runs only on choke - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 PM   post #1 of 31
sgull
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57154
Default runs only on choke

My pressure washer has a Briggs engine Model Number 150212, Type 0122 E9, Code 070612 with a float bowl carb. It was running along just fine, when suddenly it just quit with kind of a low pop backfire noise. Hoping the problem was simply I was out of gas, I checked the tank and saw it was almost empty, maybe empty enough to cause it to quit. Filled er up with gas and tried starting it and it would run, but only on choke. Move from choke to run and it immediately cuts out. I pulled the bowl off the carb thinking maybe crud in there, did see very slight trace of fleck, emptied it out wiped it out, put it back together and tried starting again. Same thing. Only runs on choke. I took the main jet off and made sure it was clear, I poked a fine tag wire all the way through the holes in it to make sure, then reinstalled and tried again. In fact I did that twice to make sure. Exact same result, no change. So, thinking maybe a failing gasket (air leak), while it was running (with choke closed) I sprayed some carb cleaner behind the carb along the mating surface with the block if the engine to see if the tempo would change, but it didn't change at all. Also I took the fuel line off the tank and examined the entire line from the tank outlet to the line outlet, and all is clear there, no obstruction or restriction. Put things back together and tried again. Same result. Absolutely no change. Runs when carb is choked only. Move to run and it immediately cuts out. Any ideas what could be causing this issue and why what I've tried so far hasn't helped? Must be something I'm missing, it cant be this complex.
sgull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 02:33 PM   post #2 of 31
Hootbot
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29103
Default Re: runs only on choke

Check the flywheel key, it could be damaged and throwing off the timing.
Hootbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 02:54 PM   post #3 of 31
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: runs only on choke

Check spark & plug.. replace plug if fouled.. Check the compression.. A sticking valve could cause your trouble.. If this is an OHV engine, pop the vlave cover and check the rocker arms and valve movement..

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM   post #4 of 31
sgull
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57154

Okay Hootboot I took off the flywheel cover and can see that the end of the flywheel key is still positioned where it should be in the keyway on the shaft, matched up with the keyway on the flywheel itself.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 PM   post #5 of 31
RamHD
Jack of (some) Trades...

MTF Member # 54281

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
Okay Hootboot I took off the flywheel cover and can see that the end of the flywheel key is still positioned where it should be in the keyway on the shaft, matched up with the keyway on the flywheel itself.
To be sure that the key is okay....If you can, you need to remove the fly wheel and inspect the key. Sometimes the key will very slightly shear/cut and not break all the way thru and it will throw the timing off enough to act crazy. It will look fine from the outside but can be sheared/cut just a little when you pull the fly wheel....

With it running only on choke...I think you may still have some trash in the carb somewhere.

Did you remove the float and needle and clean it and the fuel inlet?

If you have not already...I would suggest using some spray carb cleaner on the carb.

Let us know your results?

The majority as to numbers, wealth,and political influence are often wrong. If in such cases a person would do right, he must not be governed by public opinion, however it may be expressed, but by the law of God. {see Proverbs 4:14}
RamHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM   post #6 of 31
sgull
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57154

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamHD View Post
It will look fine from the outside but can be sheared/cut just a little when you pull the fly wheel....
With it running only on choke...I think you may still have some trash in the carb somewhere. Did you remove the float and needle and clean it and the fuel inlet? If you have not already...I would suggest using some spray carb cleaner on the carb.
Yes I removed the float and needle and cleaned the fuel inlet. I neglected to mention that I also blew air backward from the carb side of its fuel inlet (where the needle seat is) and there's no sign of restriction/blockage there. If I still have trash in the carb somewhere I'm at a loss as to where it could be, unless its possible its within the passages that might be only cleanable by removing the welch plug. I've already cleaned up the carb good with carb cleaner everywhere else. I poked tag wire through the pickup tube in the middle, etc. I think thats all clear.

I suppose I could pull the whole flywheel off to look at the entire key, but I don't have the puller tool required to do that.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:41 PM   post #7 of 31
sgull
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57154

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTractorTinkerer View Post
Check spark & plug.. replace plug if fouled.. Check the compression.. A sticking valve could cause your trouble.. If this is an OHV engine, pop the vlave cover and check the rocker arms and valve movement.
I get spark because the engine runs, but only on choke. The plug doesnt particularly look fouled, looks rather good as a matter of fact. It is an OHV engine, and I've already checked to see if the rocker arms move up and down while the engine is turned, they move up and down normally.

