Ford Industrial 3500 Tractor - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 PM   post #1 of 20
Lonesome Moose
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 65074
Help Ford Industrial 3500 Tractor

Here's my first post and it is a cry for help already so I can get parts/manual... that will help me getter goin' or decide to bail on the project.

Here's what I have seen/know about the tractor:

Select-o-Speed transmission with 8/10 (tractor at the neighbours,so not sure)fwd and 2 reverese gears with Park and Neutral

540 and 1000 rpm PTO

3 cylinder gas engine

some of the embossed information:

?-20-66

C5NE6015

C5NN-4024-d

C5NN7006-k

If anyone can decipher some of this to identify the exact year of this machine,that would be great.

Beyond that,what type of a manual(s) do I need and from whom do I get it(them) from?

Thx
Lonesome Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 06:41 AM   post #2 of 20
donimbimbo
1981 Ford 1100 4WD

MTF Member # 18958
Default Re: Ford Industrial 3500 Tractor

This should really be moved to the "big tractor" Ford forum. Right now it's under garden tractors.
Subaru Forester 2014 (Wife's car)
Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre 2000 (being restored)
donimbimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 07:08 AM   post #3 of 20
Kirk-NJ
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 9444

It should be a ten speed with 2R. A DDC (the better SOS). Might be a '66 I think the other numbers are casting codes. I not up on the '65 and up 3cyl stuff. Post in the big boy farm tractor ford section.
A word of caution. If it's in park you can't try to move it without disconnecting the disconnect lever. If not disconnected you may cause damage to the tranny. My 671 SOS lever is on the hydraulic round side cover. I'm not sure where the '65 and ups are. Post it the ford section. A couple of guys there have the later models.

Kirk
Kirk-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 AM   post #4 of 20
Steve (Magnolia, TX)
Retired - Veteran Mod

MTF Member # 251
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donimbimbo View Post
This should really be moved to the "big tractor" Ford forum. Right now it's under garden tractors.

Done.

Carry on...
Steve (Magnolia, TX) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 AM   post #5 of 20
Lonesome Moose
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 65074

Thx for the heads up.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:37 PM   post #6 of 20
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566

Welcome from another Select-O-Speed owner.

The Select-O-Speed (S-O-S) was only ever a 10 forward speed and 2 reverse speed transmission. They changed to the Direct Drive Clutch in the later 601/801 series time frame, before they even started making the 4 cylinder 1000 series, so all of the 3 cylinder models have the DDC (Direct Drive Clutch) model. Those transmissions are pretty bullet proof if they are maintained properly.

Most of the numbers that you posted, the ones starting with C5N are all casting codes so they won't tell us much other than some basic info, like it's from the '65 to '75 "thousand" series, which included models like the 2000, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, etc. Even that number ending in -66, if it raised up like those other cast numbers only tells us when that particular casting was made, and they may have used that cast to make the same part for years after that.

The numbers that tell us exactly what it really is and when it was made should be stamped (not raised up like the casting numbers you already posted) into the flat spot that is facing up on the transmission bell housing just toward the rear of the tractor from the starter. There should be 3 numbers there, 2 of them should be on the ground down flat part, and the third number is usually just off of the flat part on the rougher part of the casting. If it is a 3500 gas with S-O-S and dual 540/1000 rpm PTO, then the model number stamped there should be either 35025E or C5025E depending on when it was made. If it was made between 1965 and early 1968 it should start with a 3 and if it was made between late 1968 and 1975 it should start with a C. One of the other numbers stamped in the same area is the serial number that should start with an A, B or C followed by a 6 digit number, and the other is the production code that will be 4 or 5 characters long starting with a number, then a letter, then a 1 or 2 digit number followed at the end with a letter. If you're lucky, they'll still be a silver colored foil sticker on the under side of the right half of the hood that has the same numbers on it, plus a few others. Let us know what you find.

