Husqvarna on Transmission Warranties: "We don't want to hear about it" - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 PM   post #1 of 23
GeneralEclectic
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61873
Angry Husqvarna on Transmission Warranties: "We don't want to hear about it"

Wow. The new YTH24V42LS arrived this week. I finally got around to sifting through the paperwork that came with it, with special attention to warranty documentation since Husqvarna is pretty evasive about what is/isn't covered and how the covered items are handled.

Well, now I know why they're evasive. The warranty is severely weasel-worded, even more than normal for products these days. Basically they say "Okay, we'll support you on the major components except for the engine and transmission and anything we decide is a wear item." Oh, and by the way, it's up to you to deliver the broken machine to an authorized service center.

Now let's think about this. In my case, any engine problems will probably be covered by my dealer since they're Kawasaki authorized. But the TuffTorq transmission? WHO KNOWS??? There's not a single word in any of the documentation about the transmission warranty, if there even is one. Not. One. Word. I have no idea if there's a warranty or not. As far as Husqvarna is concerned, we customers are apparently totally on our own to get problems resolved, since they explicitly state that they don't want to be bothered.

WOW.

I wish I'd have known this before I bought the **** thing because I wouldn't have bought it under these conditions, especially considering the high risk of transmission problems.

No wonder Husqvarna is evasive about warranty on their web site. You can't find anything at all concerning warranty except the vague "3 years/5 years" on the product specification page. I'd go so far as to say that this is bordering on fraud, since there's nothing written anywhere about a TuffTorq warranty to the end user, beyond Husqvarna's "don't come to us with your problems". If you go by the product web page, you'd be suckered into thinking, as I was, that the whole machine was covered.

I'm going to contact Husqvarna and my dealer on Tuesday to get their official position on this and will post back with their comments. I'm so ticked about this at this point that I may consider returning the tractor if I don't like the answers I get.

Come to think of it, this may not even be legal. The FTC has some pretty stringent requirements for product warranties. We'll see....
GeneralEclectic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 PM   post #2 of 23
maybeimatractor
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 58090
Default Re: Husqvarna on Transmission Warranties: "We don't want to hear about it"

i for one will be watching your post, it is bull what they are doing
Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 PM   post #3 of 23
PA318Guy
Ole man winter is gone!!!

MTF Member # 31960
Garage
Default Re: Husqvarna on Transmission Warranties: "We don't want to hear about it"

Good luck and I hope that you'll end up satisfied with their response. Not good to spend that kind of money and not be sure that for a reasonable amount of time that you're covered.

Current Machine JD 322

Former Machines: JD 318, JD 216, JD 212, 1965 JD 110

My videos: www.youtube.com/user/tkelley16341
PA318Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 PM   post #4 of 23
KirkW
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57237

I received my YTH22V42LS last week, and after reading this post decided to read the warranty again, for the first time (so to speak...).

The warranty paperwork is for all Husqvarna "Consumer Wheeled Products" (tractors, mowers, snow-blowers, tillers, etc.). Section 1(b) covers Transmissions. The wording says that they're not covered by the Husqvarna warranty. But it then goes on to say "Tuff-Torq provide[s] a warranty for the transmission/transaxle to the ultimate purchaser or to Husqvarna. Husqvarna will assign the transmission/transaxle manufacturer's warranty... to the original purchaser. To obtain transmission/transaxle warranty service, first contact the retailer...."

So, there is a warranty on the Tuff-Torq transmission. But, the length and terms of the warranty are not published by Husqvarna. Likely because there are so many different types of Tuff-Torq trannys, each with varying terms. I checked Tuff-Torq's web-site but found no listing of warranty terms. So I sent the following e-mail to Tuff-Torq's "Contact Us" link:

What is the warranty of the K46BT transmission as used in the 2011 Husqvarna YTH22V42LS lawn tractor?

I ask the question because, according to the warranty paperwork from Husqvarna, Husqvarna does not provide a warranty on the Tuff-Torq transmission, but instead says "Tuff-Torq provide[s] a warranty for the transmission/transaxle to the ultimate purchaser...."