I suppose I could check the compression if you think that could be involved somehow in the problem as I've described it. But I don't have a compression tester.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 PM   post #8 of 31
cubguy2165
somanytractorsolittletime

MTF Member # 19361

Be careful blowing air thru the fuel line into the carb with the needle out some carbs have a flexible seat (some type of rubber or....) and you can blow it right out of the carb. Ask me how I know! 1 hr looking for it!
cubguy2165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 PM   post #9 of 31
dirtybernie
Retired Mod

MTF Member # 381

you say you poked a wire through the holes but did you clean the bolt holding the float bowl on?

that is an often overlooked spot and may be your problem.

Lawn-Mower-Central.com
dirtybernie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:08 PM   post #10 of 31
sgull
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57154

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubguy2165 View Post
Be careful blowing air thru the fuel line into the carb with the needle out some carbs have a flexible seat (some type of rubber or....) and you can blow it right out of the carb. Ask me how I know! 1 hr looking for it!
As I tried to describe, I blew the air backward from the carb side of its fuel inlet, so I was blowing toward the side of the seat where the needle seats, outward not inward toward the carb body. And my needle seat does happen to be the flexible rubber type, as you mention. Glad to hear you were able to finally find the seat you blew out. If I decide to blow the other way I'll be careful.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 PM   post #11 of 31
sgull
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57154

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybernie View Post
you say you poked a wire through the holes but did you clean the bolt holding the float bowl on?
Yeah the bolt that holds the float bowl on, which is also the "main jet" has three holes in it. One passage that goes through the threaded portion with its two holes (or openings) on each side, and then the other hole in the tail end of the bolt which goes down the middle center of the shaft of the bolt and meets with the passage through the threaded portion. These are the holes I poked the tag wire through to clean out any possible obstruction. Did it twice. Those passages are clean and clear. I wish I'd had found an obstruction and cleaned it from the main jet, then the problem would have been easily solved. But that isnt the case.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM   post #12 of 31
Heavy Hitch
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 34386

I would say it's definately in the carb...if it were ignition, then it wouldn't run at all. I had a 318 that backfired and blew one of the plugs out of the carb that caused it to not run at all unless the choke was on. Can you start it at idle will it run without the choke then? If so, you either have too much air or not enough fuel due to something plugged or missing. Sounds like you checked for the intake leaks...will it run at idle?
'46 Ford 2N
48" KK Tiller

Heavy Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 AM   post #13 of 31
sgull
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbiker View Post
Can you start it at idle will it run without the choke then? If so, you either have too much air or not enough fuel due to something plugged or missing. will it run at idle?
I guess I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "idle". The lever has the "choke" position on one end of it's movement, and the "run" position at the other end. It will only run in the "choke" position and as soon as its moved away from that position it stops running. It won't start in the "run" position at all. Is the "run" position the same as what you would be referring to as "idle"?

As I mentioned I checked for air leaks by spraying carb cleaner around the mating surface between the carb mount and the engine block while it was running (on choke, because that's the only time it runs) and there was absolutely no change in the tempo of the engine. If there's a blockage/obstruction within the carb causing it to starve for fuel I don't know where else to look other than where I haven't already looked and that would be the passage(s) behind the welch plug. And if there's an air leak I don't know where else I'd look either. You said maybe something missing? Like what would be missing?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 AM   post #14 of 31
featherft
MTF Member

MTF Member # 55152

Try this--

Pull the mfuel line off the mcarb and makemsure you havem na full flow of fuel. If not-your problem is in the fuel filter / screen- IF GOOD flow problem is in the carb OR the fuel line (old-cracked)
featherft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 12:54 AM   post #15 of 31
sgull
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57154

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherft View Post
Pull the mfuel line off the mcarb and makemsure you havem na full flow of fuel. If not-your problem is in the fuel filter / screen- IF GOOD flow problem is in the carb OR the fuel line (old-cracked)
I already did as you suggest, and there is full flow of fuel out of the fuel line when I run the fuel into a cup while the fuel line is disconnected from the carb. I examined the fuel line and it's in good shape, its not old nor cracked. There is no fuel filter or screen, never was (probably be best if there was but there isnt any). Already determined the problem is with the carb but can't find where/what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.