My Tractor Forum banner

Mtd 990????

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Dan123 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a Mtd 990, (I think) Its been painted and all badges and tags are missing, it has a 16 h.p. briggs and stratton 320427-0147-01-7101261

I believe its a 71 if I read the code right, but I dont know if thats the original motor.

My question is about the engine, the wiring is a mess....its not charging, can anyone tell me what wires from the stator to check, or how to check them, I'm hoping the stator will test O.K. because someone has cobbled together something that might be a diode of some sort dunno, definatly not o.e.m. regulator.

(It does have points) also can someone tell me the correct part number for the regulator.

Thanks

Dan:praying:

#2 ·
Well I believe I have identified that cobbled up part, I think it was a vacuum rectifier(without the glass, it was busted) LOL, someone got creative,

As near as I can tell I have an unregulated stator, so I believe the only thing I need is a rectifier/diode, correct?

#6 ·
Well D-Dogg you are right about the horsepower rating, I was going off what the guy told me that had it before me. I got all the wiring from stator to where the regulator will go all squared away, and thank you CHARGIN for the part number of the regulator, ordered it today. Will post back when I get the rest of the wiring done and see if its gonna charge.

#7 ·
Well folks I got the regulator yesterday and installed it today, no go on charging.

I am getting 14 volts ac across the two ac terminals but very low dc voltage at the center terminal,(0 to 3 volts dc) and its polarity is reversed?:banghead3 Any input will greatly be appreciated.

#8 ·
Bumper Auto part Rust

Metal

OK, Got it figured out, My ammeter was bad, I hooked it up without and it works fine, 13 to 14.5 volts dc. I robbed the ammeter from my ford lgt and it looks like its putting out about 4 amps @ wide open throttle:trink40:

The top pic is after I installed the new regulator, and the bottom pic is that thing someone had installed in place of a regulator???

Thanks again fella's, hopefully I will be able to return the favor and help someone out here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.