starter generator repair - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM   post #1 of 15
dweber85rc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 57671
Default starter generator repair

Going to tear into my s/g to repair the bearings that are bad on my new 220, any tips or tricks to get this thing apart?
dweber85rc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 10:20 AM   post #2 of 15
lil ol 220
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 42712
Default Re: starter generator repair

Comes apart easy enough, getting the bronze bushing out will be tricky, if you drill it out, be careful not to damage the side plate.
Make sure to check the field coils (stuck to the inside of the outer casing) to see if they are dirty or smell like they are burnt.
On the field coil also make sure the wire that connects the coil is not broken or charred.
Same for the commutator (inside spinny part)
The other bearing will be stuck on too most likely, so it may need the standard "persuasion". Dont forget the pulley has a woodruff key, it wont come off until the screw holding the key in is loosened.
Pick up (if you dont have) some PB blaster and let it sit in the pulley/shaft crevices at least overnight or while you are waiting for the parts to come in

Good luck, let us know how you make out
Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM   post #3 of 15
dweber85rc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 57671

Well I tore it apart tonight and what had happened was the 2 of the 3 screws holding the bearing retainer had come out so it was sort of flopping around. Got the front part done but the back part has me stuck. In order to get it out, it looks like it will have to be drilled? But if I drill it I will end up drilling some of the side plate out because it looks like it was cast into the housing? If I leave it in and put it back together I have about an 1/8" play in the shaft front to back, is that normal or is that bushing shot?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM   post #4 of 15
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Is this the old Delco SG common on cast iron Briggs? Sounds like you have the bearing rear plate versus the bushing rear plate?

Some research on the SGs on my MTDs said I would need a blind bearing puller to get that bearing out of the rear plate. Since I had a spare SG with just worn brushes, I have not bought the tool.

Blind Bearing Puller
Old 04-15-2011, 08:22 PM   post #5 of 15
dweber85rc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 57671

Its on a 74 if that helps.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 PM   post #6 of 15
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

A model number and a picture might help a lot. My MTDs are all early/mid 70s so we're most likely talking the same thing.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:12 AM   post #7 of 15
dweber85rc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 57671

No it has a bushing on the rear plate, that seems like it is still in ok shape, but when I put it back together I get about 1/8" play in the shaft if I move it front to back. I can't imagine that is normal? I used to have an old cub cadet that seemed to have almost the exact same starter but I don't remember that haveing that much play in the shaft. I can't get any pictures at the moment, can't find the camera?!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:27 PM   post #8 of 15
dweber85rc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 57671

Went out and worked on it a little more and for some reason this time around I put the pulley back on and it took up all the play in the shaft after I tightened it down. That project is done!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:39 PM   post #9 of 15
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Glad to hear you are back in business. Mine were a little work getting all lined back up.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 PM   post #10 of 15
dweber85rc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 57671

Well I was not back in business for very long! The pulley was too damaged from pulling it off so it kept throwing the belt. I measured it out and bought a generic one online and realized I measured the bore too small. So I tried drilling it out but it was still a little too tight. Long story short, I boogered up the threads on the end of the shaft beyond repair so I was in search of a "new" starter/generator. I found a place locally that I could buy a whole new one for $110 minus the pulley. I knew that nearly all of the delco remy starter/gen's were pretty much identical, with the exception of some difference in the mounting holes and the rotation is different on some, but I figured I could swap enough parts around between mine and the "parts" one to be ok. So I stopped the place(a small junkyard) where I bought my 220 to see if there was anything there that would work. I found an old simplicity landlord that had one on it, and it looked pretty close to what I had on my case. The guy gave it to me for nothing! I got back and compared it to the one on the case and it looked pretty close. Hooked up the battery and grounded it out to check for the right rotation, and it was. So I bolted it up and noticed the mounting ears were different so the adjuster bracket was not long enough. Fortunately enough I had a deck lift bracket for a 400 series and bolted it on and it was close enough to work! As you can see the bracket is a little longer, but that is just fine. Then I fired it up and hooked my multimeter up to it and I got 14V at the battery when it was running. Good day for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-28-2011 046.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	155251   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-28-2011 047.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	155252  
Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM   post #11 of 15
lil ol 220
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 42712

I like your resourcefulness.
If you wanted you could most likely swap the front plate out from the broken one
Old 04-29-2011, 08:54 AM   post #12 of 15
dweber85rc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 57671

I thought about trying that eventually. I had bought new brushes for my old one so I will probably take those out and put them in this one just because. I don't think I can swap out the rear plate as this one looks like it has a bearing in the rear vs. the bronze bushing. Although I may leave well enough alone because I don't want to mess this one up like I did the last one!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM   post #13 of 15
boltonranger
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22596

Dweb -
Glad you got it going without spending 100+ bucks.
Tell me; you had a bearing in the rear part
that was only accessible on the inside?
-br
boltonranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 10:09 AM   post #14 of 15
dweber85rc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 57671

I haven't taken the "new" one apart to confirm if it has a bearing in the rear plate or not, it just looks like it does, based on the formation of the back plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM   post #15 of 15
boltonranger
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22596

Actually where I was going was
If you have a bearing that's blind on one side - you can get them out without a special puller.

What you do is fill the area behind the bearing with grease by squirting or pushing it through the center hole in the bearing (where the shaft rides)

then take a drift that is only slightly smaller in diameter that the bearing hole and put it in there and smack it (the drift) with a hammer.

The hydraulic pressure will force the bearing out.
May take more than one hit / filling.
Old trick - didn't know if you knew it.
-br
boltonranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.