What did i just buy? New Holland LS55H - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM   post #1 of 34
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage
Default What did i just buy? New Holland LS55H

just picked up a New Holland LS55H this morning and from what little i can find searching, sounds like its a toro in disguise.

its seen better days, needs a couple small parts replaced and the trans belt is missing. I don't know how old it is and do not know if it runs yet. they said it did, but the battery is dead. has the 20hp kolher command. looks like it could be a really nice machine, definitely a lot newer then my 1971 JD 112. has cruise control too

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	173277   Click image for larger version

Name:	new2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	173278   Click image for larger version

Name:	new3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	173279   Click image for larger version

Name:	new4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	173280  

building a steerable yard cart --- New video post #53

1971 John Deere 112--2000 New Holland LS55H
1985 John Deere 112L
tranks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM   post #2 of 34
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24
Default Re: What did i just buy? New Holland LS55H

Its base on the Toro/Wheelhorse 260 series Yard Tractors. It could take a Tiller, Dozer Blade and Snow Blower But it wasn't really Up to using a sleeve Hitch Per Say. Avaliable with Manaul or electric Lift
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 PM   post #3 of 34
mowerbeast
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 63453

Looks like a Toro, judging by the tag late 90's. Good engine too.
mowerbeast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM   post #4 of 34
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage

thanks for the replies.

I sent toro an email asking for help. i mention that it was made by toro for new holland and is the same as the 260 series. also included serial and model numbers. hopefully they can help out a bit.

cleaned up pretty good. found some broken/worn out/cobble job parts but nothing big. pulled the battery out to charge on the bench. i think it might be done for.

it does have the electric lift
seen in the second pic.

haven't even driven it yet and i'm loving the foot operated hydro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new5.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	173285   Click image for larger version

Name:	new6.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	173286   Click image for larger version

Name:	clean1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	173287  

1985 John Deere 112L
Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 PM   post #5 of 34
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

If Your Looking for manuals On it Go to https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/...uct_center/225

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM   post #6 of 34
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage

hmmm.... the component number works and it pulls up some info on it but there are no accessories, manuals, parts, details, or specs "found". so its in there system but not really.

i did sift through 40 pages of searches out of 81. i did an advanced search for riding products with the Kohler engine. i'll keep on cruising along with that for now i guess. that does narrow the search to the year 2000 though. so i'm makin progress!

1985 John Deere 112L

Last edited by tranks; 09-07-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM   post #7 of 34
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage

ok, looks like the 270-H has all the same options, right down to the hour meter, cruise control, and electric lift.

am i safe to say its a 2000 Toro 270-H or am i missing something?
there is a 270-HE model. i'll have to figure out what the difference is.

1985 John Deere 112L
Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 PM   post #8 of 34
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

That's about right a 270H which was part of the 260 series The New Holland MY tractors were Base onthe Toro/WheelHorse 400XT series

Old 09-07-2011, 06:59 PM   post #9 of 34
Walt
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33753

Good luck with it!

Used parts are hard to find and new one's are worth their weight in gold from the dealer. If you want to see prices on all the parts, go to messicks.com, click on 'New Holland Agriculture' button and type in 'ls55' in the field for model number.

1996 New Holland LS55 [] 42" snowblower [] 48" deck [] Johnny Products sleeve hitch - SOLD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 12:34 AM   post #10 of 34
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage

Thanks for the website. Should be a big help. How do you like yours so far? Any problems?

I was hoping parts won't be too hard to find with this one. My other tractors, brand new parts are almost unheard of and its difficult to find used ones.

How do you figure out what year it is? I'd like to confirm the year on mine before i start ordering parts.

1985 John Deere 112L
Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 AM   post #11 of 34
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

Earlier years of 260 series came with a Tuff Torque K60 or K61 transaxle. Later model 260 series had a different brand transaxle, I think they were Hydro Gear brand. I think the changeover was in the late 90s. They steer very very sharp, almost as much as a Toro Groundsmaster. When steering has play in it you can tighten that in a tough spot to get to under the battery. They sold front blades, single stage snowblowers, tiller and a few other attachments. Decks are: 38", 48" or 52". 52" for newer and larger HP models. Replacing the transaxle belt is not too hard. I did one with my first 266-H up on the ramps on the tailgate of my truck. Try and route the belt "through" front to back or back to front and try avoiding unbolting things you don't have to. If yours won't start check for bad interlock switches. Neither of my 266-H will start right now. If you wander on ebay there are dealers out east that now and then list new in the box Toro or New Holland decks for these tractors. Look around more in this Toro/Wheel Horse section and the 260 series come up on a regular basis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU Pictured:79 Mustang Indy Pace car 5.0 4sp I sold in 1990. All Toro: 520xi, 2x 266-H. Parting out Toro 117 Groundsmaster & WH C-175. Looking for buyers for 48" deck & bagger from a Toro 522xi that I am buying.
Boyd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM   post #12 of 34
Walt
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33753

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranks View Post
Thanks for the website. Should be a big help. How do you like yours so far? Any problems?

