How to weld on galvanized angle iron - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM   post #1 of 24
mustangpat65
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 48307
Default How to weld on galvanized angle iron

I am very new to welding and bought a Hobart 140 mig. I am trying to weld some 1/4" galvanized angle iron together. I ground the galvanized off with an angle grinder but cannot get a good consistent bacon sound while welding. It sputters and crackles like crazy. I am using 40 wire speed and 4 on the power. What am I doing wrong?
mustangpat65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM   post #2 of 24
MrGiggles
TE Writer

MTF Member # 30161
Default Re: How to weld on galvanized angle iron

Welding galvanized releases a toxic gas IIRC.
Husqvarna 50 Special, 20" and 16" bars
Stihl 066 Chainsaw, 25" and 20" bars
Jonsered 2252 Autotune, 18" bar
1999 Kawasaki Bayou 220 ATV
Collection still growing.
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 PM   post #3 of 24
TMM
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39078

i can't help you much with your welding issue, but i want to remind anyone who may read this of the danger of welding galvanized steel. the zinc galvanization will burn and vaporize, and can make you extremely sick if you inhale the vapor! you seem to be on the right track with the angle grinder to take all that stuff off. but it will still heat up and burn if there's anything left near the joint.

my best suggestion for your welding issue is the thoroughly clean a scrap piece and weld on it, messing with your settings until you get it right.

tmm
TMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 PM   post #4 of 24
ShovelJockey
MTF Member

MTF Member # 62096

You are better off getting some bare angle and painting it. Galvanized iron is **** near impossible to weld as well as extremely dangerous to your health. Dont do it. Your life is more important than whatever you are trying to make.
ShovelJockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 PM   post #5 of 24
gravely-power
Banned!

MTF Member # 36529

Typical response from youngsters that galvanized welding kill you. HORSE PUCKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good ventilation and common sense will allow you to weld it. What amp setting are you using? What type of wire? What gas mixture?
And anyone of you nay-says take umbrage, I will defend my position to the death!!!
Been there! seen it! Done it!
gravely-power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM   post #6 of 24
ShovelJockey
MTF Member

MTF Member # 62096

Ive been welding for 16 years and it is extremely difficult, but I can do it as well. The OP said in his first sentence he is "very new to welding." Personally, I believe those who answered you couldnt weld galvanized were just trying to protect the gentleman from making himself very sick.

Besides that, galvanized material is a terrible way to learn how to lay a good bead.

Everyones got their own way. This rounds on me.
ShovelJockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM   post #7 of 24
gravely-power
Banned!

MTF Member # 36529

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShovelJockey View Post
Ive been welding for 16 years and it is extremely difficult, but I can do it as well. The OP said in his first sentence he is "very new to welding." Personally, I believe those who answered you couldnt weld galvanized were just trying to protect the gentleman from making himself very sick.

Besides that, galvanized material is a terrible way to learn how to lay a good bead.

Everyones got their own way. This rounds on me.
I agree with you.

I will also lay dollars to donuts that the other posters don't even own a welder!
It's time to start helping these posters with their concerns and stop crying Chicken Little!
gravely-power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 PM   post #8 of 24
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Here's a good on-topic read.
http://www.sperkoengineering.com/htm...Galvanized.pdf
Old 06-21-2011, 10:19 PM   post #9 of 24
DoubleD
MTF Member

MTF Member # 30452

Are you using flux core or just wire.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 PM   post #10 of 24
mla2ofus
Old Stonebreaker

MTF Member # 138

Usually if I have to weld galvy I use the stick welder. Much easier to burn thru the zinc and I generally have a big fan going to blow the fumes away from me. When a youngster I had to weld conveyor frames inside an 8' galvy culvert along w/ an older welder. We were trading rides to work and as soon as we left the job he pulled in to a C-store for, I figured , a 6 pak. He came out w/ two qts. of whole milk. Said to drink the whole qt. He explained the calcium in the milk absorbs the zinc in your body. It worked for me, no zinc flu. This was 41 yrs ago.
Mike
mla2ofus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 11:18 PM   post #11 of 24
cub2900
Josh

