My Tractor Forum banner

1949 Ridemaster Finally Done

8K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  JDW 
#1 ·
I picked this ridemaster up from jdcrawler about 2 years ago. It's been my winter project for the last couple years. It's been completely dismantled & sand blasted before painting. I was done with it this past winter, but I didn't have a tank for it. Finally got my hands on a good tank and finished it off. I had never seen one in person until I went to look at this one to possibly buy it. Wow, what a ride. The kids and I didn't want to stop riding it around the yard as my wife looked on with that strange look.

Ray, Thanks for all the input & knowledge, it's been a big help having someone to contact with questions!!!

Jeff

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That looks great, Jeff.
You did an excellent job on restoring it.

Hope to see it at Scottville and Buckley next year.

#7 ·
Couple pics of the AKM engine, it's not the original engine but looks almost the same. Kind of cool because it has it's own recoil start instead of pull start with a cord. I haven't found to much info on this series, did find an original engine manual. The AKM is considered a marine engine.

Attachments

#10 ·
Sweeet!! Very nice job.

#13 ·
Great restore job, you got to be proud of that. I also like the selection of the new type of engine.

#14 · (Edited)
that looks alsome!!!! i want one but people want a arm and leg for one here!!!!! its not like i have tooo many gt's or anything... a 13th will be the last i promise.. NOT:trink39:

#15 ·
Really nice restore you have done Jeff.

Don't know if you've seen this site on Wisconsin engines but I've found it an interesting read.

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=256080&ck=

Couldn't read the serial number on your engine but you may be able to discover approximately when it was made.

Mike

#16 ·
I love the looks of that Ridemaster great job.

#17 ·
Thanks Mike, I checked out that site. Looks like it's probably from 1952 looking at the serial numbers. They don't specify AKM anywhere, but I would imagine all the Wisconsin engines were numbered in order by serial number regardless of the engine type.

#19 ·
As Ray said, the prefix and suffix letters of the various engines are noted on that site.

My understanding of the serial numbers is as you have suggested. Also I was told the rate of production was reasonably constant thru the year at the engine plant. With this information, IF it's accurate, a person could figure in which month the engine was produced. Or at least when the data plate was stamped.

Mike

#18 ·
Jeff
You can find the referance on marine engines in the section on "Engine Nomenclature / Deciphering the letters & numbers" in that same site.
It's down in the 5th paragraph.

This is how I originally figured out that the engine was built for marine use.

#23 ·
Thanks again, I forgot I never did a thread on the complete restoration so here are some more pics of everything in pieces after being painted.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.