Legacy Kwik-Way Loader - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 PM   post #1 of 16
firefighter5143
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2550
Default Legacy Kwik-Way Loader

I need to do some upkeep to my loader and have two questions.

1.) what kind of oil do I use in it? I want to change the oil in it any tips?

2.) it has a small drip at one of the hose connections. Can I use teflon tape on this or will the hyd. fluid eat the tape?

Thanks!

Last edited by firefighter5143; 08-13-2011 at 11:05 PM.
firefighter5143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 01:26 AM   post #2 of 16
TUDOR
9000+ Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 28463
Default Re: Legacy Kwik-Way Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter5143 View Post

2.) it has a small drip at one of the hose connections. Can I use teflon tape on this or will the hyd. fluid eat the tape?

Thanks!
1.) If you have the book, it will tell you. Sorry, that's the best answer I can give for your machine. It looks fairly new. Otherwise, any good quality hydraulic fluid.

2.) Tighten the fitting a bit. Most hoses use JIC fittings that don't like tape. Teflon tape is for straight NPT fittings, not stainless hydraulic fittings which includes swivel NPT.

3.) Collapse all the cylinders before changing oil and filter. That puts as much oil as possible into the reservoir. That will also let you fill to the mark. If the cylinders are extended and you fill to the mark, you run the risk of blowing oil out the breather when they are retracted.

4.) Oil change interval by the book, or every 300 hours if the information isn't available.

5.) If you can't change the oil and the filter at the proper interval, at least change the filter.

6.) Have rags and floor-dri handy before starting.

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys.
TUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 AM   post #3 of 16
firefighter5143
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2550

On the fitting that is leaking it appears to have some type of pipe dope on it from the factory. The fitting is a 90 degree fitting so it has to be in a certain position for the hose to connect. My machine is about 8 - 10 years old. I certainly don't have 300 hours on the loader. Maybe 50-100.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 AM   post #4 of 16
ezliving4ume
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 32166

If your going to change out the fluid, i'd think about putting a guage it the system and I think the presurre can be upped to 1500 from 1000. Don't quote me on that, seem jay did that mod? Can't remember.
The LandLord
Why Purchase Simplicity:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...6380&highlight
ezliving4ume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 AM   post #5 of 16
ezliving4ume
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 32166

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...oader+pressure

Check this thread out, is it the same?
The LandLord
Why Purchase Simplicity:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...6380&highlight
ezliving4ume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM   post #6 of 16
Alan Lloys
TECH Exchange Contributor!

MTF Member # 32845

Quote:

Thanks!
According to the Kwikway manual they recommend the following:
"A good grade hydraulic fluid or ATF (Dexron) Automatic Transmission Fluid"

Note that the ATF they are recommending is different than the Type F transmission fluid you use in the Sundstrand Hydro.
The manual calls for 6.5 quarts for fluid.

If I remember correctly you have the same loader as I have where it has a separate pump running off the front PTO. That is different than the newer loaders shown in the link from ezliving4ume.

Teflon tape is very inert to almost any chemical. Hydraulic fluid should have no impact on it and you can use it in a pinch. The correct fix would be new fittings as TUDOR is describing.

You actually can increase the hydraulic pressure if you wanted to by adjusting a screw in the spool valve relief valve. But I am not sure I am recommending it as the lift capacity is matched to the front axle strength.

I have a (pretty poor) scan of the manual in PDF format if you are interested. It is rather large at 6 Mb but I can email if you PM your address to me.

Alan Lloys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 PM   post #7 of 16
firefighter5143
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2550

ezliving. Thanks for the tip. The thread is dedicated to the Legacy XL. On the older model Legacys the pump is separate from the trans. My pump mounts on the front pto and has to be taken off and removed every time I take the loader off.

Alan. Thanks for the information. Unfortunally I bought my loader used and did not have a manual to go with it. I would really appreciate the manual in pdf form. Have you ever changed your fluid? If so have any oil brand recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:28 PM   post #8 of 16
Alan Lloys

MTF Member # 32845

Firefighter 5143 - the PDF should be in your inbox.
I bought it used, but the previous owner had all the manuals for the tractor and attachments in a nice binder. That really helps for maintenance and troubleshooting.

I have not replaced the fluid in mine - only checked to verify that it was full.
I will have to replace the large suction hose on the pump at some point as it has been worn by rubbing on the front tire at the PO so I will have to replaced the fluid then.
Since I will have no other use for Hydraulic fluid I will probably buy the ATF fluid as it comes in quarts. I am sure whatever is cheapest will be fine for this. It is not a very high tech or critical application.
I checked at Fleet farm and you can get ATF for around $2.00 per quart.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:14 PM   post #9 of 16
firefighter5143
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2550

Alan "people who know use valvoline" and so does Jason W. Ha. That tends to be my brand of choice so I'm sure that is what I will be putting in it. I think I will call kwikway tomorrow and just ask what is in it now.