MTF Member # 33095

Your gas, settings, and wire speed are important, but I'm also wondering if you have cleaned the galv off completely. It takes a bit to grind through it. You'll acutally see a slight color change when the galv is all the way off the metal. Once gone, it isn't really any different than welding on regular mild steel. Thats when speed, temp, and gas come into play. What these guys say about the fumes from burning galvinized metal is true. It happened to me last summer and once it happens, you won't ever do it again. But, if you are going to be dedicated to learning, I think that learning the hard way can sometimes make you much better when it comes to the easy stuff Take pride in your undertakings.

Good luck. Oh, post so pics so we can help more.
cub2900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 AM   post #12 of 24
tiretrx
JD Parts Collector

MTF Member # 13571

Honestly, I see both sides here. I have welded galvanize numerous times. I feel it is safe to do, with proper ventilation. On the other hand, I would not recommend it for the beginning welder. There's already a number of things to think about when you first start out, why tack on to the degree of difficulty?

The link Drake posted is an excellent information source. Read as much as possible, ask experienced welders questions, and practice all safety procedures.

One thing I'd like to add, proper ventilation, no matter the material, should always be implemented. In my opinion, it is the most overlooked safety hazard with weekend welders, and one I've foolishly been guilty of in the past. I knew better, no excuse. Zinc-oxide is far from the only harmful fume that can be inhaled from welding.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 AM   post #13 of 24
JRC0528
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 21688

I've welded galv steel a few times with my lincoln 140A MIG. I usually bump up the heat a bit, bump up the shield gas 30-50%, and if necessary play with the feed speed a bit.

The biggest thing to remember is DON'T BREATH THAT FLUFFY WHITE SMOKE!!!! Google 'metal fume fever' to get a good idea what breathing it will do to you... not likely you've ever been that sick! I've never done a lot at one time, just a few minutes of welding it here & there, so I've never gotten sick from it. Just remember as with any welding to have adequate ventilation so as to avoid breathing the fumes.

Many a man in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl!
-- Stephen Leacock on the danger of infatuation
JRC0528 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM   post #14 of 24
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

One of my worst "lessons" about welding was when I learned the hard way what inhaling that white "smoke" from galvanized steel when its welded or heated will do to you!..

I was welding sheet metal onto my rotted out trucks floors,and was doing it outside with no real ventilation,and being cooped up in the cab,even with the doors wide open,I got a good dose of the fumes--soon my intestines were squirnming like a bucket full of snakes,and I got the wirst cramps I ever had--the next two days I spent mostly sitting on the toilet--had the runs and couldn't eat anything without agony!...finally the third day I felt much better,after a guy I knew told me what I did and told me to "go drink a milk shake or two"...

Now if I use galvanized sheet metal to patch rust holes I am sure to grind off the zinc first,and put a box fan near the welding area--even doing that,I still have got some symptoms !...I like using galvanized because it will not rust in my lifetime,(excepting where its been welded ) and you can find it free at the dump often in the form of shelving or heating ducts,stove pipe,etc...but I tend to use pop rivets more now than weld it...I found a stick welder with 6011 works the best on it too,its harder to weld it with a MIG weldrer..it brazes nicely to,but the smoke can still get ya!...

Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 PM   post #15 of 24
TORO1132RER
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 59825

Ancient welding books teach one that galvanized steel is just the zinc coating and one removes this in the area to be welded. Galvanized steel has been around for over 100 years now; it is the coating and not the base steel. It has been known too that Zinc melts before Steel, this was known before any man now alive.

I mentional this not to appear as a smart bum; but because of the few odd replies above.

One safely removes the dangerous lower melting point Zinc in the areas to be welded, thus one eliminates the toxic Zinc fumes.

The same goes if the Steel is coated with toxic other coatings, you remove them in safe way and thus the welding process does not burn off the nasty fumes.

If one welds something that is galvanized in the weld area, the zinc melts and goes into fumes and one can get sick. It is a health issue.

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/htm...Galvanized.pdf
TORO1132RER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.