Time to buy! X500 or Conquest?? - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 AM   post #16 of 33
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24
Default Re: Time to buy! X500 or Conquest??

Yes the K72 is serviceable on the X500 The K72 on the X500 does not have a external filter though (external filter only on X530, X534 & X540) But a Internal filter this has Been pretty commonly used in many Deere Garden tractors without Hydraulic Lift But it does have a drain Plug item Number 26 & if You want a removable filter there is a Kit From Tuff-torq as well which fits In front of Item Number 30 & 31 Now there is a Kit available to convert that K-66L back into the same setup as the K-66AC with a internal filter or the K-66L can be set up with a drain Plug at a extra cost. All I have to say on this One There Goes Briggs changing a Proven system again slowly the quality that Simplicity once was in being eaten away
for example the current 46inch deck shell is Based on a Older Murray Deck design

K-72B used in X500

Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM   post #17 of 33
NoTime
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13621

I am somewhat under the impression the "serviceable" means the oil is easily changed.

Integrated hydros are all very complex. I am fairly sure you can buy replacement parts for a K66. I would ask the dealer if changing the oil is allowed under warranty. Is that a service they can perform?

(In higher-end equipment, there are seperate hydro pump, motor and transmission, and it is "easier" to rebuild 1 of the 3 components vs replacement.

The external filter would do more oil impurity filtering vs an internal filter that is mostly a screen for catching metal filings.

I am not hugely concerned with the k66 for your use, it is a bit overkill and that's a good thing.
NoTime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 02:30 PM   post #18 of 33
ezliving4ume
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 32166

IMO the conquest isn't in the same league as the X500 JD's, this is apples and oranges.

The comparison should be an X500 and the prestige or the X400 and the conquest. Is Simplicity really that over priced?

And there is no doubt that the simplicity will give a better cut, so much so that you will be hooked for life, I know i am.

The 9500, is a good buy at sears and its a prestige in black, looks nice! all simplicity attachments would fit, just a thought.
The LandLord
Why Purchase Simplicity:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...6380&highlight
ezliving4ume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 02:36 PM   post #19 of 33
Haulin' Daze
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 64220

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTime View Post
I am somewhat under the impression the "serviceable" means the oil is easily changed.

Integrated hydros are all very complex. I am fairly sure you can buy replacement parts for a K66. I would ask the dealer if changing the oil is allowed under warranty. Is that a service they can perform?

(In higher-end equipment, there are seperate hydro pump, motor and transmission, and it is "easier" to rebuild 1 of the 3 components vs replacement.

The external filter would do more oil impurity filtering vs an internal filter that is mostly a screen for catching metal filings.

I am not hugely concerned with the k66 for your use, it is a bit overkill and that's a good thing.
I agree that the k66 is probably perfectly fine, but I read a couple different guys on other forums talk about their k66 conquest junking out on them after a couple years. They were told $1200 for a new tranny, they are sealed and can't be opened to fix.

Now who knows if what I read is completly true. And if true, were they using it for much more than it's rated? Who knows.

Again, the hardest job I'll use it for is blowing snow. I just don't want to be "that guy" who has issues after 5 years and has to spend $2k or so for a new tranny.
Haulin' Daze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM   post #20 of 33
rubadub
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 36136

Another thing to consider is your age, if your older you might want to get something used with a heated cab, your wife would really like that also.

I was having a hard time with a Toro walk behind with me getting tired, and it was getting to be quite a job.

Now with a heated cab I can't wait for the snowstorms, winter is now a fun time.

Rob
Old 09-30-2011, 04:53 PM   post #21 of 33
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezliving4ume View Post
IMO the conquest isn't in the same league as the X500 JD's, this is apples and oranges.

The comparison should be an X500 and the prestige or the X400 and the conquest. Is Simplicity really that over priced?

And there is no doubt that the simplicity will give a better cut, so much so that you will be hooked for life, I know i am.