You can find Ford Operators manual for your tractor on ebay, or from some tractor related web sites, like yesterdays tractors. For the service manual, if you only plan to do basic things, including changing all of the fluids and filters, and adjusting the transmission bands, you can buy the I&T manual, but if you plan to do anything more than that yourself, you're better off getting the real Ford service manual, also available at yesterdays tractors and other sites.
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304
2014 Kubota BX25D w/50" snow blower

You know you might be a Nouveau Redneck if...
1. You use the cup holder on your tractor to hold your cosmopolitan instead of a beer
2. Your "Santa on a tractor" Christmas yard decoration is actually a high tech digital hologram.
3. Your deer camp cuisine is better than most 3 star restaurants.
Nouveau Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 PM   post #7 of 20
Lonesome Moose
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 65074

Thx,Just got home and will go to the neighbours place once looking after the ZOO and look for those places you indicated would reveal some information.
No foil on the underside of the cowling/hood,that's the first place I looked.
I too would consider myelf a Nouveau Redneck since I came from the city 16 years ago to the country and wished I'd done it 40 years ago.Love my animals and tolerate people.
I also have an R40 Ditch Witch with a trencher on the back and backhoe and blade on the front.What a versatile machine.Anyway,I digress.
The reason to nail down the year is to get a manual that will give me photos of the area where the carb/dist/coil are,so I can figure out what is missing.I am sure there are parts missing.Maybe if I can post some pics,someone can do a quick assessment/diagnosis on what might be missing.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 PM   post #8 of 20
Lonesome Moose
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 65074

The ONLY thing I could find on that flat spot was a -3 ( and depending on the light it looks like a G )followed by another # that might be a 6?
Rusted and/or greasy in behind the starter and also the loader frame doesn't help either.
Need more time and LIGHT to see any more.Will bring some degreaser and a magnifying glass and super strong light next time.
Mosquitoes eating me alive.
So do you think with just that 3 it is between 65-68 ?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:35 PM   post #9 of 20
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566

If that 3 was the start of the model number, and it's a 3500, then the next number should be a 5. It could be the beginning of the production code, which would mean that it's a 1973 model, but it's way too little information to go on. The 2000/3000/4000 series tractors all had louvers down the sides of the hoods from 1965 to late 1968, and then they had smooth side hoods from late 1968 onwards.

Here's a '65-'68 early louvered hood. Notice how the decal is only on the side of the dashboard tin:

and here's a later one with the smooth sides on the hood. Notice how the decal goes the ful length of the hood:

The carb/distributor/coil area was pretty much the same for the entire production run from 1965 through 1975, but since you don't know what you really have, it's definitely a good idea to figure out what it really is.
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304
2014 Kubota BX25D w/50" snow blower

You know you might be a Nouveau Redneck if...
1. You use the cup holder on your tractor to hold your cosmopolitan instead of a beer
2. Your "Santa on a tractor" Christmas yard decoration is actually a high tech digital hologram.
3. Your deer camp cuisine is better than most 3 star restaurants.
Nouveau Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM   post #10 of 20
Lonesome Moose
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 65074

After clearing the grease build up here is what I got.

Top line_________?-G-6-3-?
5-G-6-3-1
5-G-6-3-F

Middle Line______34024E

Bottom Line_____C147000 6H23

These are as complete as I can get without getting mirrors and paint remover lol

The hood does have the louvers.

The color as I have mentioned before is a creamy yellow.

As far as the decals go:

"Ford"on the dashboard side.

"Ford Industrial" along the hood..

"Ford" on the arm of horizontal arm of the loader.

"3500" just in behind the radiator on the side of the body.

Then there is a 3 on the vertical arm of the loader.The vertical arm that you would grab onto as you would ascend on the left side to get into the tractor seat.I think this was done after market,but not sure.

Have photos.Will post when I figure out how.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 AM   post #11 of 20
Ecnerwal
Not a restorer

MTF Member # 47854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome Moose View Post
Top line_________?-G-6-3-?
5-G-6-3-1
5-G-6-3-F

Middle Line______34024E

Bottom Line_____C147000 6H23
?-G-6-3-? Danged if I know. Bring the paint remover, mirror and light (and mosquito repellent - we've had a huge hatch after all the flooding from the tropical storms over this way.) The digital camera can be a good way to deal with the loader frame, if it takes macro-mode photos. Put it where you can't fit your head. 5G6B could be 1965 July 6 day shift.

34024E = 3 = 3000 series ('65-3/'68) 40 = Utility 2= Gas 4 = Independent 540 PTO E = Select-o-speed

Which is a 3400 number, not a 3500 number - the 3500 should be 35024E for the same setup...Tin may have been swapped.

It also has the 4 in the PTO position, where what you've described should have a 5 or 6.

C147000 - presumably serial number. I don't know or have a reference for the right ranges for various years. Others do.

