Hard starting 20hp briggs - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 PM   post #1 of 51
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748
Default Hard starting 20hp briggs

Its a twin,,no OHV. 461707

When I got it ,,it would not roll over. The guy told me it started hard. But like I said,,,when I got it , the starter would not turn the engine over.

I had a used starter on the shelf,, that I knew nothing about it,,other than was on a engine for parts.(I never put juice to it). But I put it on the 20 hp

And it will start ,,but rolls hard still. Although it starts every time,,I want to fix it.

Can the valves be adjusted on this engine?? Or do you think I (still) have a weak starter??

I have other (good)briggs starters on GT's,,but it is a pain to change to this 20hp. Starter has to be taken apart and a bracket put on the top of it for mounting.Although allot of work,,this might be the best move for me at this point.

What do you think???
flash5153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 PM   post #2 of 51
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950
Default Re: Hard starting 20hp briggs

Common thing on these engines to buildup a ton of carbon on the pistons and heads. You can try to seafoam them, or pull the heads and scrape it off...the carbon actually bumps the compression up and can make for difficult starting.

Ive seen these come in knocking from the carbon on the head hitting the piston at top dead center, on both cylinders...not smoking, not using oil, running excellently.

1962 WH702

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 PM   post #3 of 51
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 View Post
Common thing on these engines to buildup a ton of carbon on the pistons and heads. You can try to seafoam them, or pull the heads and scrape it off...the carbon actually bumps the compression up and can make for difficult starting.

Ive seen these come in knocking from the carbon on the head hitting the piston at top dead center, on both cylinders...not smoking, not using oil, running excellently.
What are my chances of doing this without new head gaskets?? I guess I could try ,,and if the gaskets don't look good/reusable,,,,just go and get new.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 PM   post #4 of 51
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash5153 View Post
What are my chances of doing this without new head gaskets?? I guess I could try ,,and if the gaskets don't look good/reusable,,,,just go and get new.
Ive never had to replace one.

I loosen all the bolts like a turn..then smack the head from the side with a mallet, then pull the head bolts and remove the head, usually the gasket is stuck to one side or the other, with only a few small spots of rip....

1962 WH702

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 AM   post #5 of 51
Tater305
Banned

MTF Member # 39591

just take it slow I have taken heads off many a number of these motors and never had to replace them(I say that now and it will happen) just have a knife or something to separate the gasket from the head or the block which ever will come off first and the easiest.
Tater305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 02:19 AM   post #6 of 51
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

I cleaned the heads,,,was pretty bad. I had no problem with gaskets,,they come off clean.

It did help,,but didn't solve the problem. Still starts slow. Some times will turn over just perfect. Others,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not so good,,,but always starts.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:16 AM   post #7 of 51
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Well, now that thats out of the way, clean your battery to frame ground point, and check your hot wire from the battery to the solenoid, and from the solenoid to the starter for damage.

One way I check for resistance in the field is to pull the plug wires off, crank the engine for 10 seconds...then start at the battert and feel all the wires to their termination points for hot spots. a Hot spot indicates increased resistance, which is basically bleeding off amperage.

If the battery terminals, ground, wires, solenoid, etc arent hot after say 20 seconds of cranking (10s 1 minute cool down, then 10s more) then go to the starter...is IT hot at the hot wire, or is the case hot, lower cap hot?

These starters and wiring systems were just adequate to crank over these twins new...any loss of efficiency can make problems.

Also a dragging PTO belt can make problems too.

1962 WH702

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 AM   post #8 of 51
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

"Can the valves be adjusted on this engine?"

Of course the valves can be adjusted but not easily. The valves on these engines very seldom need adjusting and then usually after someone has "done a valve job" and flubbed it. Unlike OHV engines, there is little wear in valve train and then what there is makes the compression release system used become more efficient, not less as in OHV engines.

IF you have reason to think it may have had a valve job, it is entirely possible whoever did it left too much clearance as many people still go by the old myth that it is better to leave more "just to be sure".

IF you would like a Service Manual for the engine, contact me at address below, put in proper format and remind me what you want.

And I always use new gaskets. Even though the gasket surface may appear good, the gasket has been compressed, is no longer pliable.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Last edited by Walt 2002; 11-03-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 PM   post #9 of 51
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 View Post
Well, now that thats out of the way, clean your battery to frame ground point, and check your hot wire from the battery to the solenoid, and from the solenoid to the starter for damage.

