LT1050 Drive belt replacement help - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
RLMCG817
RLMCG817

MTF Member # 37822
Default LT1050 Drive belt replacement help

Please Help! I am new to the forum so forgive me if I ask a question that there may already be an answer to, in the forum. I have a 2005 Cub Cadet LT1050 riding mower. It recently threw the dilapidated drive belt. I jacked it up and began tearing into it, and found it much more involved than I had hoped it would be. So I reassembled it and asked a friend to assist. Well, he didn't assist. Therefore, with new found determination, I am going to start tearing it down again this moment. If anyone has the steps to do this, and/or an entire parts diagram for me to use as a guide, I would greatly appreciate any sort of help one might offer. I am mechanically inclined, but, if someone knows that this is not a job that I, an amature, might should not undertake, I am open to all suggestions, and will not be offended. Thank you in advance..............

Bobby
RLMCG817 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
roadhog96
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 1768
Default Re: LT1050 Drive belt replacement help

Maybe some of theis info will help you. This model tractor has a history of throwing belts, it's all over the internet.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...b_cadet_LT1050

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...152728543.html

http://lawnandgarden.manualsonline.c...e-belt-1749457

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...b_cadet_LT1050

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=c...+%26+before%29
roadhog96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
RLMCG817
RLMCG817

MTF Member # 37822

To roadhog96:Having been out of town for a week, I once again began yesterday working on the drive belt on my LT1050. A friend had helped me prior to leaving, and now the drive belt pulley has been bent enough that I will have to replace it as well. the electric clutch did come of with ease, but the pulley was another story. I have reviewed the links which you included, and they are helpful. Today I will weigh my options and decide whether to put the mower in the front yard for sale, or to just send it to a shop, which is not always a good option. Finding a qualified mower expert here is a toss of the coin, and the cost of having the mower picked up and brought to a shop, is another consideration. Not to mention that my faith in getting good work for a fair price, is at an all time low considering past experience. I graciously appreciate your reply and I will advise you when I either fix the mower, or I sell it. I am exploring the idea of getting a professional Skag Turf Tiger, but of course we're talking some serious money. I very much enjoy mowing our 2 1/2acres, but I do not want to spend half of the time repairing the Cub Cadet, and unfortunately, that is what I feel like I am doing.

Thank you again,

Bobby
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
roadhog96
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 1768

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMCG817 View Post
To roadhog96:Having been out of town for a week, I once again began yesterday working on the drive belt on my LT1050. A friend had helped me prior to leaving, and now the drive belt pulley has been bent enough that I will have to replace it as well. the electric clutch did come of with ease, but the pulley was another story. I have reviewed the links which you included, and they are helpful. Today I will weigh my options and decide whether to put the mower in the front yard for sale, or to just send it to a shop, which is not always a good option. Finding a qualified mower expert here is a toss of the coin, and the cost of having the mower picked up and brought to a shop, is another consideration. Not to mention that my faith in getting good work for a fair price, is at an all time low considering past experience. I graciously appreciate your reply and I will advise you when I either fix the mower, or I sell it. I am exploring the idea of getting a professional Skag Turf Tiger, but of course we're talking some serious money. I very much enjoy mowing our 2 1/2acres, but I do not want to spend half of the time repairing the Cub Cadet, and unfortunately, that is what I feel like I am doing.

Thank you again,

Bobby
Well I can understand your frustration and share your outlook on finding reputable repair work. I have done all my own maintenance on my tractor which is now 21 years old. The dealer that I bought it from told me that the newer Cub Cadets aren't built like the older ones which is pretty obvious. He also said that my model 1320 tractor which is a hydrostatic model usually looses the hydro unit between 500-600 hrs. Well I'm just about in the middle right now and every time I use it I keep thinking is today the day the rear goes. He also mentioned that the hydro rear had no repair parts available and a new replacement was not offered.

After doing some research I found a place in Belden, Mississippi that sold remanufactured ones for $850 plus $350 for shipping and you had to send your rear to them. That would mean another $350 to send it, so now it's up to $1550. I don't think so, I'd rather buy a newer model. I'm not sure If I'll go with a Cub Cadet when the time comes.

One thing I have found out throughout my life is you get what you pay for. The good things are pricey for a reason. I'm really giving the zero turn models some serious thought. You can save some major time mowing with them because of their quick response time. It doesn't get much better than those Skag Turf Tigers.

I was at my local Home Depot and they had a Cub Cadet Z Force zero turn sitting next to an Ariens Zoom zero turn. I believe they were pretty close to deck size, engine cc, and price. The Ariens made the Cub Cadet look cheap.

Hopefully when and if the time comes I will have a good idea on what to replace it with. Right now I'm not really sure.
roadhog96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
RLMCG817
RLMCG817

MTF Member # 37822

Well Roadhog96................ An update. I continue my battle with the drive pulley. Having discussed the problem with a trusted mechanic I found locally, I am even a little more wary of removing the pulley than I had been. He has seen some real stinkers during his career. One of which he had to nearly cutoff with a welding torch. But as he suggested, I heated it with my propane torch and sprayed it well with an oil spray, then let it cool. I had rented a 3 prong wheel puller and all it did was to bend the pulley even more. I released the 4 engine mounting bolts, and raised the engine up, but even that idea was unsuccessful. At 97 outside, I will attempt again in the morning. In 6 years I have never failed to fix the mower, but I am now all but ready to throw in the towel. I never quit trying generally, and I do not want to start now. I am hoping that your hydrostatic unit holds up for a couple hundred more hours. The trusted mechanic I referrerd to is a dealer with a couple lines of zero turn mowers. He sells the Hustler Sport with three cutting decks, 42", 48" and 54". The ones he has are equipped Kawasaki engines ranging from 20 HP and up. I looked at the 42" for $2,999.00. As you said however, you get what you pay for. How I would love a Skag. The decks on the Hustlers are heavy welded, and although the mowers aren't attractive they look like powerful machines that will last. I am so tempted to get the 52" deck and these are zero-tun mowers, which I have never owned nor driven. I'll let you know the final outcome, and again I appreciate your time.

Bobby
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
RLMCG817
RLMCG817

MTF Member # 37822

PS: The dealer also sells Bob Cat zero turn mowers and they were fine machines but even more expensive than the Hustlers.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
rcbe
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 439

RLMCG817 - roadhog's hot links address the unit's tranny drive belt changeout, not your deck drive belt.
Look in the cavity under your tilting seat. get the full model & serial # off the ID plate. go to http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Public.do, enter the required data and download owner's maual/parts manual for your machine.
In the owner's manual you will find instructions on how to replace the deck belt. The parts list will give you needed item numbers. DO NOT get replacement aftermarket parts for this job.
Check the condition of ALL involved pulleys, bearings, pivoting brackets and related tension springs. Repair replace as needed. Install new deck drive belt. IMPORTANT - next step: level deck both front to back and side to side per manual. When finished deck front will be a bit lower than back. Measure from blade undersides, not deck shell edges.
Proper deck attitude, good pulleys and new OEM belt should put you back in good order. lastly, chk with cub dealer to see if your tractor was involved with a bad deck idler brkt spring fix - correct as necessary.
good luck
rcbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
RLMCG817
RLMCG817

MTF Member # 37822

Thank you sir. I will get the info and do another search. That pulley remains stuck however. IF I can get past that I know I can do the rest correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.