Non heated garage ,,how to?? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM   post #1 of 11
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748
Default Non heated garage ,,how to??

Keep liquids from freezing through the winter.

I plan on using the garage but it might go days sometimes without any heat in it. How can keep my cleaning fluids,paint,carb cleaners,grease,,ect from freezing with minimal heat? There is allot of these items.

I am thinking of building a small room ,,,well insulated and putting a space heater or heat light bulb in it. Anyone know what it takes to get it done?? What amount of heat.

I really don't want to run a electric space heater but I will if I have to. A heat lamp would be much more efficient.

I will be using and heating the garage with a salamander through the week ,,but weekends might see days go by without this.
flash5153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 AM   post #2 of 11
Tencubed
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 31735
Default Re: Non heated garage ,,how to??

Actually a heat lamp would be less efficient for heating than a space heater. You'd loose a small fraction of energy to light that would not convert back to heat.

A small room with a space heater, I'd use one of the oil filled ones of good quality, with an inline thermostat set for 40 degrees or so, would probably be your easiest solution.

Reason I suggest an in line thermostat is any of the space heaters I've seen do not regulate down as low as you could get away with. Whatever method of electric resistance heat you select you will get the same BTUs per watt, about 3.42, regardless of claims made by the heater manufacturer.

Mike
Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 PM   post #3 of 11
Dragon
Handyman

MTF Member # 6544

A cold garage solution solution I have seen before is to use an old freezer carcass. Upright freezer is ideal as it is all one space inside and has shelves in place. Not to mention it is already well insulated.

Using the drain hole (if so equipped) or drilling a hole; insert an electric line up into the main compartment and wire it to a light bulb receptacle. Mount the receptacle to the floor of the freezer. Insulate the hole for the cord penetration.

Next you will want to play around with varying sizes of bulbs to determine what works best to get the temperature you desire. I would recommend using one of the Compact Florescent bulbs to save on the $$$ as it will be on all the time in the winter months.

Another benefit is that since the output is so low when using bulbs there is not as high a chance of a fire as might happen with cycling on and off a much more powerful space heater.

I have also seen this same type of setup used for storage of rifles/shotguns. The one I saw was in a basement. The shelves were removed and the sides had brackets mounted to hold at least a dozen weapons vertically. Not to mention the built in shelves on the back of the door for holding ammunition and cleaning materials.

To top it off there was also a "regular" rifle cabinet located nearby that held a few low quality .22's and pellet rifles. This was a decoy for any would be thieves. Since they would "find" the rifle cabinet out in the open they would never think to look in a freezer for the good stuff.

Another benefit of this is that the heat from the bulb also helps eliminate moisture from the cabinet. A definite plus when used for weapon storage.

Here is an online image I found of a similar setup; however this one does not have the light bulb in it.
Attached Images

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM   post #4 of 11
jhon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 58888

Dragon,

I saw this title on the main page and decided to look at it and see what it was about as I have a unheated garage. I just want to say that your solution to his issue is one of the reasons I troll these and other forums. I get a lot of great ideas and learn a lot of stuff.

Thanks for a great answer.

Thanks

Jhon
jhon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 PM   post #5 of 11
Dragon
Handyman

MTF Member # 6544

jhon,

You are very welcome. I too love to roam around and find those items that make me slap my head and say "why didn't I think of that".

Have to pay it forward like this and respond with suggestions myself.

Another benefit of the freezer is that you can still move it around fairly easy unlike a dedicated built on site room.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 PM   post #6 of 11
G-1
Senior Tinkerer

MTF Member # 43157

Whatever you use as a cabinet to store things that should not freeze, here is something that could control the heat source...and at a very reasonable price.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/thermo-...outlet-2170275

This would also be great for keeping an outside doghouse at tolerable temperatures during the winter.

Gerald
G-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 02:49 PM   post #7 of 11
KCFLY
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 48034

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-1 View Post
Whatever you use as a cabinet to store things that should not freeze, here is something that could control the heat source...and at a very reasonable price.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/thermo-...outlet-2170275

This would also be great for keeping an outside doghouse at tolerable temperatures during the winter.

Gerald
That is a very slick little item to have! Thanks for linking, I've never seen one before.

2000 JD GT235 w/48C, PowerFlo, & 42" blade
2 105 lb. cast wheel weights
KCFLY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM   post #8 of 11
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Huh?? What really sucks is,,I just gave a refrigerator away to make room in the garage for my mowers and things. DOH!!! lol That would have worked great I believe.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:32 PM   post #9 of 11
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

I have never seen a thermo plug before,,,great idea too. I will getting a few as I have chickens and rabbits,,dogs and geese. I might need a case of them. I had been using timers,,thermo is way better.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:34 PM   post #10 of 11
Leon Renaud
MTF Member

MTF Member # 36314

An old fridge or freezer with a incandescent light bulb inside 60-100 watts will keep things nicely.I'd make a habit of cracking the door open during the time the shop is heated and close it before leaving.Having one of those sockets would be great as well.You just need to remove/bypass the door switch so the light stays on I had a fridge set up like this for several years I just unplugged the fridge motor in my case I got the fridge free because a lady punctured the freezer coil trying to rush defrosting with a knife !
Leon Renaud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 05:11 AM   post #11 of 11
flash5153
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 62748

Well I got another refrigerator for this reason. It's in my garage with everything I am storing ,,in it. The problem is getting a bulb in it without damaging it. This one works,,,,so I really don't want to ruin it.

It's a side by side refrigerator/ freezer. I was going to put the bulb on the refrigerator side. I don't see why I can't just drill a hole in the side wall of it,,,down low.I'm not concerned about looks just don't want to hit any working parts on the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.