Briggs Vanguard 16hp charging issue please help - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 10-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961
Default Briggs Vanguard 16hp charging issue please help

I have had this White LT-16 lawn tractor for years (got it used) and have been nursing this same problem for the whole time (intermittant charging). It will charge only sometimes, and the amp meter will show a dis-charge most of the time, and other times it is at zero. It will not engage the electric PTO (blades) for probably the first 15 mins. after I initially cold start it and I actually have to drive it around the yard for a bit untill it will show a positive charge on the amp gauge. I can then engage the blades and cut the grass but the battery drains. I finally did a stator test and it showed good, so I checked the regulator and it showed intermittent power, so I replaced it with a new one. With the new reg., it ran perfectly for about a month and then started doing the same exact thing. It's driving me crazy. I am in the process of checking all the grounds again and now am thinking maybe a bad ground to the reg??? Diode??? Any thoughts or comments would be great.
Tractor39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961
Default Re: Briggs Vanguard 16hp charging issue please help

I have the volt. regulator that has the 3 wires coming out of it. A yellow, red, and then another yellow. The 2 yellows go to a plug that goes to the stator. The red has the diode in it and the plug and wire for it goes right to a seperate plug/connection on the ignition switch. Could the ignition switch have a bad connection? Seems I checked this a while back and it checked out good...
Old 10-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961

Has brand new decka glass mat battery...
Old 10-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
tjrunnion
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53746
Garage

Could be wrong here and if i am someone will correct me soon, the two yellow wires coming from the stator with the tractor running should read at least 20 volts ac ( i think ) the red wire coming out of your regulator should read somewhere around 14 volts dc with tractor running. if those check out it is probably the switch.
But i'm not a professional and i'm not completely familiar with that particular charging system so wait till someone else chimes in before replacing parts.
Tim
tjrunnion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961

Just checked it. AC volts check good out of yellow wires coming from stator. Hooked reg back up and checked red wire out of reg. and shows zero for DC volts at idle and full throttle. Changing back to new reg that I got when I first addressed issue (changed back to old reg when new one started showing same issue). Grounds show good. Company that I got new reg from sent me a new one when I told them the one they sent me was bad (great supplier) and I have a brand new one yet to hook up. Could this be the ignition though??? Hate to burn up a brand new regulator.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961

just hooked up the other reg and got the same result as the one in it. Zero volts DC output. Hooked the red wire back up while it was running and the thing died instantly. Short somewhere????
Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961

At least the old one will let it run when hooked up to the red wire.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961

Maybe I will hook up a seperate ground right to the reg to see if that will cure it. What a pain...
Old 10-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
tjrunnion
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53746
Garage

Is the body of the regulator grouned ? Will it start back up with the red hooked up ? If so start it and leave the wire hooked up and check DC volts, Make sure the body of the regulator is grounded good.
Tim
Old 10-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961

it's all dead with the current reg in it and dosen't start. I really hate to hook up the brand new reg and burn it up too. I'm gonna hook up a direct ground.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961

I checked impedence from the neg battery cable to the body of the reg. and it showed good. I'm gonna go out now and try not to screw anything up. I'll hook up the old reg and see if it will start. What in the heck with the red wire though and making it die??? Maybe I'll take the ign switch back off and test it again. Maybe also time to start looking at rebuilding the 72' Simplicity. It's a heck of a tractor.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
tjrunnion
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53746
Garage

Good luck, i have gave you all my knowledge on the charging system
I really thought somebody else would have chimed in by now.
Tim
Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrunnion View Post
Good luck, i have gave you all my knowledge on the charging system
I really thought somebody else would have chimed in by now.
Tim
Thanks for trying. I got tied up with the kid and playing xbox today. Gonna try again tomorrow. Finally got a bunch of rain here and the grass is growing fast and I need to get it squared away.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
tomw0
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 34922

If you have a charged battery, the ammeter should show zero amps, as it should not be charging the battery. After you start the engine, the regulator should be pushing juice back into the battery for a while, and the amps should be at their peak. As the engine runs, the amps should taper back to the middle of the meter, with barely a bit of 'charge' showing. The stator just puts out A/C current, so the yellow wires go + then - then + then - over and over. Which wire is connected to which end of the stator makes no difference. The red wire is the 'alternator' output that feeds the battery, and feeds the PTO electromagnet clutch with the engine running. The ammeter is placed in the circuit to indicate flow to-from the battery to only the accessory circuit, such as the PTO, and to the output from the stator. If the battery is supplying the PTO, it will show up as a discharge on the ammeter. If the alternator is supplying the PTO, and pushing any required extra juice into the batter, as in charging the battery, it will show as 'charge' on the ammeter.
If the battery has not been charged prior to use, it will draw as much juice as the regulator lets flow through, which may be an overload for the regulator. I am not sure of that, as I don't know its specs. The battery should be charged normally before use, and the regulator should allow enough current to run the PTO and re-charge the battery for next use.
If you poke around you should be able to find a wiring diagram. From the 'who makes what' page on this site, MTD makes the White mowers. If the diagram is similar to the other MTD models, the red wire from the battery is connected to a post on the starter relay, and a smaller gauge wire, with inline 30A fuse, is connected from the same post through the optional ammeter, and then to the ignition switch. Any and all power used is fed from the ignition switch.
tom
tomw0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
Tractor39
MTF Member

MTF Member # 65961

Thanks for that information. The battery is brand new and has a full charge. Before I got the new battery, the tractor wouldn't engage the PTO at all when running so I figured I needed to just get a new battery. My routine before was to put the battery on the charger between mows and it would last the length of the mowing (40 mins). The new battery has a full charge and the PTO would still not engage. It is a Decka glass mat battery and when I got it, I put it in my CB750F and it spun that engine like it didn't have plugs in it (supposed to be the best battery to buy), so I am sure the bat has enough juice. Going out to work on it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.