So my question is what warranty do you provide on the transmission in the tractor I just bought?

I suspect I'll get directed to either a local dealer and/or Husqvarna. I'll post my results as they arrive.
KirkW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 AM   post #5 of 23
GeneralEclectic
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61873

Thanks for following up on this. It would be good to get as many people as possible prodding Husqvarna and TuffTorq on this subject. Maybe they'll clean up their act. Your letter is similar to mine:

I'll be brief with this question by holding off on the documentation unless it becomes necessary.

Short version: Husqvarna disclaims all warranty responsibility for the K46CR hydro transaxle in its products by saying that the user must pursue any warranty claims through TuffTorq directly.

I have a number of problems with this, including:

1) Husqvarna makes no mention of transaxle warranty (except to disclaim it) in any of the product documentation.
2) They claim that the end-product has a "3-year homeowner warranty" in sales literature and on their web site
3) I can find no mention on TuffTorq's web site of an end-user warranty. Nothing about duration, nothing about the process of making a claim or obtaining service, etc.
4) There was no warranty documentation (or any other documentation) from TuffTorq in the information packet that comes with the new Husqvarna product.

Note that they take a similar position on the engine (warranty provided by engine manufacturer), but they include documentation on warranty terms & conditions in the new-product information package.

So where does this leave Husqvarna's customers, as far as TuffTorq is concerned? I'm pursuing this question with Husqvarna as well, but am interested in what you have to say about it. Clearly, something is missing here.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 AM   post #6 of 23
GeneralEclectic
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61873

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkW View Post
So, there is a warranty on the Tuff-Torq transmission. But, the length and terms of the warranty are not published by Husqvarna.
I disagree. There's no warranty unless there is written documentation of its terms and conditions. Otherwise it's vaporware. Well, let me amend that -- depending on your state of residence you may have an enforceable implied warranty of fitness for purpose. Personally, I like things in writing a whole lot more than amorphous legal principles.

Suppose something does go wrong and you do as you are told and take the machine back to the retailer. He says "I don't service TuffTorq, and Husqvarna doesn't pay us for any work on transmissions." (Far as I know, my dealer does not service TuffTorq.) Then what? What recourse do you have, other than getting on the phone and pleading your case with customer service people in India who probably aren't especially interested in helping you out? If it got ugly, what, exactly, would you take into small-claims court?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 AM   post #7 of 23
MarkF48
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 27062

Tuff Torque Warranty

Give them a call and see what they say about who services it......
Tuff Torq Aftermarket Services
6041 Hunter Road
Talbott TN 37877
PHONE: 866-572-3441

customerservice@tufftorq.com
MarkF48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM   post #8 of 23
GeneralEclectic
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61873

Well well, isn't that interesting. TuffTorq says 24 month warranty on products in new lawn tractors. Husqvarna of course claims 36 months with the transaxle warranty somewhere in the Twilight Zone. Who do you believe?

I just got an email from Derrick Dalton at TT. As far as they're concerned, Husqvarna is responsible for the warranty!

He gave me a name at Husqvarna of someone who handles warranty issues. I'll call him later today and post the outcome.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:53 PM   post #9 of 23
KirkW
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57237

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkW View Post
I sent the following e-mail to Tuff-Torq's "Contact Us" link:

What is the warranty of the K46BT transmission as used in the 2011 Husqvarna YTH22V42LS lawn tractor?

I ask the question because, according to the warranty paperwork from Husqvarna, Husqvarna does not provide a warranty on the Tuff-Torq transmission, but instead says "Tuff-Torq provide[s] a warranty for the transmission/transaxle to the ultimate purchaser...."

So my question is what warranty do you provide on the transmission in the tractor I just bought?
And here is the reply from Tuff-Torq, exactly as it arrived just this morning:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your below inquiry. If you are asking about the original unit in your mower the warranty would be with Husqvarna, should be 2 years.
If it is a replacement transaxle purchased from Tuff Torq, it will be 90 days.
For your origanl warranty with Husqvarna, please call Neil Mangan, Husqvarna, 1800 438-7297, Ext. 6934.