The 9500, is a good buy at sears and its a prestige in black, looks nice! all simplicity attachments would fit, just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin' Daze View Post
I agree that the k66 is probably perfectly fine, but I read a couple different guys on other forums talk about their k66 conquest junking out on them after a couple years. They were told $1200 for a new tranny, they are sealed and can't be opened to fix.

Now who knows if what I read is completly true. And if true, were they using it for much more than it's rated? Who knows.

Again, the hardest job I'll use it for is blowing snow. I just don't want to be "that guy" who has issues after 5 years and has to spend $2k or so for a new tranny.
Your comparing this a X400 series tractor to this a conquest.

ezliving4ume
Keep this In mind the Older X400 series is Just the 2WD versions of the Current X700 series Models The X485 Pictured is Basically the Same as the Current X720 model If the X485 were All Wheel Steer it would be basically the same as a Current X724. A Conquest or even a Prestige does Not compare to a X400 series a Legacy XL in 2WD does compare to a X465, X475, X485 or X495 and For what would be considered the Super Garden tractors Today Your Only Real Choices would Be the Deere X700 or Legacy XL series No other Brand comes Close to these two brands, Kubota & Cub Cadet came close at one time But Both Cub & Kubota Did away with there Hydraulic lift Garden tractors The Current Kubota GR series is Really a Lawn tractor On steroids Though it has AWD and shaft driven Front Implements itís Not a Garden tractor so No other Brand come Close to the Deere X700 or Legacy XL series in this Type of Garden tractor Unless You go Up to Subcompact Tractors.

Haulin' Daze
As Far as the K-66L There are two Kit available to make the Transmission serviceable But Your Dealer would have to contact Tuff-Torq To get them Both Kits are Mentioned In the Parts Manuals for the Conquest's with the K66L they Just don't Give a Internal Simplicity Part Number Just a Item Number. The tractor Manufacturer is calling it sealed But If You contact Tuff-Torq who actually Produces the transmission even the trans That are considered sealed Can Be worked on and Rebuilt itís Just the average owner Probably canít or doesnít want to do it themselves and it may Be cheaper on Labor Costs to just replace the transmission. That said the Only Conquest I would consider if I were You is the Top of the Line Conquest where You can charge the fluid Yourself with out Having to buy a Kit to Make it that way

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 PM   post #22 of 33
TurtleBoy
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 49620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
Your comparing this ... a X400 series tractor to this ... a conquest.
I took it as he made a typo and he meant an X3xx.
1918 Hoyt Clagwell

TurtleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 PM   post #23 of 33
mbrun
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 57036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
....if You want a removable filter there is a Kit From Tuff-torq as well which fits In front of Item Number 30 & 31...

