Peerless transaxle oil seal leaks - please help - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM   post #1 of 4
Alan Lloys
TECH Exchange Contributor!

MTF Member # 32845
Default Peerless transaxle oil seal leaks - please help

I have a 2003 Simplicity legacy I just acquired.
I posted some pictures over on the Simplicity forum.

The reason for posting here is to see if someone can help me with a leak from the transaxle. This same unit is used in other tractors also as best I know. The transaxle is the Peerless/Tecumseh 2600-025

The leak seems to be right where the axle support bolts up to the transaxle housing. I found on the exploded view that there is an axle oil seal in there. Based on the diagram it appears that it is inserted from the outside.
So can I replace this without having to remove the entire transaxle or have to open it up ?

I have attached two pictures below. It is just slowly seeping out when it is used. When it is just sitting there are no leaks.

Thanks,

Alan Lloys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 PM   post #2 of 4
DonF
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53676
Default Re: Peerless transaxle oil seal leaks - please help

You might try sealing those bolts with gasket sealer before trying the axle seal. It could just be leaking around the bolts. Back them out and put a little gasket sealer on them. it's worth a try.
DonF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 PM   post #3 of 4
gray wolf
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 40073

i use atv red sealer on axle seals works really good.clean off with alcohol first.
gray wolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM   post #4 of 4
Alan Lloys
TECH Exchange Contributor!

MTF Member # 32845

OK, I actually ordered the axle seal (an amazing $ 6.50 shipped on Ebay) and got it today. I was hoping I could make my way into it without removing the whole transaxle from the tractor. I just hate having to remove all the linkages etc.

Anyway here are the pictures from my progress.

First I took the wheel off and removed the dust cover

The nut is sitting with a special lock disc that has a tab going into the key way. You have to bend it back a little from the nut. Once that is done the nut came off easily.

Here is the spindle removed. Remember not to loose the key

This is the axle sticking out after the wheel spindle is removed.

Once all the bolts are removed you can slide the axle support and the axle out.

BUT - the axle goes into the transaxle some ways. So the top ear of the axle support hits the frame before it can be slid back far enough.

So close yet so far
The leaking seal is right there and serviceable from the outside of the transmission.

For now I gave it some blue Permatex sealant around the area where the two parts mate up. We will see if that will hold up good enough for now.
The repair of replacing the seal actually doesn't look too difficult - just a lot of work to take the transaxle completely out. I guess the axle seals are not commonly replaced.
I can see on the new seal that this is not just an O-ring. This is a very complex seal with a built in spring to tension around the axle. I guess I have not worked with these axle seals before so I didn't know what to expect.

BTW when I was pulling out the axle I could hear a little ratcheting noise from the transaxle. And when I pushed it back in I had to turn it around to make it catch something. Do you know what is in there - it sounds like some kind of ball detent that goes into a keyway ?? I was a bit afraid at first when I couldn't push the axle back in. But I just drove it around the back yard and it drives strong and smooth.

Please let me know if you have any input on what the inside of that transaxle looks like and how the axle is attached.
I guess I know for next time at least that I do not have to take the whole wheel spindle off as it all comes off with the axle support.

Thanks
Alan Lloys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.