LT2000 - engine dies in reverse - help - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 PM   post #1 of 7
mroman59
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 8787
Default LT2000 - engine dies in reverse - help

I picked up a 2006 Craftsman LT2000 lawnmower and I was cutting grass today. It has an automatic transmission, hydrostatic drive. I noticed that when the cutting blades are engaged and I go to throw in reverse the engine dies, but if the blades are not engaged, no problem going into reverse.

Is this a saftey feature for many Craftsman lawnmowers? I would think that is a poor desigin if so, because a home owner does not want to be slowed down by such a mechanism. If every time I have to disengage the mower blades just to go in reverse then that defeats the purpose of cutting.

Help is appreciated.

MR
mroman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 07:30 PM   post #2 of 7
Alan Lloys
TECH Exchange Contributor!

MTF Member # 32845
Default Re: LT2000 - engine dies in reverse - help

That is a common safety feature on all newer riding mowers.
Too many people backing up over their kids.

I think most of the mowers has a way of overriding it though. Typically a key position, a switch that you have to hold down or a separate switch for override.

Hope this helps.
Alan Lloys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 PM   post #3 of 7
G. L. Grumpy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21069

Yeah Safety feature. My JD has a small button near col on dash. You just have to push as you hit reverse pedal/lever. Don't have to hold all that time, but just press once at beginning of reverse move. It's only when pto is on. Also believe is not easy to bypass like old time switches were in beginning. Might even be a small computer box I'm thinking that keeps eye on all the switch positions before allowing use. You get used to it. Been using mine for 5 yrs and no problem now.
Speedex
Wheelhorse
MTD 990
G. L. Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 AM   post #4 of 7
mroman59
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 8787

Thanks for the info. I figured safety feature. I'll have to learn to live with it. Howerver, I would like to eliminate the switch part that stops the tractor when you get off the seat. Has anyone tried to do that? I notice to possible options without cutting wires.

The weight of the person on the seat causes a switch to open, which must be under the seat bracket, where the wiring goes into. One could put a couple of scews into this metal bracket on each side, keeping it compressed and acting open all the time.

Second, one could disconnect the wiring from that bracket underneath the seat and maybe use wiring to insert into the connector to make the complete circuit. I will put a meter on the connector to see if I can complete a circuit, but I dont want to ruin anything, so the first idea sounds a little more safer.

Any help is appreciated.
mroman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 AM   post #5 of 7
tjeffers
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 468

Actually, just turn the blades off, engage and lock the parking brake. Your mower should still run now when you get off the seat.
Terry
tjeffers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM   post #6 of 7
Pocketraisins
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 56714
Garage

I personally dont recomend doing that just for the simple reason. Its just as easy to set the parking brake and get off. It is in place to keep from leaving the PTO on and getting off with the blades going.

Not saying that you would do this, but its too easy for your mind to wander and stick your foot (or hand) under the deck when it is engaged. My father almost did the hand thing many years ago on a tractor NOT safety equipped.

(I see tjeffers beat me to it, lol!)

Cub Cadet LT1050 w/Johnny Bucket Jr./MTD Snowblower
JD 155C (YAY! Deck finally rebuilt and running!)
Generac 8000 Generator
Wheelhorse 416-H(Backwards Pheonix)
2-Wheelhorse C-101
Wheelhorse 520-H (Big Red)
7071, 7024 w/F engine, 8241AE, 10520 Lawn Boy, 8605A Scamp
Gravely 20-G "Almost There"
Pocketraisins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 06:20 PM   post #7 of 7
engine2quarters
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 24003

Removal of safety switches is really frowned upon. They're there for a purpose, even if it is too stop the tractor from cutting your foot off while it's in gear and you decide to step off on the rght hand side of the mower.

The 'reverse shut off' problem was discussed here alot last year. I have one that does it. After a couple weeks mowing, you'll get used to it. The getting on one that doesn't have that feature, you're caught off guard. It's habit forming.
engine2quarters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.