Sergeant,

I contacted tech support at Tuff Torq back in March 2011 to ask about installing the externally accessible filter on the K72B. Derrick in tech support said that the internal charge pump that is used in K72B is not setup to accept the filter. I seem recall reading elsewhere too that the filter will infact fit but no fluid will every get pumped through it. The charge pump would have to be upgraded.

~~~~~~~ 2010 JD x500 ~~~~~~~~
..Brush Guard, 48" Snow Blade, Electric Blade Lift
..Custom Blade Squeegee & Dollie
..P796 Halogens
..JP Electric Sleeve Hitch
..RimGuard Loaded Tires (+92lbs extra, each)
..DR Power Grader
..Dual 50lb Wheel Weights, Chains
..PrecisionFit/Agri-Fab 45-0299 48" Core Aerator
..Brinly Aerator/Seeder, Moldboard Plow,
..Box Scraper, Dethatcher (On Loan)
..Craftsman 48" x 18" Roller
..Brinly 25-Gallon Tank Sprayer
mbrun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 08:51 PM   post #24 of 33
Haulin' Daze
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 64220

So besides the tranny (advantage Deere), is there anything else I should be looking at? Simplicity package is a little cheaper. Both have diff lock. Both are 2 stage blowers. Anything I'm missing?
Haulin' Daze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 PM   post #25 of 33
wizzo
MTF Tractor Nut

MTF Member # 32657

I've got an X500 and I can't imagine the equivalent Simplicity being any better than it. Go drive them both and see which one you like better for sound, ease of operation, controls/layout, etc. I don't have a blower, but I seem to think the worst thing about the Deere one is the plastic chute if you have a gravel driveway.
  • 48" Front Blade, Wheel Weights & Suitcase Weights
  • 30" Mechanical Tiller
1994 John Deere 14SB
2000 John Deere JX75

Stihl KM 90R Kombi System
2005 Lawn Boy 10684 Insight Mower
wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 09:55 PM   post #26 of 33
Vangellis
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 442

My Conquest is a 2005 20/44 and is in it's 7th cutting season. I have been doing my yard and the neighbors yard and field which comprises about 5 acres. I also cut firewood and haul quite a bit with it. Best investment I ever made, but it was only $4000 in 2005. It has 470 hours on it now and no problems with the K66 tranny. Still runs strong.

Hauling firewood uphill out of the woods.

Coming out of the woods.

I have a Toro walk behind blower for the snow, but the Conquest with the blade is a nice back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdHEIDDvBo4

Your looking at both good machines. Just showing you what I have.

Kevin
Vangellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 PM   post #27 of 33
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrun View Post
Sergeant,

I contacted tech support at Tuff Torq back in March 2011 to ask about installing the externally accessible filter on the K72B. Derrick in tech support said that the internal charge pump that is used in K72B is not setup to accept the filter. I seem recall reading elsewhere too that the filter will infact fit but no fluid will every get pumped through it. The charge pump would have to be upgraded.
I just put out there is a filter Kit weather it works or Not who Knows But they do make a Kit regardless

Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM   post #28 of 33
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangellis View Post
My Conquest is a 2005 20/44 and is in it's 7th cutting season. I have been doing my yard and the neighbors yard and field which comprises about 5 acres. I also cut firewood and haul quite a bit with it. Best investment I ever made, but it was only $4000 in 2005. It has 470 hours on it now and no problems with the K66 tranny. Still runs strong.

Hauling firewood uphill out of the woods.

Coming out of the woods.

I have a Toro walk behind blower for the snow, but the Conquest with the blade is a nice back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdHEIDDvBo4

Your looking at both good machines. Just showing you what I have.

Kevin
You have the K66AC trans which has a Oil drain & a Internal filter that was standard where the K66L it is not standard equipment Until they changed the trans I would have said the Conquest is Probably the Better Buy for His Intended Purpose Because the Conquest is a Lawn tractor first & a Garden tractor 2nd hence the name Yard Tractor over the Deere X500 The Current Top of the Line Conquest with Power steering has a serviceable K66L I just suggest to HD if He goes with one of the other conquest in the Line Just have his dealer Order this Part Number 1A632099320 DRAIN BOLT KIT from Tuff-torq and Install it $1.37 for the Kit

Last edited by Sergeant; 09-30-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 AM   post #29 of 33
ropari
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 253

I did not read every post, so this may have been mentioned, but before I spent the kind of money you are looking to spend to mow and blow snow, I'd check out some NICE used GT's. They are around, and you could get more outfit, for much less.
ropari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 PM   post #30 of 33
eal51
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45447

I purchased a Conquest in 05 based on recommendations from posters on another board and my son's father-in-law. It was priced lower than the comparable Deere at the time. The cut was exceptional and it handled snowblowing my 1,100 foot driveway with no problem. It handled very well in all weather and was comfortable to ride.

However, at 97 hours the tranny started leaking and needed to be replace at a cost of $1,500.00. I also had the ignition switch replaced once, two seat switches and one battery. The battery I was okay with since it was after 3 years of use but the other repairs I believe should not have happened.

I sold the unit and now have a Deere X540. I have had the X540 for a year and am very happy with its performance. Fine in all weather and runs up and down my hills with no problem at all. Very comfortable ride and excellent handling. I have the power steering/ tilt wheel and hydraulics for the deck.

So I would say go with the Deere, maybe the X530 if you can swing it.

2010 X540
48" deck with mulcher
eal51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.