I can walk faster then my "new" LT1018 ? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
donberry
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 62562
Default I can walk faster then my "new" LT1018 ?

I had a Deere Sabre mower with a 17.5hp engine. I can zip all over the yard, pretty speedy little tractor. It's 11 years old and basically thru my neglect, the deck rusted thru and I was having some starting problems.
Instead of sinking too much money into it, I found a Cub Cadet LT1018 for sale for what i thought was a very reasonable price. It has 225 hours on it and pretty much looks like new.
The guy selling it was going on vacation, but I talked him into sticking around for a little bit until I could get there to look at it. Everything looked like new, had the 225 hours on it, engine sounded great and when I turned on the deck, all seemed well - so i really did not drive it much. Was not the seller's fault, he wanted to wait until he got back from vacation so I did not take as much time as I normally would.
Got it home and before i checked the deck level etc, cranked it up and was going to zoom around the yard. Key words there are "was going to".
With the pedal all of the way down, the mower goes at about walking speed. It is actually about the same speed I walk when I use my self propelled push mower.
Surely this mower should go faster then this. I am not looking for a hot rod mower, but I do cut about an acre and a half and it is going to easily take me twice as long as it did with the sabre.
Apparently I should check the hydro fluid and insure the pedal adjustment is correct ?
Any info is appreciated. I am happy I don't have to use the push mower to cut the lawn any more, but I was hoping it would be quicker when I got a rider again
donberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
PA318Guy
End Winter Now!

MTF Member # 31960
Garage
Default Re: I can walk faster then my "new" LT1018 ?

Well not a Cub guy but they all have linkages and play in them really affects they hydrostatic so you'll want to check for wear at all points that could wear on the linkages. Also some of the pedals can be adjusted to give more response so you may want to check and see if your pedal is giving you the maximum abount of travel.

Current Machine JD 322

Former Machines: JD 318, JD 216, JD 212, 1965 JD 110

My videos: www.youtube.com/user/tkelley16341
PA318Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
rcbe
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 439

OP - look in the cavity under the tilting seat. Get the full model and serial number for your tractor.
Go to http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Public.do , enter numbers, download owners and possibly service manual for your machine. Chk contents for info on how to adjust tranny ground speeds.
rcbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
donberry
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 62562

thanks for the links but I had already got those. No service manual but I did get the parts and owner's manuals.
Turns out this is a sealed transmission so no oil to change or adjustment there. All I can think of is to replace the drive belt, maybe the pop mowed when it was wet a few times and it stretched.
On the bright side, it may be the same speed as my push mower, but it will sure be easier.
I was actually going to get a new Gravely ZT 42, already had my name on one, but my better half decided I shouldn't spend the money now - even tho it was 0% interest for 3 years...
Old 07-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
donberry
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 62562

I found the service manual and it mentions low ground speed and some adjustments to check on the relief valve linkage (the rod you pull out so you can push the mower) Sure sounds like my problem so crossing my fingers.
Nothing like a service manual.
I was ready to buy one for $4.99, but I googled the part number just to make sure what i was buying was the original service manual and the first hit on google was a free download.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
donberry
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 62562

I have seen a few posts about mowers being slow, so for anyone interested, I believe the problem on mine is the part 711-0832 Ferrule, 3/8-24 x .375 Dia.
It is an adjustable ferrule that attaches the rod from the transmission to the pedal. In my case, and I would guess I common problem, the ferrule wears, which then makes for a sloppy fit, giving you just too much play to get the full travel of the rod going to the transmission.
While I am waiting for the part, I just moved it to another hole that was on the pedal linkage. Reverse is harder there and goes real slow, but the forward speed has gotten a little faster. I am pretty sure the new ferrule will take care of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.