STX38 Hood - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
trepkid
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61383
Garage
Default STX38 Hood

i just got an stx38 black deck the other day i have had a yellow deck for about 2 or 3 years and have loved it but the one i bought the other day the hood is broke at the hinges and i was wondering if there was anyway to repair the hood i have without having to get a new hood (cause they are not cheap even used) if you have any ideas please let me know i have a few ideas but in the end i figure if worse comes to worse i mess this one up and have to get a new one but if you have any ideas just let me know

i will post pics tomorrow of the hood but the bolt holes on the inside of the hood where the hinge is suppose to latch broke and i was thinking about just sanding them down and super gluing nuts there but it just doesnt seem like a good idea... i dont know just let me know what you think... thank you
trepkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
MXZRXP
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 48748
Default Re: STX38 Hood

(stx hood on ebay buy it now $110)

seeing as it is on the inside I would try a plastic welder.

They work well but not a pleasent looking finish... but seeing as your repair will be out of view I say give it a try.

cheapie: (glorified soldering iron)
http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic...ron-67102.html

this one works very well:
http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic...ure-96464.html

also an old chunk of the same material as the hood is best to use as opposed to supplied plastic "welding rods."

Propane HEAT (sweet!)

Blower in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dyoup-StaA
MXZRXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
trepkid
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61383
Garage

i will try the plastic welding iron tomorrow but how much plastic would i need to use cause what i am wondering is if i should just go get a broken hood cause i am sure i could pick one up for next to nothing, or could i discreetly get plastic off that hood? but i will try it tomorrow and see how it turns out... pass or fail i will post pics tomorrow but i am just trying to get it to where it protects the engine when it rains and i can mow the grass with out it falling off the mower... but your stx38 looks clean tho the pic is kind of small but from what i can see it looks GOOD! and thank you alot for you help
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
MXZRXP
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 48748

can't really say how much plastic you will need without actually seeing the repair but I bet a 2" x 2" piece would be enough...

I love the little STX!

Propane HEAT (sweet!)

Blower in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dyoup-StaA
MXZRXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
trepkid
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61383
Garage

ya that stx38 is beautiful... that is what i want my yellow deck to look like eventually. how long did it take you to rebuild it and make it look like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
trepkid
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61383
Garage

this lawn mower is never ending story... finally got the hood fixed and the plastic welds works great but now i have to find a hinge for it cause i didn't notice til i started looking at it but i i only have one on the the left side and i am pretty sure there is suppose to be one on the right side too but i guess i have to go visit John Deere tomorrow... but thanks again for your help. Though, i was wondering if i sand the plastic down and make it smooth cause if so i might use it on a crack on the hood sand it down and learn how to paint cause the lawn mower definitely needs a paint job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.