Craftsman walk-behind won't stay running - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 PM   post #1 of 8
KBrenz
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42143
Default Craftsman walk-behind won't stay running

I have a craftsman walk-behind that will start fine but won't stay running. It has a new plug, air filter, and good gas in it. If you keep pushing the primer bulb it will run but will die if you don't push it for about a minute. Then when it does stay running it dies if you increase throttle. Is that just a fuel filter/delivery problem or is carb bad and need to be rebuilt. The motor is a 6.6hp model #143.976602 D.O.M. 7072K.

JD STX38
KBrenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 04:16 PM   post #2 of 8
H-D
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 34425
Default Re: Craftsman walk-behind won't stay running

An easy first try is to drain all the gas & refill with a mixture of SeaFoam & fresh gas at the recommended ratio. This could save you a carburetor rebuild. Older ethanol gas is only suitable for parts washing.
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 04:33 PM   post #3 of 8
tomw0
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 34922

I generally drop the float bowl when I have problems like you describe. Most times I have found gummy deposits in the bottom of the bowl. They can plug a pickup hole built into the side of the carburetor down in the float bowl, about the size of a small paperclip, or the pickup on the bottom of the boss that you screw the float bowl bolt into. The needle and seat can also get gummed up and then the fuel level will be too low in the carburetor, causing the engine to run poorly if at all. I would get some carburetor cleaner spray and make sure all the passages you can detect are clean. The fuel is drawn up the 'boss', and into an emulsion tube {a tube with holes in the sides} that mixes the liquid fuel with air drawn into the area to start to break the liquid up so it will get drawn into the intake as close to a gas as it can be made {cheaply..}. The whole thing can get gummed up, and you have to disassemble it to clean it. The symptoms make me think that the fuel is not getting into that area because of gum on the bottom or side hole blocking the flow. It is in the bowl, or the bulb would have no effect.

What you are doing with the primer bulb depends on the model. Some pressurize the float bowl, and force fuel through a passage up the the air filter and dribble fuel on the filter element. The older ones actually squirt fuel into the intake when the bulb is pressed.
tomw0 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 AM   post #4 of 8
KBrenz
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42143

HD, I already use sea-foam with my gas in everything. I have same gas in my rider and its running fine.

JD STX38
Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 AM   post #5 of 8
KBrenz
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42143

Tom thanks for the detailed info. I'll look into what you said the next few days after work and post if it doesn't help.

JD STX38
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM   post #6 of 8
KBrenz
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42143

I pulled the bowl on the carb off and it was full of gas. I drained it out and sprayed carb cleaner in it and put it back together. Now I can get it to stay running with an occasional cough but the power is very lacking. Its like its on half throttle when its on full and barely running on minimun throttle. Any ideas?

JD STX38
Old 05-28-2011, 09:22 PM   post #7 of 8
Pocketraisins
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 56714
Garage

I had a Poulan that did the same thing. I too dropped the bowl and hit it with carb cleaner and checked the float. I got a little gunk out of the bowl and blew out the orifice in the bowl nut. Still ran like junk.

I found out the primer bulb had a pinhole in it and was causing it to suck a little more air than it should and threw off the mixture and barely ran. It seemed fine when priming because my finger was over the hole and sealed it. I replaced the primer bulb and it ran like a champ!!

Cub Cadet LT1050 w/Johnny Bucket Jr./MTD Snowblower
JD 155C (YAY! Deck finally rebuilt and running!)
Generac 8000 Generator
Wheelhorse 416-H(Backwards Pheonix)
2-Wheelhorse C-101
Wheelhorse 520-H (Big Red)
7071, 7024 w/F engine, 8241AE, 10520 Lawn Boy, 8605A Scamp
Gravely 20-G "Almost There"
Pocketraisins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 08:18 PM   post #8 of 8
KBrenz
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42143

That sounds like an idea with the bulb. It is running better now, messed with the adjustment screws on the throttle linkage and that made a difference. still stutters a tiny bit and have to use the primer bulb to keep it running the first few seconds so i'll look at replacing the bulb. Thank you for your help!

JD STX38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.