Design for a homemade front end loader (FEL) - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 AM   post #1 of 68
Chuck21387
Outside workin'

MTF Member # 10217
Default Design for a homemade front end loader (FEL)

Here's a few cad drawings of my loader design. Enjoy, use, build one for yourself!!

MTD 995 with 50" deck, 3 point hitch, and grader box

Husqvarna commercial ZTR with 60" deck (mowing machine)

Last edited by Chuck21387; 05-31-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Chuck21387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 AM   post #2 of 68
Chuck21387
Outside workin'

MTF Member # 10217
Default Re: Design for a homemade front end loader (FEL)

That should give you a good start :-)

Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM   post #3 of 68
DeereHunter82
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 38063
Garage

Nice work, looks like a very well designed loader.
DeereHunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 PM   post #4 of 68
4x4_Welder

MTF Member # 45875

That looks pretty sweet.
Any chance of getting those in full page size? I think you can even attach them in the thread as PDFs.
4x4_Welder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 PM   post #5 of 68
locknut
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6727

Looks nice.I would think that 4x4 1/4" wall would be way heavy and way overkill for a garden tractor though.
locknut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 01:01 AM   post #6 of 68
TUDOR
9000+ Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 28463

Quote:
Originally Posted by locknut View Post
Looks nice.I would think that 4x4 1/4" wall would be way heavy and way overkill for a garden tractor though.

Try 2 x 4 x 1/8" tubing with 1/4" plate at the stress points and the mounting holes in the arm ends could be schedule 40 pipe welded into holes drilled through the tubing, rather than 1/4"plate extensions, to better support the loads.

Your cross member isn't large enough to deal with the wracking of the arms from asymetrical loads on the cutting edge. Try 4 x 4 x 1/8" tubing there, and watch your hood clearance.

The attachment of the posts to the subframe is a little worrisome, and a better look at the subframe and its attaching points would be helpful. Without a brace from the top of your posts to the front of the tractor, the torque load at the bottom of the posts will be enormous, about 6' times the load in the bucket, or 600 ft. lb. for every 100 lb payload.

The subframe is the foundation for the loader. If it won't handle all the forces generated by the use of the loader, most light GTs will have a problem dealing with what's left over. I broke my MF12H in half 3 times before I figured that out. That was 30 years ago. I only had one similar problem on my MF1655 in 23 years and that was laziness on my part. I knew the problem was there and didn't address it.

There are many different forces acting in several different directions at the same time with a FEL. The lifting forces meet at the front axle pivot.

Your arms, as drawn out, will be good for about 1.5 tons in the bucket, if you have enough counterweight. The post mount, only about 200 lb............. maybe.

Good basic design. Just needs some tweaking.

Check this thread for more info.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=175389

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys.

Last edited by TUDOR; 06-01-2011 at 01:17 AM.
TUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM   post #7 of 68
Chuck21387
Outside workin'

MTF Member # 10217

I have trouble accepting criticism, but i'll do my best. Thanks for the tips. This design is no where near finished, that was just something i whipped up in a couple hours that morning.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:51 PM   post #8 of 68
4x4_Welder

MTF Member # 45875

It's a starting point, and that's what matters. I'll probably take that basic design with some mods like a Bobcat-style quick attach system instead of permanent bucket, and maybe even a drive-in quick attach for the frame.
Lawn tractors aren't really universal, so everyone will have to figure out how best to integrate this with their tractor. Don't worry about that part too much, especially on free plans.
4x4_Welder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 AM   post #9 of 68
TUDOR
9000+ Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 28463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck21387 View Post
I have trouble accepting criticism, but i'll do my best. Thanks for the tips. This design is no where near finished, that was just something i whipped up in a couple hours that morning.
Putting a project in a thread invites comments and criticisms. Especially when you prefice the post with this statement:

Enjoy, use, build one for yourself!!

This statement indicates that the design is complete and ready for someone to fabricate and use, not something that was "whipped up in a couple of hours" and is actually in need of much revision to make it safe and effective.

My previous post falls under the heading of "hints and guidance", not criticism.