6H23 = 1966 August 23 - but missing a shift letter (A, B or C at the end)

Last edited by Ecnerwal; 09-16-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Ecnerwal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 AM   post #12 of 20
Lonesome Moose
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 65074

Thx for the deciphering and the suggestions.I did try with macro and it only proved that I had to remove the paint.In the end the first number of the Model is so close to the curved edge before it flattens out..that it is truely illegible
Guess it was built on a Friday afternoon lol

I was wondering about the hood swap too considering it is around 45-46 years old so anything can happen over time and a variety of owners.

6H23 Then that makes it a '66 and the top line Model has a 6 in it too so I can safely assume it is a '65 thru 3/68 and get info/parts... for that year.

As a side note..my friend and I finally got a spark out of the old girl and a little puff of smoke and beltch out the exhaust.Very positive and exciting.Maybe dull in your world but just one step closer to acquiring a little gas powered help.

Now the forensics begins to figure out what is missing to get the carb and fuel lines hooked up.I tried to download and copy an exploded view of the carb from the New Holland site onto my computer but something they have blocks that luxury.

From everyones experience is the old school paper service/parts manuals the way to go or do pdf and have it on my computer???
I do not have a printer.

Don't want to spend a bundle until I know I'm going to buy/keep it but need to have some guidance to figure things out.

Ideas ?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:16 AM   post #13 of 20
Ecnerwal
Not a restorer

MTF Member # 47854

Spark and smoke is really good news. Nearly there, perhaps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome Moose View Post
From everyones experience is the old school paper service/parts manuals the way to go or do pdf and have it on my computer???
I can't really say. I have the new holland reprint of the ford '65-75 thousand series service manual set, which I thought was a poor deal (once I had it in hand) at ~$200 - they now seem to want $750 or something crazy like that for it. 25 Parts in 5 volumes, but seriously lacking in useful information sometimes, and a lot of "try to figure out how a super major (whatever the heck that is) relates to your thousand series in the manual set that's supposed to be all about the thousand series, fer crying out loud...plus lot of look here, but then go get that piece about this tractor there, and then there's another detail hidden off in this section...maddening.

Evidently there are a variety of cheaper options on auction sites and tractor sites, but I have no direct experience with those. I'm not convinced that the bound reprint set I have is really the same as the 3-ring binder service manuals actually used in the shops, but it's what there is, new. Especially at the last price I saw for it, I can't whole-heartedly recommend it.

If a PDF manual is a lot cheaper for you, buy a cheap (under $100) laser printer and print what you need from it, quite possibly for less than a paper manual would cost you. Don't try that with an inkjet, the cost to print will make it a losing proposition.

As for the NH parts diagrams, if you have the computer, you can just look up their site. Though I just tried and was able to copy a diagram and save to my computer, so I don't know what's blocking you. Try something like "open image in new window" when you've clicked on the drawing first to see if that helps any, or try a different web browser.

Also, if you were to get that cheap printer, they have a button on the top to "view printable diagram and parts list". Note that you should start from CNH Construction rather than Agriculture for the utility tractors, though it probably ends up the same place in the end.

Last edited by Ecnerwal; 09-16-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Ecnerwal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 01:52 PM   post #14 of 20
donimbimbo
1981 Ford 1100 4WD

MTF Member # 18958

Another option for printing. If you get a PDF for the service manual, around here we have Office Supply stores that will print a PDF from a memory stick. Just take the stick to the store and tell them what pages you want printed. Here it runs about $0.20 per page for Black and White.
Subaru Forester 2014 (Wife's car)
Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre 2000 (being restored)
donimbimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 02:43 PM   post #15 of 20
Lonesome Moose
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 65074

I did save a carb exploded view from NH on my computer.Then the idea was to send it to my workplace thru e-mail and print off a page.As an attachment it would open on the other end,came up with an error ie non printable.

So.....I have it on my computer and can get a printer(laser)which is long overdue since my inkjet cartridges cost a lot of $$$$,I guess back to school has some advantages for non student applications because I am sure there are some deals out there right now.

As far as the manuals are concerned,I did and do have the concerns about choosing the right one that helps me the most.Thx for the heads up on first hand experience with that.Confirms my suspiscions.

I'll stick to the NH blow ups for now and get a printer. Until I get a better feel for what to get/do.

And yes ....the puff is a good sign.Just have to spend time among all the winterizing duties and figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.