U know the biggest pita is putting that pump on and off. What to you think about putting a disconnect between the input and output hoses and being able to disconnect them. Then connect the pumps two hoses together so that with the pump on the tractor but the loader off you could still use the mower deck? My only concern would be the amount of oil circulating. Would there be enough?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 AM   post #10 of 16
TUDOR
9000+ Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 28463

Quote:
Alan "people who know use valvoline" and so does Jason W. Ha. That tends to be my brand of choice so I'm sure that is what I will be putting in it. I think I will call kwikway tomorrow and just ask what is in it now.

U know the biggest pita is putting that pump on and off. What to you think about putting a disconnect between the input and output hoses and being able to disconnect them. Then connect the pumps two hoses together so that with the pump on the tractor but the loader off you could still use the mower deck? My only concern would be the amount of oil circulating. Would there be enough?
I use Dexron in both my Sundstrand and my loader. Dexron meets the Allison C-3 spec or above that Sundstrand recommends.

Is your reservoir part of the tractor or does it come off with the loader?

If it stays on the tractor, use quick connects at the valve set for the work ports like the big tractors do and leave the pump and valves on the tractor.

A disconnect should not work for the pump. You should have 2 different sizes and types of hoses for the inlet ond outlet. Something that will work if the pump and reservoir stay on the tractor and the valves go with the loader is a quick diconnect for the valve set supply and return lines and plug them together to complete the circuit with no valve. The pump will still move oil, but at low to no pressure and minimal power consumption or heat build-up, and you'll have the system available for other uses if they come up.

If the reservoir stays with the loader, take the pump off with it. It's too easy to get dirt in the system otherwise, and you really don't want to forget to disconnect the pump drive.

In Service

Down for Repairs
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 PM   post #11 of 16
Alan Lloys

MTF Member # 32845

Quote:
I can see how a quick disconnect would make it easier to take the pump off and put it on. But I would not recommend leaving the pump on all the time pumping away while you are mowing. There is no reservoir so there is really no place for the oil to dissipate the heat. There is also no buffer to prevent the pump from cavitating if there is a little air entering the system. This can cause permanent damage to the pump.

All that being said, I do not seem to have a lot of problems with the pump. I can take it off in less than a minute and put it back on in about a minute as well. The whole procedure of removing the FEL and putting it back on probably takes me less than 10 min.

I wonder if there is something wrong with your pump mount that makes it more difficult than it should be. If you follow the procedure in the manual I just sent you it will help.
The trick is to unhook the FEL itself and then back up the tractor 1-2 feet. Turn the wheels to the side that allows you to pull out the two rods holding the pump. Then turn off the tractor.
You can now basically sit on the bucket, remove the two pins by pulling them out and then slide the pump out.

Installation is the opposite. Make sure you get the suction hose routed correctly under the stabilizer arm. I get the flexible connection onto the PTO first and then the pump can hang gently while you insert the rods.

Hope this helps. If you want to you can send me some pictures and we can compare if the mounts are all the same.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 PM   post #12 of 16
Alan Lloys

MTF Member # 32845

Quote:
Alan. Thanks for the information. Unfortunally I bought my loader used and did not have a manual to go with it. I would really appreciate the manual in pdf form. Have you ever changed your fluid? If so have any oil brand recommendations?

Thanks!
I just wanted to follow up on this. I had to replace the suction hose on the system which means that the hydraulic fluid reservoir drains out.
I emailed Kwik-way asking what oil was in it and what to use for it.
I was very impressed that I had an answer back in a few hours Great service.

Anyway they say that the units are shipped dry from them, so there is no OEM fluid for them. The installing dealer puts the fluid in.
Here is what they said for recommended fluid:

"you can use any grade A Hydraulic/Transmission fluid that you have in your area. If you change fluid you should try and get most of the old fluid out of the loader."

The manual explains to have all the cylinders retracted to maximize the amount of fluid in the reservoir so as much as possible is replaced.
I put in about 6 quarts of Fleet Farm's "Farm and Fleet Universal Trans-Hydraulic fluid". A 2 gallon jug cost me around $ 16
They had similar jugs labelled for JD and Case/IH. I could not really tell what the difference was if any as the universal bottle listed that it was approved for JD, Case and IH.

After moving the cylinders back and forth a couple of times to get the air our I added more fluid to the FEL until it came out the check hole as instructed in the manual. Hope this helps others that need to change the oil.

BTW the oil that came out looked pretty good in the sense that it was not dirty or black. It did however appear to have a bit of moisture in it as it had slight cream colored streaks in it. I guess changing it every ten years may be a bit too long of a stretch.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 AM   post #13 of 16
N2 Tractors
Rebuilding my First JD GT

MTF Member # 136514

Good info in this thread. Looking for FEL ideas and any information relating to them.

firefighter did you ever get it all worked out and running smoothly?
33 Tiller + 8" Extension
38" Brass Tag Mower
Very Used John Deere LT133
N2 Tractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 05:50 AM   post #14 of 16
TUDOR
9000+ Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 28463

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 Tractors View Post
Good info in this thread. Looking for FEL ideas and any information relating to them.
Follow the links in this thread. Lots of reading.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=241581

In Service

Down for Repairs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 PM   post #15 of 16
simplicityman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23226

when i needed to add oil to mine i just used hyd oil i think i got a kwik-way checked the manual and cant find any thing that says what oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3763.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	733994  
simplicityman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.