2N dies when PTO engaged - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Lkyman
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51342
Default 2N dies when PTO engaged

My 2n will idle fine, run and turn brush hog when setting in neutral, but when you put it in gear and start to take off it bogs down and dies. Air filter has been cleaned and carb went through.

Thanks

Jeff
Lkyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
dt1050
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 61425
Default Re: 2N dies when PTO engaged

i'm new here so i don't know your situation/skill level. but i had my 8n (had a 2n rear) in 1st gear, 3/4 throttle and engaged the bhog far enough away from the field to let the tractor and bhog get up to speed before getting into the hay.

you went through the carb, so i'm guessing you checked fuel flow. gov., vent holes & all linkage is hooked up.
I would then check for good spark at each plug, even if the plugs look good and appear to have good spark, i would still check the points, cap and rotor. since they are an easy to get to.
dt1050 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Lkyman
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51342

Fixed!!!

Thought of it in the middle of the night. It had a complete tune up less then a year ago will all new parts. I had the carb rebuilt because it was running rich and wanted to flood out. Took out the plugs and cleaned them up and works perfectly. It does need new plugs but can get those tomorrow and get some mowing done today.

Happy 4th to everybody
Old 07-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
2_Late_I_Won
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29025

awesome make sure you have the firing order correct too.
2_Late_I_Won is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Lkyman
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51342

Well, if it ain't one thing it's another!!

Started cutting out after mowing for an hour, died. I let bit cool down a nd it would run for just a bit and die. finally tonight pulled plug and no spark, pulled distributer and the points weren't opening. Got out my trusty FO-4 manual and there was no adjustment in the points, it looked like the plastic piece was wore down. Getting new points tomorrow.

Here is my question/s?

A) Is this common? the points are only 8mo old

B) Father-in-law put them in, could they have been put in to tight and cause the wear?

C) Having read the manual on installing points, I'm not to sure about the timing information. Do I install points and adjust to .015 opening?

Can someone explain figure FO83 to me and what it has to do with the points?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
ShovelJockey
MTF Member

MTF Member # 62096

As long as there is still a little bit of "finger" on the points, you could possibly adjust them to .015" and go again. No need for new points unless the finger is gone. If it is completely gone, check your distributor cam for rust or flaking. If it is rough, that is what is chewing your points up prematurely. Most of the time those Marvel Scheblers will not run rich unless the needle and seat is shot. They actually need to have the mainjet bored out a little bit to run really good.

Your governor may need rebuilt as well, as it may not be compensating properly for the additional load placed on the motor. This is a common problem in these old N series tractors.

Your coil may be a culprit as well if it is not applying the proper voltage to fire the spark plugs. This will give you a false "rich" reading on your spark plugs.

I am a vintage Ford tractor restoration mechanic. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. We have an original Sun distributor machine and I can rebuild your distributor for you without having the tractor here. I can also rebuild your governor as we have the original Ford governor tool from way back in our dealership days. Our shop is the midwest's specialty Ford restoration guys and have been keeping these things going for a long time. Check walthillservice.com if you want.

This is by no means to be read as a guy begging for work, only to let you know about our capabilities. There are a lot of tricks to these things that a lot of people dont know about. Believe me, I fix a lot of other "mechanic's" mistakes.
ShovelJockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
souNdguy
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 94

make sure the proper coil and resistor combo is present, otherwise points and coil will suffer and you will have degraded spark.

cam lobe lube will save the rubbing block too.

soundguy
souNdguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
gears
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45693

Mine did that too - I was figgerin that it was the cheap TSC points the PO put in, I reground the slot with a die grinder just to get it up and running - Napa points are next on my to purchase list.

ShovelJockey - could you make a post for the stickies section with some of these useful tips. like boring out the main jet and whatnot? Always like to learn tips & tricks!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
souNdguy

MTF Member # 94

tsc sells tisco points.. with cheap rubbing blocks. deffinately have to use cam lobe lube and reset them when worn, as they usualy wear faster than a set of premium breaker contacts.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
gears
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45693

That's what I figured

Thanks SouNdguy!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
slip knot
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35095

I've had a similiar experience with TSC points. Just put a set from NAPA in last month. We'll see how they hold up. The NAPA set was a bit pricier than the TSC parts but if you don't have to mess with em as much it $$$ well spent.
slip knot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 AM   #12
dt1050
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 61425

got mine from napa, used them for 2 years, then the resistor went bad, and burned them up? but never had to mess with the points after that.

1980 Allis Chalmers 5020 4x4
430 Allis Loader
67 bolens 750
dt1050 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
ShovelJockey
MTF Member

MTF Member # 62096

Quote:
Originally Posted by gears View Post
ShovelJockey - could you make a post for the stickies section with some of these useful tips. like boring out the main jet and whatnot? Always like to learn tips & tricks!
Yeah, I could do a few write ups. Working with my Grandpa who has been with Ford tractors since 1954 (as a dealer and mechanic) has afforded me a few little tips.
ShovelJockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
souNdguy

MTF Member # 94

yep.. many napa's sell standard ignition or bluestrak points. sometimes upwards of 18$.. way more money than 54 tisco points.. but.. I have blue strak poitns going on 10ys now.. and tisco points.. well.. lets jsut say I have a jar full of them from old ignition kits from tsc. i keep em handy for emergencies.. but i don't actually use them..

the rubbing blocks are a soft plastic compaired to a harder plastic or nylon, or a phenolic rubbing block found on premium sets.

again.. cam lobe lube is a must on all of them.

soundguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
Lkyman
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51342

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShovelJockey View Post
As long as there is still a little bit of "finger" on the points, you could possibly adjust them to .015" and go again. No need for new points unless the finger is gone. If it is completely gone, check your distributor cam for rust or flaking. If it is rough, that is what is chewing your points up prematurely. Most of the time those Marvel Scheblers will not run rich unless the needle and seat is shot. They actually need to have the mainjet bored out a little bit to run really good.

Your governor may need rebuilt as well, as it may not be compensating properly for the additional load placed on the motor. This is a common problem in these old N series tractors.

Your coil may be a culprit as well if it is not applying the proper voltage to fire the spark plugs. This will give you a false "rich" reading on your spark plugs.

I am a vintage Ford tractor restoration mechanic. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. We have an original Sun distributor machine and I can rebuild your distributor for you without having the tractor here. I can also rebuild your governor as we have the original Ford governor tool from way back in our dealership days. Our shop is the midwest's specialty Ford restoration guys and have been keeping these things going for a long time. Check walthillservice.com if you want.

This is by no means to be read as a guy begging for work, only to let you know about our capabilities. There are a lot of tricks to these things that a lot of people dont know about. Believe me, I fix a lot of other "mechanic's" mistakes.

Inner arm on the governor is broken.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.