One way I check for resistance in the field is to pull the plug wires off, crank the engine for 10 seconds...then start at the battert and feel all the wires to their termination points for hot spots. a Hot spot indicates increased resistance, which is basically bleeding off amperage.

If the battery terminals, ground, wires, solenoid, etc arent hot after say 20 seconds of cranking (10s 1 minute cool down, then 10s more) then go to the starter...is IT hot at the hot wire, or is the case hot, lower cap hot?

These starters and wiring systems were just adequate to crank over these twins new...any loss of efficiency can make problems.

Also a dragging PTO belt can make problems too.

I had a little time to look at this tonight. Just starting it,,rolls very slow at first,,then will take off. Just doing this ,,the neg cable is getting hot. I removed battery,,and cleaned the connections,,to battery and to frame under battery. Didn't help!!
The cable looks good. It has a small wire going from the connection at frame ,,to 25 amp fuse,,then to solenoid.
Positive cable is not getting hot at all.

No belts are moving with brake applied,,so can eliminate that,,,I think?? Not sure if there could still be some resistance..

Do you think this short negative cable is the problem?? Or could it be something more??
Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 PM   post #10 of 51
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt 2002 View Post
"Can the valves be adjusted on this engine?"

Of course the valves can be adjusted but not easily. The valves on these engines very seldom need adjusting and then usually after someone has "done a valve job" and flubbed it. Unlike OHV engines, there is little wear in valve train and then what there is makes the compression release system used become more efficient, not less as in OHV engines.

IF you have reason to think it may have had a valve job, it is entirely possible whoever did it left too much clearance as many people still go by the old myth that it is better to leave more "just to be sure".

IF you would like a Service Manual for the engine, contact me at address below, put in proper format and remind me what you want.

And I always use new gaskets. Even though the gasket surface may appear good, the gasket has been compressed, is no longer pliable.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com
I'm really hoping I do not need to get into this engine.lol

I also do not believe anyone has had it apart through the discussion with previous owner.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 PM   post #11 of 51
larrybl
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 37470
Garage

I have both versions Horz and Vert 18hp briggs. All fully rebuilt, Valve adjustment usually takes replaceing the valves and grinding the stems.

1. I experiance the "hit the key" and the starter enguages but the eng dosn;t start to spin right away.... then it will turn slowly, then fire. Mainly when Cold Cold, or after a stall when hot. Other times it will spin fine. (Both engines do this).

2. I would supect the neg cable may be the issue if getting hot.... Or the starter needs a clean and lube as it may be drawing too many amps.

3. I always try the cheeper fixes before tearing into the engine.
larrybl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM   post #12 of 51
monteman_73
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53585

I take it that this is an opposing twin? If so, leave the choke off before you start cranking. Once the engine made one full turn, pull the choke while you're still cranking the engine. I have an 18 hp this way. I can have jumper cables hooked up and it doesn't help. But if I start cranking and then pull the choke it will keep spinning to start. Good luck in your venture.
monteman_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 PM   post #13 of 51
larrybl
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 37470
Garage

Took a quick video, this mower hasn't been started in 2 weeks, Second try is a classis example when the engine stops dead like the battery is low then takes off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu7dqqIYTkI
larrybl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 PM   post #14 of 51
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteman_73 View Post
I take it that this is an opposing twin? If so, leave the choke off before you start cranking. Once the engine made one full turn, pull the choke while you're still cranking the engine. I have an 18 hp this way. I can have jumper cables hooked up and it doesn't help. But if I start cranking and then pull the choke it will keep spinning to start. Good luck in your venture.
I will give it a try ,,,why not huh??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 PM   post #15 of 51
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybl View Post
I have both versions Horz and Vert 18hp briggs. All fully rebuilt, Valve adjustment usually takes replaceing the valves and grinding the stems.

1. I experiance the "hit the key" and the starter enguages but the eng dosn;t start to spin right away.... then it will turn slowly, then fire. Mainly when Cold Cold, or after a stall when hot. Other times it will spin fine. (Both engines do this).

2. I would supect the neg cable may be the issue if getting hot.... Or the starter needs a clean and lube as it may be drawing too many amps.

3. I always try the cheeper fixes before tearing into the engine.

Of course,,cheaper fixes are always better. lol

But if a have to I will do valves. Although I have never done it. First I will change cable,,,if no help I will change starter,,,then onto valves if needed.

I don't mind ,,usually a small hesitation in starting,,but this pretty bad and not acceptable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.