I was hoping parts won't be too hard to find with this one. My other tractors, brand new parts are almost unheard of and its difficult to find used ones.

How do you figure out what year it is? I'd like to confirm the year on mine before i start ordering parts.

Like all tractors, problems arise. I'm getting braver with a wrench and sites like these help alot.

One item to look out for:

Keep an eye on the mower deck suspension assembly. There are 2 round "bearings" on the mower deck, the deck suspension slides into. From the constant up-and-down motion my rough yard causes, those 2 bearings wear through and start cutting into the suspension assembly. I've already replaced both the deck and suspension items once (easy to install- VERY expensive parts) and it started again this year before I replaced those bearings (only took a year for them to wear out).

Parts are easy to find..... at the Dealer. The dealer I go to knows me by my first name. I have a permanent search set up on eBay for New Holland items and I get an email update daily. The reason is that I will buy items I know will wear or need eventual replacing. I have an extra set of tie rods and a steering assembly in my garage for 2 years now. Due to the unpopularity of these tractors, pickings are slim. If you need blades, do not buy New Holland ($77). Search for the OEM Toro blades. They are 1/2 the price.

Good luck with everything

1996 New Holland LS55 [] 42" snowblower [] 48" deck [] Johnny Products sleeve hitch - SOLD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 AM   post #13 of 34
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage

Thanks Boyd, I'll have to crawl under it and check things out. I'm planning on pulling the deck off so I can clean all the dirt off it and also to grease everything.

How many interlock switches are there and where?

I was looking at the battery last night and it looks like it may of been fully charged. So I was starting to think maybe the starter was bad but I forgot about the extra switches on these newer machines.

1985 John Deere 112L
Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM   post #14 of 34
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Like all tractors, problems arise. I'm getting braver with a wrench and sites like these help alot.

One item to look out for:

Keep an eye on the mower deck suspension assembly. There are 2 round "bearings" on the mower deck, the deck suspension slides into. From the constant up-and-down motion my rough yard causes, those 2 bearings wear through and start cutting into the suspension assembly. I've already replaced both the deck and suspension items once (easy to install- VERY expensive parts) and it started again this year before I replaced those bearings (only took a year for them to wear out).

Parts are easy to find..... at the Dealer. The dealer I go to knows me by my first name. I have a permanent search set up on eBay for New Holland items and I get an email update daily. The reason is that I will buy items I know will wear or need eventual replacing. I have an extra set of tie rods and a steering assembly in my garage for 2 years now. Due to the unpopularity of these tractors, pickings are slim. If you need blades, do not buy New Holland ($77). Search for the OEM Toro blades. They are 1/2 the price.

Good luck with everything

I bet my deck has that problem, things look fairly worn under there.

I do need a new left side tie rod. the last guy welded a nut on and drilled through the ball joint to put a normal bolt through. usually i just go to http://www.mcmaster.com/# to order ball joints (I think it was less then $40 for the 6 I replaced on my 112) but looks like the cobble job is going to cost more money to fix then the original problem.

1985 John Deere 112L

Last edited by tranks; 09-08-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 PM   post #15 of 34
tranks
Professional amateur!

MTF Member # 36078
Garage

i've been working on the powerlift linkage today, a couple arms/brackets were disconnected and the parts manual really helped me figure out the proper locations.

i tried starting it and one of the interlock switches is holding it up. i tried jumping the soleniod terminals just to see if the starter worked, and it does. i noticed the parking brake switch connector is pretty brittle. must of over heated a few times. i may just jump that one.

the parts catalog and service manual really help out when trying to hook things back up correctly.

https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/...ualsResultPage
(for the manuals, select the manuals button at the bottom. mine has 9 manuals available)

1985 John Deere 112L

Last edited by tranks; 09-08-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.