You're welcome to the tips and there are more if you're interested. (Sure wish I could do CAD work!)

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys.

Last edited by TUDOR; 06-02-2011 at 03:43 AM.
TUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 PM   post #10 of 68
Chuck21387
Outside workin'

MTF Member # 10217

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUDOR View Post
Putting a project in a thread invites comments and criticisms. Especially when you prefice the post with this statement:

Enjoy, use, build one for yourself!!

This statement indicates that the design is complete and ready for someone to fabricate and use, not something that was "whipped up in a couple of hours" and is actually in need of much revision to make it safe and effective.

My previous post falls under the heading of "hints and guidance", not criticism.

You're welcome to the tips and there are more if you're interested. (Sure wish I could do CAD work!)
Well you're obviously the boss of PROPER AND SAFE front end loader, so i'll just let you post your homemade designs with detailed drawings. I won't post about it again. Feel safe everyone, i won't be posting here anymore thanks to TUDOR

Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM   post #11 of 68
dancote
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 20867

Quote:
Well you're obviously the boss of PROPER AND SAFE front end loader, so i'll just let you post your homemade designs with detailed drawings. I won't post about it again. Feel safe everyone, i won't be posting here anymore thanks to TUDOR
Please don't leave. I don't think anyone's attacking you personally. You offered up a design and a member pointed out some areas that might need additional consideration.

One of the (many) things I've learned throughout my life is that sometimes getting to a final/workable solution to a problem is an iterative process.

You put up a "strawman" solution and you got constructive input. Incorporate that input into your next design iteration. The process repeats itself and, in the end, will probably result in something useful to the group.

We value your contribution to this forum.

Regards,

Dan
dancote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 PM   post #12 of 68
kentucky wildcat

MTF Member # 49775

Tudor, thanks for the input. Not knowing about the multiplying forces an FEL produces could have left me building "as drawn".

Chuck, thanks for the prelim drawings. I hope to see the various issues addressed to make a better design. For my purposes the build could be lighter, say a 500 lb lift. I'm not sure I even feel comfortable with that weight on a JD 314 or Simplicity 3012, as would be my current options.
kentucky wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 PM   post #13 of 68
huffy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 58837

Quote:
Don't you think you're overreacting just a touch? Do you really think that just because you drew it up on a computer your design is beyond reproach????? Tudor's comments, especially those regarding the weakness of your subframe attachment method, are valid and you should consider them rather than pouting. But, if you prefer that we all just say how wonderful your drawings are, and that the design must be flawless just because you drew it up on a computer, we can do that. Of course, you'll likely end up with a cracked frame or have the fel break off under a load, but I guess it's your right to run that risk if you want.
huffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 PM   post #14 of 68
ddechri
MTF Member

MTF Member # 51076

I thought the whole purpose of the forum thing was to share and collaborate so everyone can benefit from the experiences of all.

Dan's suggestions are right on. Having personally performed the structural analysis on New Holland Skid Steer Loaders and some of the older compact tractor loaders, the critical stress points are the tie-in to the frame and the loader boom cross tube. The idea behind the frame tie-in is to triangulate and truss everything so that your primary loads are tension & compression, not bending. That's why most loaders have that diagonal member from the front of the tractor frame to the top of the towers. The cross tube does indeed take all the racking in the boom. The more section you have the better. Big diameter, thin wall is best. Then the challenge is tying it into the loader arms with out creating weld fatigue points. Anyone want to post up some sketches of stuff they are working on, I'd be happy to comment. I don't get to work on loaders anymore (that engineering is done at a different location now), but I still do the same thing on other machines everyday.

- Dave
'70s Wheel Horse C120-8 w/RD 42" Deck w/tiller.
'79 Jeep CJ-7 & '98 Dodge 12V CTD Quad Cab 4x4
ddechri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 AM   post #15 of 68
evo803
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39797

Chuck you should rethink your decision, TUDOR is a tremendous asset to have as a sounding board for projects his knowledge and experience is amazing.He as always presented advise to people in a positive way . It is a shame that you reacted this way , but I would bet he would continue to help you to fine tune your first revision of your loader design if you chose to finish what you have started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.