. Hopefuly met828 can give you his pholosiphy on buying a plastic...
'66 simplicity broadmoor
312-8 wheel horse
'52 tiger 883
'76 cub cadet 124
'40s speedex
'68 toro 5

Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM   post #12 of 36
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

One problem was the tranny switch.
The newer one needed to turn backwards.

Kbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 AM   post #13 of 36
flatfenders
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 32990

I work in Waukesha Wisconsin. There apparently was more than one Economy Tractor plant in Waukesha since they had moved at least one time to larger facilities. I have driven around, and think that I found one of the old plants, maybe two, but much has changed since they were produced here so many of the factories do not look the same anymore due to renovations by subsequent companies, and it appears that even the address numbers have changed at one of them.

Waukesha is also home to the world famous Waukesha Engine/Dresser Plant. My father-in-law worked there for many years. When he first saw my tractor he remembered that years ago he used to see semi trailers full of these orange tractors, and apparently the trucks would stop at the Waukesha Engine plant picking up some sort of parts. I often thought that a semi trailer full of economy tractors would be a really neat sight. I wonder if there is a picture of a truckload of them somewhere....

And on the subject of Waukesha engine...perhaps it is a coincidence, but Waukesha engine colors used to be an orange color that seems very close to the power king orange. I often wondered if they were the same shade, or perhaps even from the same source. My father-in-law used to bring home surplus gallons of it if the paint was old and/or perhaps when Waukesha changed their engine colors to grey.

I have not looked for the Muskego plant where the country Squires were made, but do go through Muskego often, I'll see if I can track it down. I did see a fellow on the Power King Yahoo board who put together a neat little history summary and photos of many of the past manufacturing locations....it is worth checking out.

Last edited by flatfenders; 11-13-2011 at 11:48 AM.
flatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 11:56 AM   post #14 of 36
met828
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35689
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksarben96 View Post
If the goal is to have a platform that allows maximum versatility like the Gravely system did why didn't this mfg grow and survive ?

Did economics of having all those other suppliers making all the attachments and parts for them finally cause them to be over priced ?
Was it a case that buyers wanted a flashy molded shape over utility and function ?
Was it a case they were to slow to innovate and make improvements to the basic machine ?
They were a but expensive back in the day to i think in 1962 just the tractor sold for $600, plus any implements or extras you wanted bigger engine lil more mowing deck cost i think an extra $200 so just to mow your looking at $800 bucks in 1962 that was good bit and when you could go down to sears or Montgomery Wards and get one a heck of a lot cheaper, but they did make it to 1996 i believe, but they changed to plastic bodies as stated before and i think the amount of attachments you could get went down and quality as well. Also in the last days there was more competition the japs and there sub compact diesels were here for around the same price and you could still go to sears or home depot and buy a cheaper mower.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 11:56 AM   post #15 of 36
bmxkid313

MTF Member # 62422
Garage

my uncle grew up next to a dealer, he said they always had at least 30 sitting outside. and every now and then you would hear one fire up for a potential customer. he loves to see mine as he loved those tractors when he was a kid.

i would like to see a semi full of them too, i have a pic of a goose neck full. it was at portersville and i did not take the pics. i dont remember who took them so i can not give proper credit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portersville 11 012.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	182836  
'66 simplicity broadmoor
312-8 wheel horse
'52 tiger 883
'76 cub cadet 124
'40s speedex
'68 toro 5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.