Disc vs Tillers for Compact Tractors - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
olderguy
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 63213
Default Disc vs Tillers for Compact Tractors

In my area where farmers grow wheat, soy beans, rice, corn, milo and such, i have yet to see a tiller behind one of their tractors, and I'm wondering about the advantages / disadvantages of a disc for an individual using a compact tractor gardening 1 to 2 acres.

Please advise regarding a disc vs tiller
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37
Default Re: Disc vs Tillers for Compact Tractors

The majority of farmers use no till equipment today compared to years ago. For a 1-2 acre garden I would use whatever I had around. If you've got the plow and disc use it. If your going to need to buy one or the other I would get the largest tiller available for the size tractor you've got. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
bcampbe7
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4704

I would say that one could disc much faster than they could till. Time is money for farmers.

For a garden, tilling is best, IMHO.
bcampbe7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
dmay
MTF Member

MTF Member # 55222

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
In my area where farmers grow wheat, soy beans, rice, corn, milo and such, i have yet to see a tiller behind one of their tractors, and I'm wondering about the advantages / disadvantages of a disc for an individual using a compact tractor gardening 1 to 2 acres.

Please advise regarding a disc vs tiller
Farmers need to work large acreages. They use non PTO powered heavy discs that are very wide. A large heavy tractor has the weight and power to pull these. Usually a two step process of pulling a disc, then pulling a harrow. A farmer does not have a choice to use a tiller as they just dont make one big enough and then the power requirement if they did would be immense.

A compact tractor can only pull a small light disc. This often is the weakness of where this combination fails. Disc is too light and/or tractor is too light. A PTO powered tiller works great on a small tractor. You can really do a good job with a tiller. You can go as slow as needed to break up the soil. The only benefit to a small compact tractor disc over a tiller is lower cost. A tiller will do a better job overall.

JD2320, 200CX, 53" Bucket, 54" QH SnowBlower, iMatch, Ballast Box, LR1072, RC2048, GM3060, 647 Tiller, SS1023B
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
olderguy
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 63213

Wow - great explanations!

Many Thanks
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Clint in KY
W5CPT

MTF Member # 45594
Garage

Another dis-advantage of a disc - you must first break up the soil with a plow before you disc it. Breaking up the ground (two or three passes) and then discing (two or three passes) actually takes longer than running a Tiller.

The main advantage of a plow and disc is $$$ . I got a Subsoiler for $169 and a disc given to me. Tillers are about $1500 or so.
Clint in KY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
ncron1985
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 55521

Ive got the nice reverse till land pride and I still run a subsoiler to break up the deep packed dirt really seems to help with drainage Ive got some weeds and crops to till in here tomorrow if the ground isnt too wet and the plan is to use the middle buster to hopefuly try and burry the weeds so they die then Ill till
ncron1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Volfandt
Machinery enthusiast

MTF Member # 164

Agree, great explainations
I can only add my experiences w/a plow & disc setup (somebody has to swim against the current ).
My garden used to be about an acre in size and I'd turn it w/a bottom plow just before the 1st frost then work it up nice and fine w/a disc in early spring. I could really work that dirt up real fine w/this combination and do it pretty quick w/an old TE20 as the power plant. My disc was a modified single row former horse drawn model w/a 3ph adapter welded on. I'd have maybe a 1/2 day to plow and another 1/2 day to disc. A dual gang disc would have cut down on the disc'ing time quite a bit.

I've down sized the garden to basicall a 30 x 50 plot which is really too small for a plow & disc so I just follow a walk behind tiller around it come early spring. A nice 3ph mounted tiller would be great but I'd have to hit the lottery or similar 1st

IMHO, it's more economical to use a plow/disc on large acreage plots and a 3ph tiller on smaller. A tiller is also great for between row weed control too.

Dave
Dave

1966 Wheel Horse 856, Gear.
1966 Wheel Horse 876, HST.
w/50" sicklebar mower, 36" rotary mower, snow blade, alternator/welder.
http://mytractorforum.com/showthread...hlight=856,876

The USMC, providing the enemies of the USA the opportunity to die for their country since 1775.
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.