what's the difference between....... - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-23-2011, 04:06 AM   post #1 of 7
rober
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 60832
Default what's the difference between.......

........models 566, 5665 & 5660?
rober is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 AM   post #2 of 7
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720
Default Re: what's the difference between.......

Axles on the 566 are keyed at the wheel hubs. 5XXX are splined. 5665 Commercial has an hour meter and an ammeter, 5660 Commercial does not have an ammeter but may have an hour meter. There are differences in the engines also. 566 have red and white paint jobs. 5XXX early are red and white while later are red only paint jobs.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:19 AM   post #3 of 7
bluegoose
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 23010

As was the case with the older L model "upgrade" from the 6.6 to the 7.6HP, a fair amount of what Gravely did with their numbering designation was for semantics. Municipalities would need a slightly different tractor than private parties and of course, every few years, a new color combination was needed. At the end of the day they were all 12HP Kohler powered tractors with only slight variations.

Don's mentioned the difference in hub design between the 500 and 5000 series machines. The keyed design of the 500 series hubs prevented Gravely's steering brakes from being installed on this machines, so you won't see a brake assembly on a stock 500 series machine. The brakes come in very handy for working on slopes and turning heavy attachments - not having them is a (slight) downside to the 500's.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 11:44 AM   post #4 of 7
arcam8123
Gravelyyard.com

MTF Member # 1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Don's mentioned the difference in hub design between the 500 and 5000 series machines. The keyed design of the 500 series hubs prevented Gravely's steering brakes from being installed on this machines, so you won't see a brake assembly on a stock 500 series machine. The brakes come in very handy for working on slopes and turning heavy attachments - not having them is a (slight) downside to the 500's.
Amen to that! I recently moved my 50" deck from my 5665 w/brake to my 546 wo/brake and man what a difference. You do get a better workout without the brake.
arcam8123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 11:55 AM   post #5 of 7
bluegoose
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 23010

I'm running a 50" deck on one of my 5665's right now w/o a brake - on a larger commercial lawn - and being punished. I bought the rig with a steering sulky and decided I could remove it w/o making much of a difference - wrong.....
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 PM   post #6 of 7
arcam8123
Gravelyyard.com

MTF Member # 1157

Steering brakes have been officialy banned for the Gravely Diet Plan.
arcam8123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 02:18 PM   post #7 of 7
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
As was the case with the older L model "upgrade" from the 6.6 to the 7.6HP, a fair amount of what Gravely did with their numbering designation was for semantics. Municipalities would need a slightly different tractor than private parties and of course, every few years, a new color combination was needed. At the end of the day they were all 12HP Kohler powered tractors with only slight variations.

The keyed hubs themselves would not have prevented the use of brakes. Gravely had keyed hubs on the PM-50s. All it would have taken was a design change like you find on the splined ones. Make a 4-hole center area while keeping the keyway, key, and 6-bolt pattern.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.