I hope this helps.
Have a good day.

So the Tuff-Torq transaxle is a 2-year warranty. Same as the Briggs & Stratton engine in my tractor.

As for who would service it under warranty? I doubt there would be any servicing other than replacing the entire unit should it fail. And that task would be well within the purvey of even the simplest dealer... well, maybe not a big-box retailer!

Last edited by KirkW; 07-05-2011 at 11:36 PM.
KirkW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 AM   post #10 of 23
GeneralEclectic
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61873

The number for the guy at Husqvarna isn't available to consumers. I couldn't find any way to reach that extension. Figures. The longer this goes on, the more it smells.

I'm heading over to my dealer today with all this paperwork in hand, with the goal of getting some kind of commitment in writing for both the engine and transaxle.

I suggest that anyone who has an interest in this print out ALL warranty documentation, including that at manufacturer's sites, such as Kawasaki and B&S. Review it carefully for conflicts and loopholes.

For example: There was no warranty documentation for the Kawasaki engine included in my new-tractor documentation pack. I found the warranty at Kawasaki's site. There's no link to it so you have to access it directly:

http://www.kawpowr.com/warranty.aspx

Note that the Document at this link says (2a), in no uncertain terms, that owner must deliver the engine to an authorized dealer for inspection, maintenance services, and adjustments according to the chart.... (This, BTW, includes a top-end teardown with head cleaning and valve lapping at 300 hours. Yeah, right.) yet on the FAQ on the warranty page they say the following:

Am I required to take my Kawasaki product to an Authorized Kawasaki Dealer for service and maintenance work?
No, but we request that you keep written records and receipts showing that the service and maintenance work has been performed.
Can I do my own oil changes?
Yes, but we request that you keep written records and copies of receipts showing the oil changes were done.

So there we have yet another clear, direct conflict in warranty terms.

What a soap-opera.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 AM   post #11 of 23
gravely-power
Banned!

MTF Member # 36529

Some people get their skivvies in a wad before the sky falls. And as far as bordering on fraud; I wounder how many hundreds of their lawyers proofed it before it went to print.
gravely-power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM   post #12 of 23
GeneralEclectic
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 61873

Nice! A pointless personal attack AND absolutely nothing intelligent or useful to contribute! The man hits a double!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM   post #13 of 23
TooTall999
Banned

MTF Member # 45132

Well you are going on and on over the wording in your warranty...if you were so worried about all this why didn't you research the warranty BEFORE you purchased your tractor. I bought my Dixon a year ago from a local reputable dealer, and it has the same Husqvarna warranty, he told me he'd cover everything for 3 years. Maybe instead of worrying about a failure that may never happen you should just get out and enjoy your tractor. Either that or return it...geesh...

Last edited by Sergeant; 07-06-2011 at 11:37 PM.
TooTall999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM   post #14 of 23
KirkW
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57237

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall999 View Post
...just get out and enjoy your tractor.
What a capitol idea! The weather here will be great this weekend - let it mow!
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 AM   post #15 of 23
tylerm2007
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40738

Ok, I have tried to stay off of these forums because of posts like these irrating me. First off ask your Husqvarna dealer about the warranty, put the book down and stop reading way to much into your issue. First off why would Husqvarna cover a Briggs or Kawasaki problem, did they manufacture it? So why would they give away money that should come from those comapnies. Also, Husqvarna does all of the warranty on the Tuff Torq transmissions through the Husqvarna dealers, they do not cover the Hydro-Gear warranties they go through Hydro-Gear service centers (if you go to a good dealer they are mostly service centers for all of this stuff anyway so where the issue comes in I am still not sure). Tuff Torq transmissions will have a three year warranty from Husqvarna bottom line. Not to be rude but don't get too upset because in the end it is just a lawn mower, if you want to see worded warranties go look at car warranties and then you will really be upset.
tylerm2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.