What are not running riding mowers going for antique, old, and new? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

What Is It Worth ? Ask what is it worth. Average going price in your area. Blue Book Value.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
davbell22602
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 50379
Default What are not running riding mowers going for antique, old, and new?

I had offer me a newer style. Say 10 years old or less with a bad kohler courage engine in it that still turns over and rods still connected for $150. Its in nice shape but has a possible bad kohler courage engine in it. This guy also has bunch of old wheelhorse riding mowers. He says wants to get rid of it but then he starts telling what its worth. He also said if doesnt go soon it going in a scrap dumpster. Is he testing the water with me or is trying to get every penny he can for them even though they dont run. He has 2 other newer style rider I want and they both have bad motors too. One's a yard something but not yard man or yard machine with a locked up high performance briggs intek and the other is troy built rider with missing hood, missing seat, and bad briggs v twin on it to.

There's a guy in the city that has sears DYT4000 with a bad kohler 25 v-twin and he wants $400 for it from what I was told.
davbell22602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86
Default Re: What are not running riding mowers going for antique, old, and new?

Some of the older Wheelhorse (Pond) tractors are worth big $$$

Kbeitz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
davbell22602
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 50379

What about the new stuff? Say around mid 90's to present.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
gburnett
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 9399

Not alot at sales there is always a large number of newer mowers that look great and have blown engines or bad trans.Don't bring alot compared to what they cost new because to repair them is too expensive.
gburnett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
davbell22602
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 50379

I figured $100-150 max is good enough for one that alot reusable parts for another one like it.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
engine2quarters
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 24003

Scrap value is under $100, maybe under $50. If you need to add an engine, engines go for $100 up. Add a tranny, $75 - 100. Tires, tubes $15 - 20 each. Things add up.
I've seen some Craftsman 'green' LT1000's going for $400 - 500 with either bad motors or bad tranny.
I'm watching 2 1980's vintage, series 200 Wheel Horses, one with a bad motor, one with a bad tranny. They're asking $150 for both, been 3 weeks and not sold yet.
One and 2 year old Craftsmans are being listed for close to or just above what you can buy new ones for. Don't figure.
Exotic models do bring top dollar.

Make a CASH offer. Cold hard cash in hand shows that you're a 'dealer', not just a 'tire kicker'.
engine2quarters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
davbell22602
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 50379

Either too many people are fixing them to resell or junk dealers got them and cash them in for scrap reguardless how simple the fix could've been. I'm starting to have to buy non running ones just to keep them from the junk dealers, scrapyards, and local landfill.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #8
s10lowrider1994
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45450

Most of the newer dept store tractors are worth their weight in scrap if they dont run. Typically they arent worth much used when running anyway so by the time you buy the broken one and fix it, you could have bought a good running used one and saved yourself the trouble of playing with someone elses headache. On the flip side buying them for parts is a good idea if you always need donors and have space to store them. Some of the higher end models bring decent money, older tractors and antiques are a niche market and very hard to put a price on.

I get far to many for free to ever think about purchasing a blown up tractor though, something about paying money for somebody elses junk rubs me the wrong way.
s10lowrider1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Frankly I would not pay much for a non running LT. Some of the modern engines, and axles just cant be repaired cheaply. Now when you get up to the GT world thats diferent. Then you have something that has been built to be repaired, and also with be worth more when done. Take a 5-10 year old Lower level, or box store LT.... eaven it great shape its worth what... maybe a grand tops... So you pay a few hunderd for a non runner, and have to dump 5-$600 on it... Well... you better think of keeping it a bit and getting some use out of it.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
gburnett
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 9399

Yep some garden tractors non running sitting in the bushes for years can be worth quite a good sum for their parts like 3pts,PTO add,no longer available items add ons etc.Before putting a wrench (or $$$) on a non runner check to see what the runners in that model are selling for.
gburnett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Wayne195
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 44033
Garage

The value of a non-running tractor is largely determined by what brand it is and what engine it has. For example, any tractor with a Kohler Magnum 16,18, or 20 engine, running or non-running, is autimatically worth about $200 for me because the parts of those engines can be parted out for large $$$ because they are relatively rare. I generally base the most value on what engine a tractor has more than the rest of the tractor.
Wayne195 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
davbell22602
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 50379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne195 View Post
The value of a non-running tractor is largely determined by what brand it is and what engine it has. For example, any tractor with a Kohler Magnum 16,18, or 20 engine, running or non-running, is autimatically worth about $200 for me because the parts of those engines can be parted out for large $$$ because they are relatively rare. I generally base the most value on what engine a tractor has more than the rest of the tractor.
What about the Kohler Courage?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne195 View Post
Im like that with anything with a Kohler K. They were used in EVERYTHING back in the day, and are still in use around the world. Always a damand for parts. Eaven worn out core engines can get you probably more money then you pay for the whole tractor.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #14
s10lowrider1994
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45450

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbell22602 View Post
What about the Kohler Courage?
Honestly I've heard nothing but horror stories about those things. I'm a big Kohler fan but apparently the Courage engines are a nightmare.
s10lowrider1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Wayne195
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 44033
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994 View Post
Honestly I've heard nothing but horror stories about those things. I'm a big Kohler fan but apparently the Courage engines are a nightmare.
I agree, the Kohler courage series engines are the lowest class in the Kohler lineup. It does'nt compare in quality with the older Magnum and Command Pro engines at all.
Wayne195 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.