Best tractor for less than $4000 - Page 3 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 AM   post #31 of 63
AndySKane
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60203
Default Re: Best tractor for less than $4000

Nice price, $4550. List on a new Conquest is $5200 for a 23/46. I'd love to get it for mid 4's. $1700 difference between the two. Is it worth it? I'll have to see them both side by side, along with the ZT3000 and let the salesman sell me.

Have you had any problems or regrets with your Broadmoor?

I'll let you know about the root clearance.

Conquest Features
•24-gross hp† Briggs & Stratton Professional Series™ or 23-gross hp† Kohler Courage™ V-twin engine
•Foot-controlled automatic transmission
•18" turning radius
•46" or 52" Free Floating™ mower deck with full-width rollers
•Infinite height-of-cut adjustment
•Quick Hitch™ attachment removal system
•Padded, soft-grip steering wheel
•Easy-adjust high-back seat
•Low-Effort Optional Power Steering
•Cruise control
•Four headlight illumination
•Automatic Controlled Traction™ and differential lock
•10-gauge steel frame
•Heavy-duty attachment lift lever
•4-gallon fuel tank
•16" front / 23" rear tires
•12 volt DC outlet
Retail Prices Starting At
$5,199 **

Broadmoor Features
•Choose from 20- and 22-gross hp* V-Twin engines
•Automatic transmission
•Foot-controlled acceleration with cruise control
•10-gauge welded steel frame and steel front bumper
•Cast-iron front axle with 1" steering spindles
•Automatic Controlled Traction™
•Tight, 18" turning radius
•44", 46" and 52" Free Floating™ mower options with full-width rollers
•Quick Hitch™ attachment removal system
•15" front / large 22" rear drive tires
•12 volt DC outlet
Retail Prices Starting At
$3,499 **
AndySKane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM   post #32 of 63
8086bruce
4K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 49980
Garage

I'll give a second nod to the JD X320. Very nice tractor.

54" Quick hitch blade
47" Quick hitch blower with side plates
8086bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 AM   post #33 of 63
ezliving4ume
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 32166

I don't own a broadmoor, just a big fan of the simplicity system. I own a 1983 6200 series. If you look in my sign it has images, click the images to see pictures. For me the broadmoor wouldn't work. I need to till, snowthrow and mow with mine. Thats why the conquest was of interest. The killer for me on the conquest was the extra attachments cost. I couldn't afford the tiller and thrower

Guess i COULD (hate that word) have purchased the conquest for mowing duties and kept the 6216 for snow and gardening this year. Then buy a tiller or thrower next year etc. Making the switch take two to three years but, the 6216 is a beast of a machine with a great cut so I would just be purchasing to purchase I guess.

If you do like the conquest make sure you get the power steering, it makes a big differences in how the tractor feels and reacts to tight turning.

ZTR's I've heard they don't like hills, but don't know for sure.
The LandLord
Why Purchase Simplicity:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...6380&highlight
ezliving4ume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 01:29 PM   post #34 of 63
AndySKane
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezliving4ume View Post
I don't own a broadmoor, just a big fan of the simplicity system. I own a 1983 6200 series. If you look in my sign it has images, click the images to see pictures. For me the broadmoor wouldn't work. I need to till, snowthrow and mow with mine. Thats why the conquest was of interest. The killer for me on the conquest was the extra attachments cost. I couldn't afford the tiller and thrower

Guess i COULD (hate that word) have purchased the conquest for mowing duties and kept the 6216 for snow and gardening this year. Then buy a tiller or thrower next year etc. Making the switch take two to three years but, the 6216 is a beast of a machine with a great cut so I would just be purchasing to purchase I guess.

If you do like the conquest make sure you get the power steering, it makes a big differences in how the tractor feels and reacts to tight turning.

ZTR's I've heard they don't like hills, but don't know for sure.
I stopped at the Simplicity dealer. He had all the units in stock. On the Broadmoor deck the position is either up or down. Up raises the rollers about 3 inches off the ground. the deck height itself can also go up or down relative to the rollers. The Conquest deck works the same but it is a heavier deck and has a reinforcing lip in the front. I'm hesitant on this deck because of the full width constant contact rollers. It looks like they would be better for a more manicured lawn than mine. I ruled out the Conquest as I will be doing only mowing and don't need the extra tractor beefiness.

He also as the Snapper, Toro, Allis Chalmers, and Ferris lines.

He showed me one Snapper which was interesting. It looked cheaply made with a simple stamped deck but an electic lift. Odd combination.

Intriguing are the zero turns. I looked at the Simplicity ZT3000 and the Simplicity ZT3500. Both are $4000 but the ZT3000 as a weaker stamped deck but a pivoting front axle. The ZT3500 has a super beefy fabricated deck but a fixed front axle and no anti scalp wheels on the deck. I'm not sure how this would work on my lawn, need to think on it.

He also had a 44" deck Ferris commercial zero turn with a beefy deck, pivoting front end and dual hydros. Super nice but $5000.

I'm going to go back Saturday morning and decide. Boy, at a multi line dealer one can sure see some interesting variety.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:33 PM   post #35 of 63
7sleeper
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33172

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySKane View Post
I stopped at the Simplicity dealer. He had all the units in stock. On the Broadmoor deck the position is either up or down. Up raises the rollers......

I'm going to go back Saturday morning and decide. Boy, at a multi line dealer one can sure see some interesting variety.
Sure sounds like the right dealer. I would not only look at them but drive around the lot to see witch ones "feels" good.
I would still look for a "little more" in quality.

7sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM   post #36 of 63
ezliving4ume

MTF Member # 32166

Heck, drive them all! Feel is a big part of it, are the controls in the right place, for you, are the peddles easy to push etc. You only get to do this once every, how many years, not often. O and will this dealer take care of problems and maint, etc. Do you like him? Good luck andy, let us know what you dicide
The LandLord
Why Purchase Simplicity:
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 PM   post #37 of 63
SonnyT
Hoosier Born & Raised!

MTF Member # 21893
Garage

I would get a used GT for cheap and when it gets beatup then you won't be out much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6000 View Post
Pass the popcorn...this is going to be good...
Here David, you can help me with mine. Sorry I am late!

SonnyT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM   post #38 of 63
olpalbud
MTF Member

MTF Member # 56681

I have similar mowing conditions to what you are describing. I too thought I was done with buying used machines only to have to fix them (when I shouldve been mowing) or replace them. Mowers are like cars though, you drive them off the lot and they immediately lose value (aka your hard earned money). I decided that I would rather take my chances buying a quality used machine and risk getting screwed than buying an inferior new machine and know I was screwed. It took about 8 months of looking but I finally found a 04 Prestige from a dealer with a warranty (albeit short). Best decision I have made up till now with regards to lawn equipment. This has the hydraulic lift, so when I get to the roots ( which I have many of) I just use that to get the deck high enough.
The only down side to this machine is that when it gets stuck (in mud) it is a bear to get out because it is so freakin heavy. But, it may not be a downside because its a great reason to upgrade to the 4x4 9thats what I tell my wife anyway)
olpalbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM   post #39 of 63
Chris223
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 24795

I wouldn't call the X320 an "entry level" tractor. That's the 100 Series.
- Brinly 42" Lawn Sweeper
- John Deere Single Bucket Holder
Chris223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM   post #40 of 63
AndySKane
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60203

Well I bought a mower tonight and will pick it up Saturday morning. I concluded that since I only use the machine for mowing a zero turn will be best for me.

I bought a Ferris IS1500Z 48 inch deck and 21 HP Kawasaki engine. It was used with only 20 hours on it but super clean and looked new. I bought it from a Ferris dealer and he gave me a full year warranty. New machines come with two year warranties but Ferris does not allow them to be transfered. The machine is one year old. I paid $5000 which is the new price of the smaller IS500Z, but $1000 more than I set out to pay for a new mower. What sold me on the IS1500Z was the 48" deck which juts out a few inches from even with the wheels unlike the 44" which is even with the wheels. Also the IS500Z has a B&S Professional engine and I preferred the Kawasaki. The 1500 has Hydro fans and the 500 does not even though Ferris' website says they do. Incidentally Ferris is owned by Briggs & Stratton.

I haven't used a zero turn yet but to me it makes sense if all one does is use the machine for mowing. One can buy very decent ones from Simplicity, Cub, Husqvarna, Snapper, or Toro for about $4000 and entry level commercial ones like Ferris for $5000. The better zero turns, including those from Simplicity have extremely heavy duty fabricated decks.

A most interesting one is a $4000 machine from Cub. It is a true zero turn but has a steering wheel with linkage to synchronize the turn with the back hydro powered wheel. My local dealer, a True Value store, said he sells more of these than the traditional 2500 series. I didn't want another Cub at this time. Interesting also is the Cub 2500 series, traditional tractor. It has an automotive type hood that hinges at the back. It makes any engine maintenance very difficult.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 PM   post #41 of 63
ezliving4ume

MTF Member # 32166

Andy, I don't know how much we helped,lol but congrads on the new mower. The kaw. Is a great motor from what I've heard.
The LandLord
Why Purchase Simplicity:
Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM   post #42 of 63
AndySKane
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60203

Quote:
Originally Posted by olpalbud View Post
I have similar mowing conditions to what you are describing. I too thought I was done with buying used machines only to have to fix them (when I shouldve been mowing) or replace them. Mowers are like cars though, you drive them off the lot and they immediately lose value (aka your hard earned money). I decided that I would rather take my chances buying a quality used machine and risk getting screwed than buying an inferior new machine and know I was screwed. It took about 8 months of looking but I finally found a 04 Prestige from a dealer with a warranty (albeit short). Best decision I have made up till now with regards to lawn equipment. This has the hydraulic lift, so when I get to the roots ( which I have many of) I just use that to get the deck high enough.
The only down side to this machine is that when it gets stuck (in mud) it is a bear to get out because it is so freakin heavy. But, it may not be a downside because its a great reason to upgrade to the 4x4 9thats what I tell my wife anyway)
I looked at the Conquest and it is one tough machine. The Prestige is the next step up and I'll bet you have a dandy. I didn't look at the Prestige. Does yours have the full roller floating deck? If so do you have any problems raising it above the roots or any problems dragging it over less than pristine lawn parts?

New prestiges weigh 725 lbs. two wheel drive and 815 four wheel drive. I don't know if this is with or without deck, probably without.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:18 PM   post #43 of 63
AndySKane
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezliving4ume View Post
Andy, I don't know how much we helped,lol but congrads on the new mower. The kaw. Is a great motor from what I've heard.
You helped a lot. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 PM   post #44 of 63
Dan Facette
My new sears craftsman

MTF Member # 56254
Garage

Get a GT ,,,, HERE the one I just bought just under 4000 ,,,HEAVY GAUGE 54 inch cut with electric lift ,,26 hp. very nice ride ..Craftsman PGt pro 9000

Dan Facette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 PM   post #45 of 63
AndySKane
MTF Member

MTF Member # 60203

My brother bought an X300 earlier this year and he loves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.