445 Fuel Filter--Is There An Easy Way To Install? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
bridgeman
John Deere 445

MTF Member # 60810
Default 445 Fuel Filter--Is There An Easy Way To Install?

After 280 hours, I'm finally getting around to installing a new fuel filter on the 445. Dealer where I bought the filter said it's located under the floorboard, next to the frame. I groped around a few times, and haven't found it yet. Murky picture and "explanation" in the owner's manual says to take off the right side engine cover to loosen the pressure-relief bolt, but I haven't found the filter (or the bolt) there either.

Have any other owners replaced theirs yet? Is there a quick (and easiest) way to do so? Do I have to remove the mower or rear wheel to get to (or at least, find) the filter? Or somehow turn the darn thing completely upside down? I'm rapidly approaching old geezerhood, and the knees don't bend well anymore.

Don't like to come across as a complete klutz, but I'm definitely in the running.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Jere39
Have Dog - Will Travel

MTF Member # 47088
Default Re: 445 Fuel Filter--Is There An Easy Way To Install?

I changed mine a couple years ago, and had no problem at all. I may have removed the snap on side panel, I often did that during any maintenance, including oil and filter changes. The filter was easy to find, and easy to change. It is possible that JD relocated the filter at some point in the build cycle. My 445 was a 1996 model. Unfortunately, I no longer have the tractor or I'd hop out and take a quick picture for you. There are plenty 445 represented by members here, you should get a picture soon.

Don;t give up, but you might want to invest in one of those rolling auto mechanic stools. I don't think even young knees appreciate too much concrete time.
Jere39 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
andyb
Diesel Power

MTF Member # 32157
Garage

When I bought my 445 used (a '94 model), I replaced all the fluids and filters except the fuel filter. The dealer told me it was such a pain to get to that they didn't recommend changing it as long as it ran OK. It's not like an oil filter that has a bypass if it gets plugged, it just quits running from the lack of fuel. I had it for 9 years and never did change it, always careful to keep the fuel clean though.
54" blade
62" deck
284.4 hours and counting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1dzMX49NC0

1994 John Deere 445 sold
andyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
jwill1776
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33215

I have a 425 and was going to tell you its easy, then I looked up the 445 diagram……

JD doesn’t even list a procedure in the tech manual for the 445 fuel filter, I’d guess take the seat pan off, unhook the fuel tank / remove it, and you “should” be able to see it on the inside of the frame rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F 445.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	175173  
Brinly 12" Single Bottom Plow
Brinly 60" Rear Blade
jwill1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
bridgeman
John Deere 445

MTF Member # 60810

Thanx for the replies, guys. My 445's filter is not reachable or visible from the open right side panel. Since Johnny has always run like gang-busters (never spits or stalls, just goes zoom, gotta love fuel injection), my plan is to wait until I drop the mower deck this winter, then hoist the tractor's back end up in the air with a floor jack so I can get my fat gut under the thing. Removing/replacing the seat and floor panel is an option I hope to avoid, as it would surely take me the better part of a weekend.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
tbear9686
Scott S

MTF Member # 55090

Judging from where mine is located, it is realy not that hrd to change. do not be worried about removing the rear fender pan it is not that hard, then the filter is right where it is easy to get to, plus you don't have to lay under the filter that will leak fuel when you disconnect it. good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
rcdebeau
MTF Member

MTF Member # 46314

Check out this thread that I started a few months back on the same topic. I did have to take the mower deck off, but once I did that I was able to get under my tractor and find the fuel filter quite easily. 30 minutes later and the new filter was installed and everything back together. I did not have to remove the the fender or anything else for that matter. I did have a bit of fuel that leaked out while swapping filters, but nothing much that a couple rags couldn't handle.
Good luck!

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=186953
rcdebeau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Dunkelstar
Deere Guru

MTF Member # 52637

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill1776 View Post
I have a 425 and was going to tell you its easy, then I looked up the 445 diagram……

JD doesn’t even list a procedure in the tech manual for the 445 fuel filter, I’d guess take the seat pan off, unhook the fuel tank / remove it, and you “should” be able to see it on the inside of the frame rail.
Seems odd JD placed the filter there on the 445.

The 425 is a breeze to change by removing the right side panel, why not locate it on the 445 in the same place?

#40 Loader, 54 and 48" MMM Deck, 46" Snow-Thrower, 54" Front Blade, Agri-Fab 3PT Core Aerator, Agri-Fab Chip-n-Vac, and #80 Cart
Dunkelstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Engine_Tech
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 46741

The 445 filter is a high-pressure filter and is a lot bigger than the 425 filter so it's back there.

Be sure to bleed the pressure off the system with via the release screw on the throttle body. Turn it open a couple turns so the pressure goes into the return line, then snug it back up. That will take the pressure off the system.
Engine_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Wfburton159
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37906

Let the pressure out of the system. Pull the deck off the tractor. Get on a creeper and get under it and change out the filter. Its right on the inside of the frame. Its way easier to drop the deck than pull the fender pan unless you have someone to help lift the fender pan off and on.

John Deere 445
60" Mid Mount Mower
Model 51 broom (For Sale)
Converted model 50 snowthrower with long chute
Custom 52" quick tach front blade
Modified foam filled turfs off a 400 (183# each)
75# wheel weights and chains
Hard sided cab with the works
John Deere 40" Front Mount Thatcher w/hydraulic lift
Wfburton159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.