Honda 4514 Timing Belt Replacement - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-12-2011, 05:52 PM   post #1 of 7
John from New Freedom
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57716
Default Honda 4514 Timing Belt Replacement

I just completed the replacement of the timing belt on my 1990 Honda 4514. I am the original owner and the belt had not been replaced in 20 years so I felt like I was mowing on borrowed time. I got an estimate of $600 for labor alone from the local Honda Power Equipment dealer. That's when I started researching doing it myself and came across this forum which provided some helpful information. Of course you can't believe everything you read. I came across one comment elsewhere which said you didn't have to remove the engine. No way is that the case. I have pretty basic mechanical skills so I thought I could share a few things I learned doing this job. First, I would not try this without a Shop Manual. My manual was issued in June, 1990 and while helpful is not perfect. The section covering engine removal indicates that the cooling fan and PTO clutch must be removed. I disconnected the PTO clutch cable from the PTO lever but left the clutch in place which worked out fine. I also left the cooling fan in place. I put a socket on the fan attachment nut to hold the crankshaft in place while removing the drive shaft bolts. The manual also says to remove the steering column screws and front floor mats which I did not do. I was nervous about removing the flywheel. I borrowed an electric impact wrench to remove the flywheel nut. That worked very well. I tryed pulling the flywheel with a 3 jawed gear puller put felt like I was exerting too much force on the flywheel perimeter. I found a tool on the internet which worked great. It is a Harmonic Balancer Puller. It is a steel yoke that bolts on to the flywheel using the driveshaft bolt holes. I was able to borrow one from Advance Auto Parts at no cost. The one I used was from PowerBuilt and even had the proper sized mounting bolts for the driveshaft mounting holes. After snugging up the yoke the flywheel popped right off with about one turn of the center puller bolt.

The old timing belt looked pretty good although there was excess slack in it and of course I replaced it after all the work to get to it. I had seen comments about the hidden water pump mounting bolt in other posts and sure enough you wouldn't know it was there by looking. It does show up in the manual diagram but would be easy to miss. You do have to use a screw driver to pry the flexible material away from the bolt to get a wrench on it but I probably only loosened it about a turn.

Well thats about it. Everything went back together. No extra parts and the Honda runs like new and I won't have to replace the belt again until I am 84.
John from New Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 06:33 PM   post #2 of 7
chann
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53039
Default Re: Honda 4514 Timing Belt Replacement

Thanks......I plan to do my 4518 within the next month.

Those are good tips. I haven't sized it up yet, but I've done it on several Japanese cars. I have air and electric impact guns, and 3 leg pullers and a harmonic balancer one. So I'm good to go.

Mine is also about 20 years old. I also have an oil leak back there, so I plan on replacing seals and gaskets on oil pump. My leak is behind the timing cover, so I'm ordering all parts.

I've been searching to a cross reference on the belt, as I'm sure it would be cheaper to put a Gates belt on it if I had the number.
chann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 PM   post #3 of 7
KJINTF
KJINTF

MTF Member # 58646

Good news sounds like I can do it myself as well
Mine is a 1996 H4518HSA - never even considered replacement of that belt
Guess I might want to consider it soon

Question for you folks with the same machine
How many hours do you get on the main PTO drive belt?
I get no more than 25 to 30 hours of cutting time - never have since it was new
At $55.00 for the belt it adds up fast

To date never an issue with the engine or the transmission
I have all the factory shop manuals and parts numbers as well if anyone needs assistance

Where are you getting your parts?
I have found "Honda" parts are getting more difficult to get and prices like everything else except wages are going UP fast
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM   post #4 of 7
rogerb
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 32376

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from New Freedom View Post
I just completed the replacement of the timing belt on my 1990 Honda 4514. I am the original owner and the belt had not been replaced in 20 years so I felt like I was mowing on borrowed time. I got an estimate of $600 for labor alone from the local Honda Power Equipment dealer. That's when I started researching doing it myself and came across this forum which provided some helpful information. Of course you can't believe everything you read. I came across one comment elsewhere which said you didn't have to remove the engine. No way is that the case. I have pretty basic mechanical skills so I thought I could share a few things I learned doing this job. First, I would not try this without a Shop Manual. My manual was issued in June, 1990 and while helpful is not perfect. The section covering engine removal indicates that the cooling fan and PTO clutch must be removed. I disconnected the PTO clutch cable from the PTO lever but left the clutch in place which worked out fine. I also left the cooling fan in place. I put a socket on the fan attachment nut to hold the crankshaft in place while removing the drive shaft bolts. The manual also says to remove the steering column screws and front floor mats which I did not do. I was nervous about removing the flywheel. I borrowed an electric impact wrench to remove the flywheel nut. That worked very well. I tryed pulling the flywheel with a 3 jawed gear puller put felt like I was exerting too much force on the flywheel perimeter. I found a tool on the internet which worked great. It is a Harmonic Balancer Puller. It is a steel yoke that bolts on to the flywheel using the driveshaft bolt holes. I was able to borrow one from Advance Auto Parts at no cost. The one I used was from PowerBuilt and even had the proper sized mounting bolts for the driveshaft mounting holes. After snugging up the yoke the flywheel popped right off with about one turn of the center puller bolt.

The old timing belt looked pretty good although there was excess slack in it and of course I replaced it after all the work to get to it. I had seen comments about the hidden water pump mounting bolt in other posts and sure enough you wouldn't know it was there by looking. It does show up in the manual diagram but would be easy to miss. You do have to use a screw driver to pry the flexible material away from the bolt to get a wrench on it but I probably only loosened it about a turn.

Well thats about it. Everything went back together. No extra parts and the Honda runs like new and I won't have to replace the belt again until I am 84.
I'm convinced that Hondas are most difficult to work on but they are so well built that it isn't often that you have to.
But you CAN replace the timing belt with the eng on as I have done it. It ain't easy and taking the eng out is the best thing to do.
At the time I didn't have the tools to remove the flywheel so I had my wife to hold two prybars under the wheel as I rapped on the end of the crankshaft (with nut on) and it popped loose easily. A crude way to do it. You know what they say about the mother of invention !!
I have been running the same eng for 25 years using the same sparkplugs. I love these mowers.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 AM   post #5 of 7
KJINTF
KJINTF

MTF Member # 58646

I like the Honda's as well
Purchsed mine new in 1996 so I guess that makes it 25 years old also
Next project is to replace the Belt Tensioner arm - Understand my stock one has caused the problem with eating the expensive belts
Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 PM   post #6 of 7
rogerb
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 32376

There isn't a tensioner arm for the timing belt. The belt tension is adjusted by the water pump drive cog. When you install a new belt make sure that there is not much deflection in the belt. Years of wear and tear breaks down the belt where it begins to slap and self destruct. Twenty five years is a long time for the belt. Hopefully you will experience the same life out of the new one.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 AM   post #7 of 7
KJINTF
KJINTF

MTF Member # 58646

Sorry for the confusion
I will be replacing the Main PTO Belt tensioner Arm assembly
Just learned Honda has a proper fix after years of buyng expensive belts
Guess my math is messed up the machien if 15 years old not 25 but I hope to still have it in 10 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.