Is there a "fix" for the B&S 18.5 HP Head Gasket? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 04-22-2011, 08:17 PM   post #1 of 6
jerry_nj
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 1077
Default Is there a "fix" for the B&S 18.5 HP Head Gasket?

A couple of days back I resurrected a thread I started in 2009 when I replaced the Head Gasket in my 2005 (about 200 hours) B&S 18.5 Intek cylinder engine. It was burning oil badly. It started by blowing smoke when I engaged the mower. In the end it blew visible smoke all the time. The head gasket replacement cured the problem, if only temporarily. The replacement now has about 100 hours on it and it started blowing smoke when the mower deck is engaged. I restate the problem here under a subject that may attract the knowledge/experience that I need.

I have read this engine has a history of head gasket failures. It seems to me that B&S would come up with a stronger gasket or something to protect its "good name". Has anyone seen anything on a repair that would last more that a few tens of hours?

Is there any advice on how to check the web (B&S Web Support) to see if the company has taken any steps to mitigate this very poor design?

1993 Craftsman GT6000 18 HP B&S twin L-head 44" 3-blade deck, - Avatar and duty GT
2005 Craftsman DYT4000 42" 2-blade deck - B&S 18.5 Intek - new head gasket twice in 500 hr. Was hit by a Pine tree blown down by Hurricane Sandy Oct.2012. But I now have the PYT9000 and a real mowing machine
2011 Craftsman PYT9000 B&S 26 HP Professional and 46" 2-blade deck. Wife said "ANOTHER TRACTOR?"
I replied "Yep"
jerry_nj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 PM   post #2 of 6
larrybl
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 37470
Garage
Default Re: Is there a "fix" for the B&S 18.5 HP Head Gasket?

Not sure about the 18.5 Intek or B&S Web Support. I took both my 18's to a machine shop to have the cyl's bored. I don't see why not let a machine shop check the Cyl and head fit, and make sure you torque to spec, then run the engine up to operating temp, let cool and re-torque.
larrybl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 PM   post #3 of 6
ben2go
MTF New Poster

MTF Member # 11920

A check to see how true the surfaces are would help.Years ago,when I was in vocational school,we used something to coat the head gasket on an old big single Wisconsin engine.

Ahhhh,here it is.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 AM   post #4 of 6
DTLMG
Master Service Technician

MTF Member # 42277

Proper Torque specs and torqueing sequence is essential. This should take care of the problem

Make sure your red wire goes to positive, and your black to ground

Master Senior Service Technician
30+yrs in Outdoor Power Equip Industry
DTLMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 AM   post #5 of 6
jerry_nj
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 1077

I did take some care to torque in sequence, but I never checked again after running the engine. I thought I'd check it a day back (ya, gasket is likely already destroyed) but noted I have to remove the exhaust pipe to get to some of the bolts. That and the fact I couldn't fine the torque sequence or correct torque lead me to just "test" the bolts I could reach and all seemed tight.

Remember, the engine gasket failed out of the factory with about 200 hours on it. I have head this is common with this particular engine. i.e., a bad/weak design. Or, the factory isn't installing the head correctly on some engines in this line.

1993 Craftsman GT6000 18 HP B&S twin L-head 44" 3-blade deck, - Avatar and duty GT
2005 Craftsman DYT4000 42" 2-blade deck - B&S 18.5 Intek - new head gasket twice in 500 hr. Was hit by a Pine tree blown down by Hurricane Sandy Oct.2012. But I now have the PYT9000 and a real mowing machine
2011 Craftsman PYT9000 B&S 26 HP Professional and 46" 2-blade deck. Wife said "ANOTHER TRACTOR?"
I replied "Yep"
jerry_nj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 PM   post #6 of 6
38racing
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 25899

Proper torque is essential but it won't make up for a faulty design. It's the bolt pattern that results in the failure.
38racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.